Feel really let down n hurt

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sequinto

Reaction score
Took on a therapist in January as she said she needed to be in a salon to finish her level 3 so took her on part time so she could still do collage, she also had a p/t office job. Anyway i have really done a lot for her since being with me took her up to p/b show paid for all her lunch buy her lunch evry sat not that i mind cos i dont, anyway booked me holiday which is in august we arranged it so she s would cover me for the fortnight i'm away great i though dont have to worry about salon for 2 weeks. Well guess what her level 3 has finished she has told me that she is now going full time in the office that she works in and she wont b covering my hols. Great i thought but never mind i'll work round it somehow (am i going on a bit cos i'm quite upset) Over the past couple of weeks have been getting complaints from clients that treatmentrs r not upto scratch from her I have mentioned this to her on each occasion but she dont seem to be that bothered, then today client informs me this therapist has been coming to the salon out of hours with her friends to do treatments on them using my products
and has told some of the clients that she is going to start working privatly from home and has tried to nick me clients as well i cant believe someone could do this to u. How do u think i should deal with this ?

how annoying.... i would give her her marching orders now, and express how you hope knowone would ever treats her the same....not !how dare she, i would be feeling exactly the same as you, i would have treated her the same as well, and it has happened to me, i passed on my pearls of wisdom and watched them use it against me.you were just too nice...hope you sort things out and have a lovely holiday.

snooks said:
how annoying.... i would give her her marching orders now, and express how you hope knowone would ever treats her the same....not !how dare she, i would be feeling exactly the same as you, i would have treated her the same as well, and it has happened to me, i passed on my pearls of wisdom and watched them use it against me.you were just too nice...hope you sort things out and have a lovely holiday.
Well it certailnly has opened my eyes to how staff can treat u

Judging by other threads in the past, you are by no means on your own here Jackie.......it just saddens me that people can abuse your generosity it such an appalling way........and have no guilty conscience!

Well just you remember not everyone is like her........a lot of us do have morals and wouldn't dream of abusing somebody in such a way. Pick yourself up sweetie and dust yourself down, your clients won't go with her and if her treatments are as bad as the complaints, you might end up with some of hers!!

All the best
Adele

I agree with Dellie here Jackie, it is appalling how you`ve been treated but they won`t all be like that. Learn from it and move on.
They won`t stay with her if she isn`t up to scratch anyway and those that she does get will work their way to you too.

the others are all so right jackie, if her treatments are no good she wont get any of your clients so be strong and let her go her way, who needs someone like that ! im sure you will find a lovely person to take her place, someone who wants to work for you and who will return the lunch generosity !

Thnx for the support was upset n angry and had to let off steam

Poor Jackie ...I am an old hand at this!!

The first time hurts the worst ... after that you never get close again (if you're smart).

Unfortunately, it seems that people these days believe that this is how one gets on in life/business. First climb on the back of someone elses success, then try to walk off with some of it!! What goes round comes round!!

A hard lesson learned.

geeg said:
What goes round comes round!

AND SMACKS THEM IN THE FACE!!

Bless ya. This wont be the first time but if your smart you'll take gigi's advice and be friendly but keep your distance. At this time of year there are loads of college leavers looking for jobs so advertise or put a poster in the window.
As for her entering the salon out of salon hours without your permission!! that is disgracefull and in my salon would be an immediate verbal warning (if i was mad enough a dismissal would sharply follow).

Little Angel said:
AND SMACKS THEM IN THE FACE!!

i love it thats what i feel like doing but once bitten twice shy have learned my lessen like geeg said the hard way

geeg said:
Poor Jackie ...I am an old hand at this!!

The first time hurts the worst ... after that you never get close again (if you're smart).

Unfortunately, it seems that people these days believe that this is how one gets on in life/business. First climb on the back of someone elses success, then try to walk off with some of it!! What goes round comes round!!

A hard lesson learned.
Oh Gigi how true..................... and so often seen in our world...........
It happend to me years ago and no matter what I said to this girl , it went in one ear and out the other,so many client compaints and on top of that I had to put them right as they didn't want her!!!! Then I found out she was taking my stock home to use on her privat clients................

Thats when I decided stock taking might be a thougt............ You might laugh and think stock taking for 2 Nail Technicians and in a Shop where we just rent a corner......................Well it stopped her taking my stock and if she did, she would have to replace it with the same or else I would find out at the next motnhly stock check lol...........
Then one of my regular clients told me, that she intended to leave anyway and would take all her clients with her.............I thought go for it girl, more room for new ones lol!!!!!!!
Shortlyu after that she left saying she hated the traveling to and from the city and I agreed and said, yes it is a it much for you isn't it, good luck and good bye!!!!
But joking appart, the clients that did go with her came back after a month and had nothing good to say about her..............I just kept quiet and just replied......Oh dear now thats a shame and got on with my work............

With something like this, you have learned so much............
First of all the importance of a contractual agreement, stating your terms and conditions and that includes after hours privat work............. Yes they can but hey it must be paid for and you must be informed. You know when Faye worked for me and she is my daughter, we had agreements on what, why who and when..............
So next time it will be so different as you have learned so much..............and that aint a bad thing is it !!!!!! So thank her for her work, wish her well and close the door behind her !!!!!

It's been mention before, but why not let your local college know that you are looking to take on extra staff. Have them come for an interview when she's in the salon & make her well aware that her days, all be it part time, are well & truly numbered. Let your clients know that you are aware of her antics & that you are taking control of the situation.

With a bit of luck she might not think of you as such a soft touch & your clients will respect your working ethos more than hers.
Good luck.

princessmowgli said:
It's been mention before, but why not let your local college know that you are looking to take on extra staff. Have them come for an interview when she's in the salon & make her well aware that her days, all be it part time, are well & truly numbered. Let your clients know that you are aware of her antics & that you are taking control of the situation.

With a bit of luck she might not think of you as such a soft touch & your clients will respect your working ethos more than hers.
Good luck.
Good idea about local colleges and beauty schools...........
Telling clients hmmmmmmmmmmm...
Well in theory this might work, but on the other hand it will make 2 wrongs and not a right..............because then you would have to tell all of them the whole sorry saga...............
Never involve the salon in any dispute like this, this is betweeen staff no one else..................
All you need to tell your clients and that is if they ask is.....Oh it's being dealt with and just get on with a happy salon life...........

Interview yes but I wouldn't make it so obvious as to why and how it got to this, our world is a small one and before you know it word gets round and it leaves the door wide open to her oppinion and her side of things and then before you know it verbals at dawn lol............
She is going anyway so you have the right to inteview but be nice..........Being nice is being smart..........Being aware is being smart.........Being professional is being smart............ having a contractual argeement and terms of employment is being smart..

think of it as a sore .........it will go away if you dont poke it and show all and sundries.......... keep it covered, keep it clean and it will heal and before you know it nice new skin !!!!!!!

I think my post sounded more bitter than it was supposed to.

Telling the clients
I agree that you don't need to tell all & sundry what is going on behind the scenes but to those that have felt the need to inform you of poor service & freebie sessions then no harm can from their honesty to you for you in turn to discretely let them know the situation is in hand & that you appreciate their support.

Interviews
No one is indispensible. She has informed you that she is leaving so it is only what can be expected from you as an employee to need to replace her. You're a business woman & staff old & new need to know that you are the boss & you call the shots.

Does this sound more gentile????? I hope so....

hiya jackie
thats an awful thing to happen - im sure she will get her comupence (think i spelt it right) one day. it really is maddening isnt when you put your trust in someone and you end up being betrayed in this way.

if i lived in essex - i would cover your hols for ya pet

do as the others say and keep your head held high - you are the better person

if i lived in essex - i would cover your hols for ya pet
aaahhh thnx peter pan how sweet of u its nice to no that so many fellow geeks r all offering there support and put me in the direction that i should be going

How awful are people??

Poor you Jackie, as the rest say keep your chin up. As you are CND would it be any use letting your nearest academy know that you are looking? When i attended, they gave us a list of local places (to where we lived that would possibly be interested in taking on "trainee" techs)

On the stock taking note, this happened to a friend of mine, she got her revenge though by emptying the branded powder out and putting something cheap and nasty in and included glow in the dark powder. Needless to say a few weeks later clients started coming back to her complaing that their nails were "glowing" and when asked who did them she found her "thief"! - As they say revenge is sweet!!

All the best for the future

Taz
x

wHEN READING THAT POST i THOUGHT THAT IT COULD HAVEBEEN WRITTEN BY MYSLEF.

dID YOU HAVE HER ONA CONTRACT?

I am so glad that I started mine on acontract as I have just been able to claim back traing costs from a tech that left my emplyment within 12 months, I can also restrict where she works as in not within a 20 mile radius of the salon either mobile, from home or at another salon. If you would likea copy of my contract then I can send you one.

My partner has now given me some valuble business advice and that is never ever be friends with your staff, and never expect them to be loyal to you. It sounds harsh but at the end of the day it is your business adn any faults and problems land at your door. If they arnt making you money then sort it and sort it quick.

I do agree though that it isnt good practive to run her down, all Isay baout what happeened here is that it was down to quality control, end of story they can then form their own opnion as to the full sotry, and often they then tell you how they were not 100% happy with stuff but felt that it was the norm.

good luck hun and remember you are the boss and they work for you xxxx

feel free to pm if if you want a private chat or even give me call.

I really feel for you as I know I would feel the same if it happened to me. I have learnt over the years that people have a habit of letting you down, so try and maintain a professional relationship, rather than being friends. Make sure you have a proper contract in place to allow for such eventualities. It's really sad that she has behaved like this when you have been so good to her. However, she will soon learn that working for yourself is not as profitable as you think in the early years as you have to shell out for all the equipment, advertising etc. If her work is so poor then she won't get the "word of mouth" clients that is the backbone to a business. So if she fails you get the last laugh, and if she succeeds than you can take some private satisfaction that is was down to the good start you gave her.

Hope you're feeling better after all the posts youve had.

Take good care of yourself!

I have just taken on 2 part time staff who are on a three month trial before being offered contracts, bit cheeky, but could you forward me a copy of you one as well. Really, really grateful
Bodacious said:
wHEN READING THAT POST i THOUGHT THAT IT COULD HAVEBEEN WRITTEN BY MYSLEF.

dID YOU HAVE HER ONA CONTRACT?

I am so glad that I started mine on acontract as I have just been able to claim back traing costs from a tech that left my emplyment within 12 months, I can also restrict where she works as in not within a 20 mile radius of the salon either mobile, from home or at another salon. If you would likea copy of my contract then I can send you one.

My partner has now given me some valuble business advice and that is never ever be friends with your staff, and never expect them to be loyal to you. It sounds harsh but at the end of the day it is your business adn any faults and problems land at your door. If they arnt making you money then sort it and sort it quick.

I do agree though that it isnt good practive to run her down, all Isay baout what happeened here is that it was down to quality control, end of story they can then form their own opnion as to the full sotry, and often they then tell you how they were not 100% happy with stuff but felt that it was the norm.

good luck hun and remember you are the boss and they work for you xxxx

feel free to pm if if you want a private chat or even give me call.

Latest posts

Back