Feeling a bit deflated - made a big decision

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
Hey all,

I havent been around a lot recently, have had lots going on.

I had to make a big decision yesterday, and I'm happy with the decision but also feeling a bit disappointed with it at the same time.

I'm in the second year of my linguistics degree at the moment, however since term started in September I've had a lot of time off sick due to a lifelong condition I have. University have suggested I suspend my studies and come back in September next year. I've given it a lot of thought and decided its the best thing to do, not only because it would be better for my studies, but also because it will be better for my business. Whilst I've been doing my degree I havent put 100% into developing my business, and thats the one thing I want to do more than anything. Now that I've decided to suspend my studies I'm going to put all my energies into making my business grow, and if my plan works I should be in a position to take someone on part time next September so that I can go back to university without it affecting my business.

So, I'm glad about my business decision, but feeling a bit disappointed that I'm not carrying on with my degree for now. I dont like giving up on things, and I know I'm going back to it, but all my family are really disappointed that I've decided to suspend it, and I dont like that.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share. I hope you are all having a great day :green:

Bless you. Look, it should never be about how others are feeling, what others expect of you or their disappointment. It should be about you and what the right decision is for you at this moment in time. You feel you've made the right decision so stick by it love. Everyone else will simply have to mind their own beeswax.

Hugs to you. I hope you start to feel better and brighter very soon xx

Just wanted to send hugs to you. Some decisions can be so difficult especially when you've a million other things going on. We never 100% think we've made the right decision but once it's made then it is right. Look after yourself as you're the most important factor in all of this. Hugs xx

Families always mean well but they don't live your life, you do. You know what you can cope with and you know you've made the right choice for you at this moment in time.

As you said, you're not giving up, you're postponing. Rather that than becoming completely overwhelmed, feeling unable to cope, making yourself ill and then giving up on everything.

Life is hard, don't make it harder if you don't have to. Sending you hugs :hug: xx

Families always mean well but they don't live your life, you do. You know what you can cope with and you know you've made the right choice for you at this moment in time.

As you said, you're not giving up, you're postponing. Rather that than becoming completely overwhelmed, feeling unable to cope, making yourself ill and then giving up on everything.

Life is hard, don't make it harder if you don't have to. Sending you hugs :hug: xx

Totally agree with Beccy. You have to do what's best for you and if postponing your studies for now is the best thing then so be it. You shouldn't feel bad, you've not given up, you're just taking a break to get both your health and business up and running. Xx

Oh hunni you're not giving up you are just taking a break. As some have said families don't always understand the long term plan and how much thinking you have done to make your choice and that choice is best for you. It will be no good you carrying on and failing because you are unwell or having too much Time off.

Go with your gut and what's best for you! Good luck with making your business grow xxx

Just wanted to add - good for you on making a tough decision.

Not everyone can do that, even if it's for their own good xxx

Wow 'chelle linguistics! It must be hard to take a step back from something you are enjoying. Hopefully having the energy to focus on the business and see that flourish to the point where you can step back from THAT will help.

Out of interest, what are you planning to do with the linguistics - sounds very brainy to me! (maybe the other family members are just jealous that they are not budding boffin business brains like you!)

x Chin up and hugs

Thanks everyone I appreciate your support. I had my mum on the phone earlier telling me I'm making a big mistake. I just said "yes dear" at frequent intervals and after she hung up I had a big cup of tea :lol:

I'm feeling much better about things now. I can focus my energies on my business now, and I have various things I'm planning to do to get the ball rolling so I'm looking forward to that.

Umvemve, I'm not planning to do anything in particular with my degree, it's out of personal interest that I'm doing it. There's various avenues you can go down with a degree in linguistics, eg speech therapy, working with children who've been raised bi lingual or whose first language isnt english, teaching, allsorts really! I have no desire to follow any of these routes though, my passion is my salon, I really want to make it a successful business.

If your passion is your salon and you've just made a decision that allows you to dedicate more time to it how could it be the wrong one?
When you're thriving and opening up a second/third/fourth shop then you'll look back and know it was the right decision. So many people go down routes that they don't enjoy but feel its the 'right' thing to do. Maybe the safer option, the better paid/more sensible option but regret it later on.
If you love your job you'll never work a day in your life!

Good luck.

After one year at Uni, my daughter decided she didn't like her course! I was very worried, but she changed courses and was graduated this year (over-proud mummy lol). I had to let her make that decision, regardless of my worries - and your family need to step back and let you make the decisions that are right for you. They are probably just as worried as I was, but, ultimately, only you know what is right for you. Particularly as your health is involved, only you can know what to do, and I have great respect for your Uni in their understanding and support of your situation.

Good luck for the future, and stay healthy xxxxxxxx

If your not passionate about something it makes it very difficult to succeed. Uni isn't for everyone a lot of people feel pressurised to go due to family expectations. I studied theology at uni for 2 years and then realised that it wasn't for me. It was a difficult but one of the best decisions I have made. I love working for myself in an industry that I am passionate about.

Latest posts

Back