Feel really let down n hurt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retribution is sooooooooo divine!!!!!!!!!!!
CreativeMad said:
How awful are people??

Poor you Jackie, as the rest say keep your chin up. As you are CND would it be any use letting your nearest academy know that you are looking? When i attended, they gave us a list of local places (to where we lived that would possibly be interested in taking on "trainee" techs)

On the stock taking note, this happened to a friend of mine, she got her revenge though by emptying the branded powder out and putting something cheap and nasty in and included glow in the dark powder. Needless to say a few weeks later clients started coming back to her complaing that their nails were "glowing" and when asked who did them she found her "thief"! - As they say revenge is sweet!!

All the best for the future

Taz
x

Quote "I am so glad that I started mine on acontract as I have just been able to claim back traing costs from a tech that left my emplyment within 12 months, I can also restrict where she works as in not within a 20 mile radius of the salon either mobile, from home or at another salon. If you would likea copy of my contract then I can send you one."

I think this may have been touched on before, but I just wondered if your contract had been drawn up by a lawyer? The reason I ask is that I believe if a contract is too restrictive it is not actually enforcable i.e. it may actually be preventing a person from gaining employment elsewhere and therefore would not be held up in court if as an employer you did try to sue them.

Is the restrictive clause for a specific amount of time? For example cannot work within twenty miles for a period of six months after leaving employment? Would love anyone with a legal understanding to give more info on this.

you know i would give anything to get a career in a salon, unfortuntly there never seem to be any opportunities where i live. I feel so sorry for you having being treated like that, its just a shame that there are people that would do things like that as i said its a great oppotunity as she is throwing it in you face. frog march her straight to the door and find somebody who is appricative of you.

As long as the clause is time and distance restricted and not complety unresonable then you can have such a clause. My contract was done by a consultant and I am very pleased with it, it covers everything and therfore provides protection for the salon and the employee.

I agree with Ruth.... Wow what wise words... wish I'd worked by these before!
I've had this happen to me a couple of times already, its rife in my area, It is hard not to show your clients your personal feelings when you feel so let down... I am looking for new staff yet again, but it makes it very difficult when you feel you cant trust anyone!!
With my latest staff disaster, she did bad treatments (tans) on a bride and her bridesmaids, which cost me dearly with compensatory treatments. and she even contacted one of my suppliers to get copies of a certificate that I had only recently paid for,without asking me. Then she booked herself onto the same nail course as my daughter, when she was due to work, without telling me, knowing she would be leaving me short staffed.. Obviously I couldnt trust her, and she left!
It would be nice to find a genuine person who really wants to do an honest days work, and who can be trusted with the business that you have worked hard to build!

I will try to think about what Ruth has said though in future.... We must not be drawn into arguments about right and wrong.. It is important to be professional!

do as the others say and keep your head held high - you are the better person[/QUOTE]

Yes... I looked into this kind of contract, and found that when I checked with a solicitor. It would probably be thrown out of court due to its being to restrictive.... eg; how can you say a person cant go to work for someone else locally??? why should they do their chosen trade twenty miles away??

With my own contract we looked into what could be resonable and therfore enforceable!! we found that we could onlt be reasonable by allowing a three month reprieve for our business. eg; we have written in that a member of staff cannot 'seek to actively canvas customers of the salon, either for theie own benefit or for the benefit of a third party within three months of leaving their employment. they also have to pay for any training expenses they have been allowed if they leave within one year of receiving training!
I knew I had a bad employee recently, when she refused to sign such a lenient contract..... she had it checked by someone and refused to sign it because it was 'legally binding'..... well of course it was, it is a contract after all!!!!
Do-it-all Deb said:
Quote "I am so glad that I started mine on acontract as I have just been able to claim back traing costs from a tech that left my emplyment within 12 months, I can also restrict where she works as in not within a 20 mile radius of the salon either mobile, from home or at another salon. If you would likea copy of my contract then I can send you one."

I think this may have been touched on before, but I just wondered if your contract had been drawn up by a lawyer? The reason I ask is that I believe if a contract is too restrictive it is not actually enforcable i.e. it may actually be preventing a person from gaining employment elsewhere and therefore would not be held up in court if as an employer you did try to sue them.

Is the restrictive clause for a specific amount of time? For example cannot work within twenty miles for a period of six months after leaving employment? Would love anyone with a legal understanding to give more info on this.

I agree you need a contract when employing anyone as unfortunately some will take you for a ride. I think its awful that some people are just out for what they can get. Its a shame because it means you get looked at in the same way when you are looking to start out. Good luck in finding new Techs both of you, it must be awful to keep going through it.

In the clause it states that if we have paid for their training in certain systems then they cannot go work for the cometiton or set up in competiton within a set time or radius, it's part of the competition clause.

Welsh Geek said:
I knew I had a bad employee recently, when she refused to sign such a lenient contract..... she had it checked by someone and refused to sign it because it was 'legally binding'..... well of course it was, it is a contract after all!!!!
Well what does that tell you about them! LOL!

Welsh Geek said:
I agree with Ruth.... Wow what wise words... wish I'd worked by these before!
I've had this happen to me a couple of times already, its rife in my area, It is hard not to show your clients your personal feelings when you feel so let down... I am looking for new staff yet again, but it makes it very difficult when you feel you cant trust anyone!!
With my latest staff disaster, she did bad treatments (tans) on a bride and her bridesmaids, which cost me dearly with compensatory treatments. and she even contacted one of my suppliers to get copies of a certificate that I had only recently paid for,without asking me. Then she booked herself onto the same nail course as my daughter, when she was due to work, without telling me, knowing she would be leaving me short staffed.. Obviously I couldnt trust her, and she left!
It would be nice to find a genuine person who really wants to do an honest days work, and who can be trusted with the business that you have worked hard to build!

I will try to think about what Ruth has said though in future.... We must not be drawn into arguments about right and wrong.. It is important to be professional!

do as the others say and keep your head held high - you are the better person
[/QUOTE]

It really is so upsetting when the staff you have bring your name and service down. They can do more damge thatn good and you jsut feel like crying, but it isnt just restricted to the nail business it is like it in all sectors. People want jobs, not work though just a paycheck at the end. Us hard workers are a rare breed you know !

sequinto said:
Took on a therapist in January as she said she needed to be in a salon to finish her level 3 so took her on part time so she could still do collage, she also had a p/t office job. Anyway i have really done a lot for her since being with me took her up to p/b show paid for all her lunch buy her lunch evry sat not that i mind cos i dont, anyway booked me holiday which is in august we arranged it so she s would cover me for the fortnight i'm away great i though dont have to worry about salon for 2 weeks. Well guess what her level 3 has finished she has told me that she is now going full time in the office that she works in and she wont b covering my hols. Great i thought but never mind i'll work round it somehow (am i going on a bit cos i'm quite upset) Over the past couple of weeks have been getting complaints from clients that treatmentrs r not upto scratch from her I have mentioned this to her on each occasion but she dont seem to be that bothered, then today client informs me this therapist has been coming to the salon out of hours with her friends to do treatments on them using my products
and has told some of the clients that she is going to start working privatly from home and has tried to nick me clients as well i cant believe someone could do this to u. How do u think i should deal with this ?
Well i'm not sure about the UK but it is against the law in Ireland to "steel" clients, and using your products in the eveing is also against the law.

You could su her, but in my opinion I would confrount her tell her you know that she is steeling clients and material from you, that you are not going to su her but you want her to leave and you are not paying for her last weeks/ two weeks wages to make up for the stolen stock.

Latest posts

Back