Feel like giving up on L&P

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmadmum

Reaction score
Hi geeks

This is first time I have ever felt the need to really moan on SG, but the fact that I have sat in tears for the last half hour has made me feel I really needed to sit and moan on here, so I hope you don't mind, but I just need to get this off my chest. Sorry if its a long one.

So my background is, trained (badly 2 years ago in L & P - dismal course). Practiced and practiced, finally started to get into it a year ago and have used guinea pigs at cost price to gain my skills. Converted to CND last September, which was IMO the best thing I could have done. However I started to get issues with lifting, nails not lasting long etc. Spoke to my EA and bought nail prime and nail fresh. Still no luck, started to get disheartened so went and did a 1 to 1 with my EA. Fabulous! Really helped! Although I must say all through my little journey I take a minimum of 1 and half hours to do a set!

I finally set my home salon up about 2 months ago, and am currently struggling to get people in. It was at the time I set up that a young girl asked if I could do patterned tips! I didn't even think of asking my EA (I was so happy that this could be a potential new customer) that I went and bought the requested tips (bad move, I know). Well all I can say is the l & p just literally fell off the tips as they were still shiny! It was a complete disaster, but I finally managed to do the full set. They actually looked ok (as ok as they could be).
A day later she sends me a picture and they look absolutely awful! In all fairness to me she is a hairdresser and decided to wreck her nails by not protecting them.
But that was the day I lost all confidence in doing l & p. I did another hairdressers nails a few weeks prior (as a guinea pig and hers lifted in 3 days), so after this I just started going downhill. As a result I have gone back to asking for models to get my skills up. But they seem to get worse each time I do a set. Now I am the first to admit I am very critical of my work, but this set I have just done looked all bumpy, I don't seem to have any method in applying to any zones. The girl was over the moon, but I just felt so down about how bad they looked!
I just can't believe after all my hard work and practice that I have put in that I seem to be getting worse (and slower by the day).

I really don't want to give up doing L & P as I have invested quite a bit of money over the last 2 years, and I used to love doing them, I am just getting to the point of crying each time I do a set. As a 45 year old grown woman, I feel daft crying over this!

Anyway, enough rambling, anyone got any advice? I also have Gigi's book, the CND cd, and am avidly watching Fingernail fixers videos, but I just don't seem to be getting the light bulb moment!:cry:
Thanks for listening geeks.

Sarah x

Hi Sarah,
First of all don't get upset, I'm sure this has happened to all of us at some point!
I was just wondering what your prep was like? Do you have the same issues if you use the white/clear tips from CND or if you sculpt?

Don't get disheartened, I can still do the odd set now that I don't feel very happy with but I'm really critical of my work too.
Just do as many sets as you can to practise and you'll soon gain your confidence. Watching the videos is a really good idea but have you looked back through our notes as a refresher? I'm not trying to say that you don't know what you're doing but it might just give you that lightbulb moment!

Good luck!!
Kelly x

I'm new to nail enhancements still on my training course, and I have found l&p have been really hard to do in this heat it's ok in the classroom as air con is on but at home it's just setting really fast.

I hope things get better for you I'm afraid I can't offer any advice but didn't want to read and run.

Hig hugs :hug:

Jo

I am going to give you the :idea: moment. I think what you are NOT doing is pressing and packing the product onto the nail before smoothing the bead.

Many are frightened to press too hard for fear that the product will ride up onto the skin and then lift later. It is for this reason that to press nice and firmly onto the surface, you have to place the bead in the right place so that you have room to press back and up towards the Eponychium and not touch the skin surrounding the nail plate..

If you do not press that product nice and firmly, the bead will not make a good enough contact with the keratin of the nail plate. VITAL!! you cannot be delicate and wimpy with your bead. Take control and press with a decent size brush (number 10). THEN smooth very lightly into place to make the surface perfect and easy to file.

I think you are getting confused with information over load!! If I had you for 5 minutes, you would be making nails that do not lift. Stick to one method not 3 or 4. Keep it simple. Then you will start to love it again.

You do not need to prime to get good adhesion ... what you need to do is to PRESS. JUst firm yet gentle. xx

I bet you 1000.00 that you do not have any lifting problems in zones 1 or 2 where you are comfortable!! It will be in zone 3, where you are scared and tickle the product into place instead of taking charge and pressing it!! Tell me I am wrong about this ... I'm not!! :)

Sarah, i understand your pain, ive been there!!but dont give up at it just yet. Take gigis advice about placement and pressure and practice on lots of tips to perfect your technique. Once you feel you have mastered and are happy then start doing your own whether it be tips or overlays. Once you can do your own anyone elses are easy!! I think maybe you werent 100% confident before you started on clients and so you are more dejected than you would have been if you had maybe had more practice and felt more confident.

Dont let it beat you as you will always wonder. I dont even do that many L+P now BUT i dont feel nervous like i used to and i have faith in my work where as before i used to wait for the phone to ring!

If all else fails take a trip and come and see me!! Im no expert by far where L+P is concerned BUT i do know where i was going wrong all these years after some fabulous 121 with justine. Justine showed me not only what to do but what NOT to do if that makes sense. Im happy to help if i can.

Wipe those tears and keep smiling xx

I am going to give you the :idea: moment. I think what you are NOT doing is pressing and packing the product onto the nail before smoothing the bead.

Many are frightened to press too hard for fear that the product will ride up onto the skin and then lift later. It is for this reason that to press nice and firmly onto the surface, you have to place the bead in the right place so that you have room to press back and up towards the Eponychium and not touch the skin surrounding the nail plate..

If you do not press that product nice and firmly, the bead will not make a good enough contact with the keratin of the nail plate. VITAL!! you cannot be delicate and wimpy with your bead. Take control and press with a decent size brush (number 10). THEN smooth very lightly into place to make the surface perfect and easy to file.

I think you are getting confused with information over load!! If I had you for 5 minutes, you would be making nails that do not lift. Stick to one method not 3 or 4. Keep it simple. Then you will start to love it again.

You do not need to prime to get good adhesion ... what you need to do is to PRESS. JUst firm yet gentle. xx

I bet you 1000.00 that you do not have any lifting problems in zones 1 or 2 where you are comfortable!! It will be in zone 3, where you are scared and tickle the product into place instead of taking charge and pressing it!! Tell me I am wrong about this ... I'm not!! :)

Gigi do you have any tutorial videos, I have your book but I find I learn better if I watch someone :Love:

Babes

Look back through my articles Im 45 and last year was going through exactly the same thing. Can I just add that including exactly what geeg said which I wasnt doing also check your mix ratio.

I was working far too dry. The bead was only workable on one side of the nail by the time I went to smooth the other side you couldnt press in because it was already going hard. Whilst you dont want a completely runny bead you do need enough liquid to make the bead smooth out. why dont you get a friend and do exactly what geeg said about pressing the bead and check you mix ratio. Do this set without any thought of them being good or bad just literally go extreme then see if you have any lifting you may be very surprised. I work in a kitchen and im not allowed overlays but Ive been wearing them as an experiment and mine have not budged at all.

also one last thing do overlays on yourself and you will be surprised what you learn. Good luck and DONT GIVE UP. :hug::hug:xxxxx

Gigi do you have any tutorial videos, I have your book but I find I learn better if I watch someone :Love:
That is why I went to such great pains to write the book so clearly ... If you cannot visualise you cannot do. I never did a DVD to go with the book and now I most likely never will.

That is why I went to such great pains to write the book so clearly ... If you cannot visualise you cannot do. I never did a DVD to go with the book and now I most likely never will.

The book is clear but different people have different learning techniques sadly one size does not fit all, I cannot visualize brilliantly by words as I have more of an auditory learning technique so really enjoy watching ans listening, would have loved to have seen you in action. :biggrin:

Thank you so much for all your advice and support ladies - made me feel tearful again.
Kelly, my prep is probably too thorough, spend way too long! Haven't even tried mastering sculpting yet but think I may try this later on, see if it helps. And yes looking back on my notes will help, thank you.

Jo, I agree with the heat problem, I really struggled with my ratio, off to practice that too.

Gigi, I think you may have given me the start of the lightbulb moment. Am off to try pressing and packing, which is what I have been doing, BUT I think I was pressing too hard as when going into zone 2, I was "squishing" zone 1 down!:sad:. You are definitely right about zone 1, I place it far too near the eponchium and then kinda give it little kisses and pats on top, I need to stop being a woos! Agreed, too much information overload, so am going to stick with your book. I am definitely starting to get something clicking on and off here so am off to practice. You are right, I do not get lifting in zone 1 and 2, however the apex is all over the blimen place, lifting is zone 3. Still doesn't help with the bulbous dreadful looking other zones. But onwards and upwards. Thank you

Souz - There's my other problem, I can do my own nails perfectly! How weird is that? So many people tell me my own nails look fab!! I had my 1 to 1 with Justine and she really did help me, this is why its so frustrating as it seems I am dead set on not doing what she taught me. Its like I have forgotten everything she said. And I might just have to take you up on that offer one day, if not for help, just so I could meet you.

K-Nails - thank you will go back to basics and practice my ratio, definitely think the heat is not helping.

So once again, thank you, gorgeous geeks. I really do appreciate all your help. I still feel down about it, but because of your help I am not going to give up. Just don't blame me if I keep moaning for a few weeks on here. :o First time in ages I have felt so bad about something, but you guys have really perked me up.
Sarah x

Oops! Meant to say you are right about zone 3 (not 1) Gigi, this is my main downfall.
xx

Oops! Meant to say you are right about zone 3 (not 1) Gigi, this is my main downfall.
xx

That and you are using way to much product by the sound of it. Make smaller beads. You don't have to press HARD ... no extremes, but you do need to ensure a good contact and that means pressing all along the sides as well as in the middle.

Step away from it for a week ... enjoy the sunshine .. then take a fresh look at it.

Just jumping in, you got some great advice, but I was thinking that maybe there could be another reason...

When we age our eyesight isn't what it used to be. I got a 5X lighted magnifier to have a look through as I work on the nail, and the lifting stopped for me. I was wearing glasses, and thought I could see just fine (for everyday activities and reading...yes). Once I was able to really examine my work up close, it really made a difference, so I thought I would put this out there.

Sarah, i think on top of everything you are overthinking when working on clients and letting your need for perfection as well as nerves get the better of you. Try to relax more and enjoy when you are doing a set, you will find it comes a lot more naturally that way. pressure is the root of all evils!!

anytime you want to meet up just say the word hun xx

That and you are using way to much product by the sound of it. Make smaller beads. You don't have to press HARD ... no extremes, but you do need to ensure a good contact and that means pressing all along the sides as well as in the middle.

Step away from it for a week ... enjoy the sunshine .. then take a fresh look at it.

I stand amazed! How can you know if my beads are too large? I know you know all there is about nails but this one has really made me wonder if you actually secretly watching me somewhere ;-) I never think I have enough bead, especially on zone 1 as I can't do it in one go. But I am going to take your advice and step back for a few days. X

Just jumping in, you got some great advice, but I was thinking that maybe there could be another reason...

When we age our eyesight isn't what it used to be. I got a 5X lighted magnifier to have a look through as I work on the nail, and the lifting stopped for me. I was wearing glasses, and thought I could see just fine (for everyday activities and reading...yes). Once I was able to really examine my work up close, it really made a difference, so I thought I would put this out there.

This could really help me, I actually bought really strong glasses to help but a magnifier may help me. God I hate getting old. Any ideas where I can buy one? X

Sarah, i think on top of everything you are overthinking when working on clients and letting your need for perfection as well as nerves get the better of you. Try to relax more and enjoy when you are doing a set, you will find it comes a lot more naturally that way. pressure is the root of all evils!!

anytime you want to meet up just say the word hun xx

Hit the nail on the head my lovely! I think I realised this today when the client texted me to say she loves her nails and has just seen some shellac nail art I put on my website and could I possibly squeeze her in to have the same!

Think we will have to meet up I can give you some tips on SV and you can help me stop doubting myself! X

Latest posts

Back