Feel like giving up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ54

Reaction score
Hope you geeks can help get my enthusiam back. My own nails are in such a bad way after taking off Shellac that was really hard to remove. They are dry and feel quite rough. Thought I would try putting polish on to give them a rest from shellac but they are so uneven they look awful. My CND trainer has given up on me I think as when I emailed her she said to refer to my handbook. I just feel that if my own nails are like that and I dont know what to do, better not touch anybody elses. I dont think I have been too heavy handed with PEP. I have booked myself on a short course at college for nails but it doesnt start till January so want to keep practising till then. Thanks :Scared:

What about putting a thin gel overlay on them to give them a bit of strength and make them look smoother?x

Hey really sorry to hear that :-( you need to look at why it was so hard to remove - was your base coat too thick? Are you using the whole CND system? Shellac shouldn't be difficult to remove. Try applying solar oil twice per day to replenish your nails, it's really good stuff. HTH :)

Thanks for your replies. I have done all the steps of PEP and watched countless You Tube Videos of how its done and it looks straight foward but when I come to do it, its a different story. The bottle of base coat I was using may be near the end would that make any difference?

Hiyas hun, hugs as you sound so down, how are you removing it? Just with the remover? Or using a orange stick? Also maybe try the new remover it is very good if you do it again on your nails xx

Thanks for your replies. I have done all the steps of PEP and watched countless You Tube Videos of how its done and it looks straight foward but when I come to do it, its a different story. The bottle of base coat I was using may be near the end would that make any difference?

Putting on base coat too thickly can make removal a bit harder but Shellac doesn't damage nails nor would the removal so the issue has been caused by either your preparation or removal.
How did you remove it? What were your nails like when you were applying Shellac, you should be able to tell if your PEP was incorrect or caused damage there and then so I'm thinking that you've been too hard on removing. There's no real work in removal and product literally flakes away.
Getting to the end of a bottle wouldn't matter, only if you applied it thicker sometimes it's like a residue is left but this is easily removed without going 90 with an orange stick.
Talk us through your steps.

Iam using cuticle away pushing lightly upwards along nail plate with pusher then a currette around epynychium and down sides then washing off cuticle away. Applying Shellac base cure 10 secs, 2 coats of colour cure 2 mins,then top coat cure 2 mins. For removal I use wraps soaked with Dsperse leave for 10mins but it never comes off as easily as it looks on all videos I have seen. I use orange wood stick but colour seems to stick to rough bits on nail. I try to take it off with pad with dsperse on it but even the it sticks. My nails are not split or peeling but just feel rough over nail plate. Thanks for taking time to reply.

Dsperse to remove? x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Iam using cuticle away pushing lightly upwards along nail plate with pusher then a currette around epynychium and down sides then washing off cuticle away. Applying Shellac base cure 10 secs, 2 coats of colour cure 2 mins,then top coat cure 2 mins. For removal I use wraps soaked with Dsperse leave for 10mins but it never comes off as easily as it looks on all videos I have seen. I use orange wood stick but colour seems to stick to rough bits on nail. I try to take it off with pad with dsperse on it but even the it sticks. My nails are not split or peeling but just feel rough over nail plate. Thanks for taking time to reply.
Hun, you should be using acetone or d-solve to remove or the new cnd nourishing remover not deperse, thats where you are going wrong. Dsperse is just for removing the tacky/sticky layer after you have cured. It is not for removal. :)

Sorry meant D.solve!!!!

Are you saturating the pad on the wraps and getting them nice and snug right on the nail?
It sounds like you have residue left, which is from too thick a base coat. You should be able to cover all nails on one hand with one go of the brush, wiping off excess before you apply. Some nails you would obviously need to redip but give it a go and try and do your nails on one hand without redipping back in the bottle, look closely at the product covering the nail and you will see how little you need to cover the nail.
I tend to shake base coat well, take out brush and wipe it well in the neck so a lot of the product is off, dot the brush on each nail and then go over each one to cover, nice and thin....when I fist started it did take me a while to get the perfect amount of application.
Don't force the product off your nail, rewrap if you need to.
Do make sure that the pad of the wrap is tight right on the nail, that your hands aren't cold as this does impact on removal. I tend to wrap hands in a towel when doing removals.

The cold weather is playing havoc with my GelColour. Have you tried wrapping the nails with desolve and wraps then covering hands with a hotwaterbottle or wheat bag and leave for ten minutes before even looking at then.

Time yourself one minute seems like an age when soaking off. Sometimes we check to quickly.

Xx

I had similar experience been wearing shellac for long time and I always use solar oil. I have started using Nailtiques formula 1 which is clear and makes my nails look so smooth and shiny and brighter. The feel amazing too only been using couple of days too! You can use it as a base coat then use normal polish and again use it as a top coat. And thn apply every other day on top. Or on its own as a protein every other day. So amazing xxx

Do you use Nailtiques Formula 1 instead of Solar Oil and where do you buy it from? sounds very good. Thanks

Do you use Nailtiques Formula 1 instead of Solar Oil and where do you buy it from? sounds very good. Thanks

In the salon I work in we use Nailtiques as we offer a Nailtiques manicure and pedicure as something different to regular mani/pedi. So we also retail it for clients to use at home. We get ours from directly Nailtiques. If you ring them I would imagine you can open an account? Or maybe you can find it on the Internet not sure where though you would have to have a look.

And I still use solar oil when I'm wearing shellac, I use it twice a day but my nails still end up like they do so every 3/4 shellacs I stop for week and use this protein and I see a difference within the first two days.

Have you tried booking a one to one session with your CND educator? You mention going on a nail course at college in the new year but I cant see how that would really help with Shellac as I cant believe anyone is going to understand it better than CND.

Maybe contact Sweet squared and see if you can speak with a different educator. Sometimes a different person might just explain something in a slightly different way that might help it click?

I enjoy doing Shellac so much I hope it falls into place for you soon!

Last edited:
Do you have cold hands? If my hands are cold then the acetone/remover just doesn't work as well and the product doesn't flake off like it is supposed to.
Try warming hands up prior to and during removal. Hot Water Bottle/MicrowaveWheatBags/HeatedMitts etc.

Latest posts

Back