Feel like closing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillypie

Reaction score
Does any other salon owner feel like I do ?
After a year of staff problems, difficult clients and the feeling of never being able to switch off and relax I am finally starting to think about selling up .
I am constantly worried about everything from staff issues and laws and the new pensions to skin testing and the worry about being sued for something although I never have been sued !
Also the unrealistic demands of the clients who always want the impossible from Pinterest and will screw you to the floor if you don't achieve it or take to social media to run you down !
I just feel now with young children at home that I want to be able to completely relax when I am off and I can't !
I actually had the best year financially last year than we have ever had but unfortunately the busier you become the more hassle comes with it.
I don't fancy going mobile but somehow just want little old me and my regular clients who I love.
How do you all manage these feelings if you have them ?

Ar Lillypie I feel for you. I actually felt like this recently (after my busiest month ever!) You sound completely overwhelmed and have obviously had lots to deal with. Is it an option for you to take some (proper!) time off and maybe get away on a break / holiday? It sounds like you need to totally remove yourself from the action and reflect on what you want to do. It's hard to make any kind of decision when you're up close & in the thick of it. Time to take some time for yourself & regroup. Once you're chilled & relaxed it's so much easier to make a decision that's not knee-jerk or rash. And good to remind yourself why you got into this in the first place, and look at everything you've achieved. Sending you a hug.... sounds like you need it :) x

Thank you cathi I definitely needed that [emoji22]my problem is that it seems when I take time off problems increase , and I can't enjoy my time off as it causes more worry of what's going to happen next.
Just jaded about the whole thing really ! Starting to think hairdressing is not for me anymore !

Does any other salon owner feel like I do ?
After a year of staff problems, difficult clients and the feeling of never being able to switch off and relax I am finally starting to think about selling up .
I am constantly worried about everything from staff issues and laws and the new pensions to skin testing and the worry about being sued for something although I never have been sued !
Also the unrealistic demands of the clients who always want the impossible from Pinterest and will screw you to the floor if you don't achieve it or take to social media to run you down !
I just feel now with young children at home that I want to be able to completely relax when I am off and I can't !
I actually had the best year financially last year than we have ever had but unfortunately the busier you become the more hassle comes with it.
I don't fancy going mobile but somehow just want little old me and my regular clients who I love.
How do you all manage these feelings if you have them ?

I feel most of the above....some of the time...but not all! (I won't go down without a fight) :cool:
How hard has earning a living from this profession become....?
UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION at every turn.......
So many, expecting something for NOTHING......:mad:

I've had clients tell me they've DEMANDED a re-do at the local NSS, cos they've done a bad job....ACRYLIC NAILS FOR A TENNER!!!!! o_O

I too, have found it nigh on impossible to get good staff, employed or self employed.....
They expect it all on their terms...but aren't able to bring anything to the table! :p

I wish we could all join forces, and turn it round.....
The PROFESSION as we know it, is in trouble. :(

Thank you cathi I definitely needed that [emoji22]my problem is that it seems when I take time off problems increase , and I can't enjoy my time off as it causes more worry of what's going to happen next.
Just jaded about the whole thing really ! Starting to think hairdressing is not for me anymore !

If you haven't got a good manager in place, meaning you can't take time off without stressing & worrying, then maybe it is time to rethink. Or at least look at removing yourself from a salon environment. Is working from a home salon an option, and just keeping your regulars? Life is too short and you need to put your (and your family's) happiness first. x

I feel most of the above....some of the time...but not all! (I won't go down without a fight) :cool:
How hard has earning a living from this profession become....?
UNREALISTIC EXPECTATION at every turn.......
So many, expecting something for NOTHING......:mad:

I've had clients tell me they've DEMANDED a re-do at the local NSS, cos they've done a bad job....ACRYLIC NAILS FOR A TENNER!!!!! o_O

I too, have found it nigh on impossible to get good staff, employed or self employed.....
They expect it all on their terms...but aren't able to bring anything to the table! :p

I wish we could all join forces, and turn it round.....
The PROFESSION as we know it, is in trouble. :(

I get very jaded by it too. Competing with girls who've done a 1-day course and charge 15euros for hands AND toes, dodgy hygiene and no A&P qualifications. And very demanding clients who expect you to be on call 24/7. It is tough. But (90% of the time!) I still love it. The day I wake up and don't want to do it, I'll get out. And, at the end of the day, there is wine !! Ha! ;) Chin up chicks.... you're awesome and you make a (big!!) difference to people. That's why we do it :)

I have got a good manager but ultimately the buck still stops with me and it's the feeling of responsibility for what everyone else is doing as well that gets me .
Thanks guys !
Think we should start a fed up owners group :( I will sleep on it a bit more and see if I am more cheery in a week !

Just wanted to say I hope you are feeling better. If not and it persists just wanted to mention that I have recently set up by myself from home and absolutely loving it. I know it would be a big change but would certainly take all the stress of others off your shoulders. Definitely worth a thought especially as you have a ready made client base :) good luck x

Thanks beauty belle ,still thinking what I want to do , some days I love it and others I don't ! Definitely need to make some changes to start with then going to see from there . Home option has been thought of but I would probably need to move to get the right set up so very expensive as I would want it completely separate from my main home like a garage conversion or something .

Home salon has it's advantages....but having been there, seen it, got the tee shirt, it also has many draw backs!

It's RECLAIMING OUR INDUSTRY that we all should be focusing on.......:cool:

You'll STILL be servicing client's who want it all for a tenner!.....In fact, home salon set ups will get the client questioning why are they charging as much as a salon, when they don't have the same over heads! o_O

I agree with you Red Star plus I really like my home to be my sanctuary and worry I may get people knocking my door day and night ! Reclaiming our industry is right , I feel in hairdressing that the right staff are hard to find , the college leavers need complete retraining but expect big wages because the living wage has kicked in especially for over 25's but they are still apprentice level.
The clients as you say think everything should cost a tenner but at the same time want top end service , decor , coffee etc and if their Pinterest inspired look isn't exactly the same they won't pay at all !
I feel I am constantly watching over my shoulder at what my other staff are doing in case it's something I feel is again unrealistic as I know what clients expectations are like which means I am sometimes not giving my clients the 100% attention they deserve !
I feel the only way I will stay at the moment is to start refusing a hell of a lot of work , the Pinterest clients , the ten pounders, the risky jobs , the colour removal ( I don't want to see any orange ) clients , the ( I want this done in one session from black to white clients [emoji85].
Blimey I think I just realised how fed up I am sorry for ranting guys [emoji23].
Bottom line I have been in this industry over 20 years and I hate seeing the way it's going.
I have friends dying very young of cancer with young children at home yet I have people in my shop moaning about a slight millishade of colour difference that's impossible anyway from their Pinterest filtered inspired look!
I am exhausted by it all and think eventually I just want to rent a chair and do my favourites.

Latest posts

Back