Feel like I'm addicted to eating and can't give up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I was in the same position as you I am on medication which messes with your sugar levels and appetite and went from at 10 to a 20 in a matter of months. I think you need to see a doctor, obviously I don't know how big you are but being big can really make you unhealthy and you could have developed a physical problem that is making you eat more. Make an appointment with your GP. You could have binge eating problem, once you go down the doctors route maby the only thing you could do is try for obesity surgery. I know women who have don't it through NHS and its maby something you could consider. I've lost weight through slimming world and excersize now but to be honest I don't have any kids or other half and can be selfish and concentrate on myself. Many it's time to go down the medical route, please don't take offence. Xxxxx

Thanks SarahPoppy for your post. I'm not offended at all. But the only medical problem I have is my love for eating. My weight isn't rising for no reason. I'm eating more than ever. It's psychological, it's a bad habit and I need to break it. Thankfully I'm not quite bad enough yet for surgery unless they can do a brain swap with someone who hates food! Lol xxx

Thanks Nearlyme, your post was very helpful. What you've said makes perfect sense. I bought wholemeal bread today, I usually buy white. God knows why, i actually love brown. I don't really eat pasta but when the occasion arises I will buy wholewheat. I'm only drinking tea, coffee and water. Hate sweeteners. Dont have sugar in my tea/coffee, never have.

I had a meltdown tonight and popped some popcorn...not from a microwave but the proper raw stuff on the stove so I could monitor the oil amount used. I've also had 2 fingers of kitkat but feel satisfied now. It could have been a lot worse. It's usually 2 slices of toast or pitta bread dripping in butter, 4 custard cream biscuits, some crisps and then a glass of wine.

My meals during the day are fine, it's just ALL that stuff in-between.
Tomorrow going to cut out the popcorn and just have the 2 fingers of kitkat as a treat with a cup of tea.

No need for drastic surgery. Im 5'8 and need to lose about 4 stone. I'm obese but not morbidly. Yet.

Dont say your not going to have something tomorrow. The moment I say that all I cam think is "popcorn popcorn popcorn" and I will probably eat ten times as much of it as I would if say I popped a few handfulls and weighed it into 25g bags and said "oh I have some lovely air popped popcorn which I can ear if I want to" them just have 1 of my 25g bags :) its about not depriving yourself (bit of a tip, air popped corn is really good for you as it a little olive oil, the sugar,sweeteners, glucose in the kit kat is not as good for you. Popcorn is slower burning them kit kat so your less likely to binge);)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Diet clubs don't work for everyone but do for some my friend was bigger than me and she changed her life around with slimming world as did my friends mum and that was 15 years ago and she is still living a healthy life now despite the menopause and bad bad family issues. A healthy diet will make you lose weight if you do it but I really think that you have to adopt a life style change and stick at being healthy forever, even if that doesn't mean going to a groups each week just a change of habits. I do a cheat meal each week and I still lose weight plus my group leader is slim and had been for years so of course they work for some people. I'm dedicated and don't feel deprived as I decided to make a life long change, like with my smoking. It's just what works for one doesn't work for all xxx

Ok, if I feel like a binge I'll have the popcorn first and then if I feel I really need it I might have the kitkat. I won't really NEED it though will I? I'll just bloody WANT it. Cos it's there. Calling me! :sad:

Dont say your not going to have something tomorrow. The moment I say that all I cam think is "popcorn popcorn popcorn" and I will probably eat ten times as much of it as I would if say I popped a few handfulls and weighed it into 25g bags and said "oh I have some lovely air popped popcorn which I can ear if I want to" them just have 1 of my 25g bags :) its about not depriving yourself (bit of a tip, air popped corn is really good for you as it a little olive oil, the sugar,sweeteners, glucose in the kit kat is not as good for you. Popcorn is slower burning them kit kat so your less likely to binge);)

Oh and it took me about 6 months but my weight fluctuates by about 10lb

I succumbed to sw 5 weeks ago. Because I was struggling to control my binging..grand total of 2lb lost following it religiously lol. Am going back to my healthy eating plan and accepting I am a woman, my weight will fluctuate but if im healthy it doesnt matter lol

Ok, if I feel like a binge I'll have the popcorn first and then if I feel I really need it I might have the kitkat. I won't really NEED it though will I? I'll just bloody WANT it. Cos it's there. Calling me! :sad:

Then tell yourself you can have it if you want but your chosing not to. Better still take the packet to the bin or nearest homeless person x

Then tell yourself you can have it if you want but your chosing not to. Better still take the packet to the bin or nearest homeless person x

Are you really going to let a two fingered chocolate bar control you

I have had a reoccurring problem with binge eating my whole life.
Fortunately I'm a very active size 8.
It leads back to childhood years.

I visited the doctor and saw a therapist weekly for around 6 months to get to the route of the problem but didn't help.
I returned to the doctor as it was ruling my life hours of starvation then crazy binges.
I got put in citalopram and has done wonders. I also take chromium supliment from holland and Barry which evens blood sugar level which jnocks off sugar cravings.
Binge eating is a serious problem but is so misunderstood with the impact it makes in your life.

Get to a gp they are so understanding. Also before you go make a food diary be truthful it's easier for the doctor to see how your patterns go.

Feel free to pm me as I know it's hard to talk about it to someone who doesn't understand.

Good luck

I'm not overweight, but my eating has become terrible and not very healthy; I'm so sweet toothed it's rediculous! If there's chocolate in the house, it will find its way to my mouth; the only way I can cut down is not to buy it or have it in the house, but then my husband goes and gets a big pack and there I am binging on it again! I'm so scared of diabetes, as I know I have far too much sugar.

When I'm stressed, that's when I turn to chocolate; I need to find an alternative, but it will probably be boring and not taste as good lol!

It's good that you recognise there is a problem in your diet, as it's the first step; we need to motivate each other to stay away from naughty foods! x

I'm not overweight, but my eating has become terrible and not very healthy; I'm so sweet toothed it's rediculous! If there's chocolate in the house, it will find its way to my mouth; the only way I can cut down is not to buy it or have it in the house, but then my husband goes and gets a big pack and there I am binging on it again! I'm so scared of diabetes, as I know I have far too much sugar.

When I'm stressed, that's when I turn to chocolate; I need to find an alternative, but it will probably be boring and not taste as good lol!

It's good that you recognise there is a problem in your diet, as it's the first step; we need to motivate each other to stay away from naughty foods! x

How about smoking? Do you smoke? When I smoked 12 years ago, no weight issues. I thought i was overweight but realise now i wasnt. Perhaps we could take that up as there's no calories in a cigarette! No, no, I'm just kidding!!!!! I'm a real anti smoker now.

How about smoking? Do you smoke? When I smoked 12 years ago, no weight issues. I thought i was overweight but realise now i wasnt. Perhaps we could take that up as there's no calories in a cigarette! No, no, I'm just kidding!!!!! I'm a real anti smoker now.

No I don't smoke or drink, so chocolate is my 'thing' lol! I'm also bad with diet coke - it's my 'drink' and if I've got it at home it's ALL I drink!

I think there tends to be a misconception about weight and healthy eating, as I know I eat badly, but people think I eat healthy as I'm slim; my mum is overweight and she eats so healthily; so I think it's more about having a good diet and nutrition and our bodies will reach a good balance. Grrrrr how can I give up chocolate though?!! I'm going to try swapping for dark chocolate; at least it will have less sugar, and then cut that down; I think if I go cold turkey I'm just going to binge!

It's a good idea to keep a food diary too; my friend kept one and realised where changes needed to be done. WE CAN DO IT! WE'RE STRONG WOMEN AND WE CAN TAKE CONTROL!x

No I don't smoke or drink, so chocolate is my 'thing' lol! I'm also bad with diet coke - it's my 'drink' and if I've got it at home it's ALL I drink!

I think there tends to be a misconception about weight and healthy eating, as I know I eat badly, but people think I eat healthy as I'm slim; my mum is overweight and she eats so healthily; so I think it's more about having a good diet and nutrition and our bodies will reach a good balance. Grrrrr how can I give up chocolate though?!! I'm going to try swapping for dark chocolate; at least it will have less sugar, and then cut that down; I think if I go cold turkey I'm just going to binge!

It's a good idea to keep a food diary too; my friend kept one and realised where changes needed to be done. WE CAN DO IT! WE'RE STRONG WOMEN AND WE CAN TAKE CONTROL!x

I'd go for the really dark chocolate. The more cocoa the better. It's so strong you will only be able to eat a little and it might help your craving. Although milk chocolate is mainly sugar and fat.

Like you said above, it's swapping the good for the bad. I just went on my power walk and popped into the shops on my way back and bought wholemeal rice cakes, almonds (not salted or sugared), some hummus and a bag of apples. Last weeknit would have been a chocolate bar and a packet of crisps which would have lasted me 5 minutes. Would have scoffed it without tasting it. I'm now eating my lunch consisting of rice cakes with boiled egg and you know what? It's really nice!

Don't buy any more coke. I use to have it in the house all the time and went through 3 cans a day. After a few days you won't miss it. You'll feel better for not drinking it, I promise! Now I only have it as a treat if I'm out for lunch which is probably about once a month.

God I could have written this post. I'm eating so much chocolate just now especially now as I'm on my time of the month. Plus I'm a secret eater (don't tell anyone). I bought a bag of haribo today just for me and have hidden it in my bag :) Love healthy food but it's quite expensive at times and a bit of a faff when you're busy with a baby and trying to start your business. I make the best excuses, huh?! Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

So today decided to start the 'fast diet' 5:2 (eat normal for 5 days and eat 500 cals a day for 2) to kick start the weight loss and then eat 1200-1500 calories a day which I know I can do as last year I ate 1200 a day for 3/4 months !

But I've already given up:( as I hadn't planned it until I was in work..
for breakfast i had one slice of brown bread with one grilled tomato ( instead of a buttery croissant with bacon and tomato and tea with two sugars and milk)
and for lunch a bowl of lentil soup ( didn't eat the roll with it or the crisps I bought just incase lol!) and still only have 185 cals left for dinner Nd a tin of healthy soup is 190!!! And I've come home to my mum making homemade steak pie :(! There goes that idea haha !!xx

God I could have written this post. I'm eating so much chocolate just now especially now as I'm on my time of the month. Plus I'm a secret eater (don't tell anyone). I bought a bag of haribo today just for me and have hidden it in my bag :) Love healthy food but it's quite expensive at times and a bit of a faff when you're busy with a baby and trying to start your business. I make the best excuses, huh?! Xx

Sorry I dont buy into the "healthy food is expensive" thing. I feed my family 3 meals a day for £65. Xxx

Sorry I dont buy into the "healthy food is expensive" thing. I feed my family 3 meals a day for £65. Xxx

Wow. £65 a day is quite a lot. You must have a very big family or expensive taste! :D

I know you meant per week.....well" I hope that's what you meant!

You'll be proud of me. I had porridge for breakfast! Felt full for ages.

Only snack was the almonds.

Just went to my 2 daughter's school open day and felt like a big fat frump in front of all the other mums. Made me more determined! They wont recognise me after the summer hols.

Wow. £65 a day is quite a lot. You must have a very big family or expensive taste! :D

I know you meant per week.....well" I hope that's what you meant!

You'll be proud of me. I had porridge for breakfast! Felt full for ages.

Only snack was the almonds.

Just went to my 2 daughter's school open day and felt like a big fat frump in front of all the other mums. Made me more determined! They wont recognise me after the summer hols.

Of course I meant week..although I do love food lol doh

We do generally eat well. I guess I was meaning/moaning as my shopping bill seems to be rocketing just now. Probably all the extra chocolate ;)

Been there, done that, ate the lot. I find the only thing that works for me is Rosemary Conley - that's because the classes are an exercise class and you go several times a week. Result, don't want to overeat as I am going to my class, afterwards don't want to snack as I don't want to undo all my hard work! Also find that the regular exercise helps control my appetite. If I don't go to class, snack, snack, snack!

So today decided to start the 'fast diet' 5:2 (eat normal for 5 days and eat 500 cals a day for 2) to kick start the weight loss and then eat 1200-1500 calories a day which I know I can do as last year I ate 1200 a day for 3/4 months !

But I've already given up:( as I hadn't planned it until I was in work..
for breakfast i had one slice of brown bread with one grilled tomato ( instead of a buttery croissant with bacon and tomato and tea with two sugars and milk)
and for lunch a bowl of lentil soup ( didn't eat the roll with it or the crisps I bought just incase lol!) and still only have 185 cals left for dinner Nd a tin of healthy soup is 190!!! And I've come home to my mum making homemade steak pie :(! There goes that idea haha !!xx
I tried that, stuck to it too and put on 1/2 a stone in a week which took ages to shift

Latest posts

Back