Feeling a little disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara-Jane

Reaction score
Hi, yesterday I done two sets of nails

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456039739.874515.jpg

This was the first, the girl liked my nails and wanted similar - just a bit about these, it's all acrylic, apart from the stamping and sculpted and took me 3 and half hours, she needed major cuticle work before hand too, and her fingers are really sore round the edges from general housework so I was taking my time to be really careful, she had some really bad splits

And the second

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456039956.232860.jpg

I had to soak off a set she had done in a NSS and these have tips but she wanted a really natural look so I started with a natural white acrylic, blended down to a cover peach acrylic and finally then a clear acrylic, then the stamping, this probably took me 2 and a half hours, maybe even 3 (this one was my friend and she came 2 mine with my 2 children here 2years 4 months and my 7 month old, so kept stopping)

Both were really happy with their nails, and said they can't wait to come back and have more done, and to see what I can do as I get better with more experience, and neither mined about time, but my boyfriend put a big downer on it saying he doesn't see how I will ever make money from just doing nails, I really want this to work, and he's just making me feel as if all my training and all the money I've spent is for nothing! I don't want to make millions, I just wanted something where I could have a income but also work around my children until they are a bit older or go to school, eventually i would love to work from a shop or have my own nail bar (a long time off) but this is what I want to aim for - and I just feel crappy about it now

I did try to explain to him that i charge for my time then product cost on top but I need to give a little at the moment as I'm still inexperienced and I will get faster with time and arghhh

If your clients are happy they will spread the word and you'll get more. I'm just starting and the training and product costs are expensive. I think it's a numbers game. Once you have a few you can make a profit. My husband doesn't believe I make anything but that's because we are saturated with cheap salons. My approach is to try and do good quality. You did that by doing cuticle work. Keep records of your costs etc to show yourself it's profitable. I'm impressed with your work. They say practice makes perfect and it's your clients' view that counts. Don't justify yourself it's exhausting it's not fair for me to comment on your boyfriend but if you know more is coming in than going out and your clients are happy you can be confident in yourself and that's what counts. Be encouraged by your clients' feedback and keep costs down. I think you've got what it takes good luck. Ps can you tell me what make stamping plate and paint is? I've been unable to get it to work. Yours is beautiful.

If your clients are happy they will spread the word and you'll get more. I'm just starting and the training and product costs are expensive. I think it's a numbers game. Once you have a few you can make a profit. My husband doesn't believe I make anything but that's because we are saturated with cheap salons. My approach is to try and do good quality. You did that by doing cuticle work. Keep records of your costs etc to show yourself it's profitable. I'm impressed with your work. They say practice makes perfect and it's your clients' view that counts. Don't justify yourself it's exhausting it's not fair for me to comment on your boyfriend but if you know more is coming in than going out and your clients are happy you can be confident in yourself and that's what counts. Be encouraged by your clients' feedback and keep costs down. I think you've got what it takes good luck. Ps can you tell me what make stamping plate and paint is? I've been unable to get it to work. Yours is beautiful.

Thankyou very much [emoji4]

The plate, stamper and polish is all from Moyou, but I've found with the stamper (it's a sticky stamper) I have to buff it first with a buffing block to take away the stickiness otherwise it won't pick up the pattern, and I just have to be quick as the polish dries quite fast, but I'be just ordered a stamper recommended by Sarah R on her YouTube channel

http://rainbow-connection.co.uk/collections/fab-ur-nails/products/jumbo-stamper

And as for my boyfriend I think he's expecting to see £££ piling up straight away, forgetting my outlay for all equipment

Hi
Who did u train with Hun x

In my view 3 and half hours on a set is too long. Not only for your client but for you too! It's solid work for nearly 4 hours. Do you talk a lot when doing them? Some people talk as they're nervous. It's ok to just have moments of pure concentration and silence, put your head down and speed up.
I'm going to be honest. The top picture looks like the filing needs improving. I ask who you trained with as most training should provide a basic hand trainer. These are fantastic to practice on. You should be doing 5 sets a day and timing each set. If your a beginner this is the only way you can improve without the need of hand models. You can do it at anytime even just to practice nail art and stamping. I would perfect the acrylic first then the art x

On your next couple of sets time yourself for each step (cuticle work & prep, applying tips/forms, application, filing) to find out what is taking the most time.

Then try to cut the time down on each set you do little by little.

The more sets you do you'll speed up. But At the moment concentrate on perfecting your technique is the most important.

But chatting can be a factor that can really slow you down. I got past this by advertising for models that I didn't know. Just a thought.
x

In my view 3 and half hours on a set is too long. Not only for your client but for you too! It's solid work for nearly 4 hours. Do you talk a lot when doing them? Some people talk as they're nervous. It's ok to just have moments of pure concentration and silence, put your head down and speed up.
I'm going to be honest. The top picture looks like the filing needs improving. I ask who you trained with as most training should provide a basic hand trainer. These are fantastic to practice on. You should be doing 5 sets a day and timing each set. If your a beginner this is the only way you can improve without the need of hand models. You can do it at anytime even just to practice nail art and stamping. I would perfect the acrylic first then the art x

That picture didn't do them justice of I'm honest lol

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456054920.458542.jpg

Think this one is a bit better?

Yeah she didn't stop talking and then getting up to do stuff then wanted to stop for a cigarette and when I got there had to just finish her mascara, guess because she knows me she thinks ok to just be "herself" rather than thinking of me working lol I do have a hand trainer that I've been practicing on lots, I guess practice makes perfect - thanks for giving your advice and input xx

On your next couple of sets time yourself for each step (cuticle work & prep, applying tips/forms, application, filing) to find out what is taking the most time.

Then try to cut the time down on each set you do little by little.

The more sets you do you'll speed up. But At the moment concentrate on perfecting your technique is the most important.

But chatting can be a factor that can really slow you down. I got past this by advertising for models that I didn't know. Just a thought.
x

When practicing it doesn't take me near as long, I think it was just many factors and circumstances, but I will check to see where I'm taking my longest and perfecting my application - thanks [emoji4]

Yea this picture is better.
Have u cut the acrylic in? The black glitter and the lilac? Or did u use gel polish? This picture is much better!

No polish apart from stamping and a gel top coat, it's all done using a black glitter acrylic, lilac acrylic, and a peach shimmer acrylic, and just shaping and moulding it to how she wanted it x

That's really hard to do.

Yeah it was hence it took me a long time lol plus I needed to put a thin base layer of acrylic to stop any black or lilac staining the natural nails then encapsulate the whole lot with clear after for strength and filing [emoji30] plus then the consistency of the coloured acrylic is different because of all the added pigment and glitter

Well yea that's not until you've mastered your whole techniques. I personally wouldn't colour block with acrylic until I was super confident with it.

I would use a gel polish for the colouring, much easier to change at their next apt.
Don't let your hubby get you down! Prove him wrong xx

Ah well thanks ladies for all your input and advice - I will keep practicing and working on my timing, I'll get there in the end, I've already come along way since I first picked up that acrylic brush or even tried to blend a tip lol the only way is up and forward xx

It is your doing really good.
Do u have continuous support from your trainer? I found this so helpful

I'm always saying this on here, try and master the basic techniques you've been taught and perfect the nail extensions before attempting fancy designs as well.

It's difficult when you've got friends badgering for pretty designs but you're not going to progress very quickly like that.

I would offer basic nail extensions only and let them paint their own in their own time. And colour blocking with acrylic is quite an advanced technique which can wait. No doubt your friend was pleased but at what cost to you and your time?

Another point to touch on: I hope she's not smoking anywhere near your products, not even in the same room as they are incredibly flammable and there are vapours which could ignite which you cannot even see.

Also with kiddies/babies and keep stopping, I'm sure you are aware but acrylic liquid is totally toxic as is primer, little finger/tongues must not be allowed to ingest these products, just my thoughts and I'm sure you're fully aware x

I'm glad you touched base on the colour blocking as when the client returns for an infill your not going to be able to do much with that acrylic and would have to remove and do another set. It's costly and profit side of things just not worth it. And having the nails go through removal and a new set each time till affect the nail as a whole. Start small work towards big.

I'm always saying this on here, try and master the basic techniques you've been taught and perfect the nail extensions before attempting fancy designs as well.

It's difficult when you've got friends badgering for pretty designs but you're not going to progress very quickly like that.

I would offer basic nail extensions only and let them paint their own in their own time. And colour blocking with acrylic is quite an advanced technique which can wait. No doubt your friend was pleased but at what cost to you and your time?

Another point to touch on: I hope she's not smoking anywhere near your products, not even in the same room as they are incredibly flammable and there are vapours which could ignite which you cannot even see.

Also with kiddies/babies and keep stopping, I'm sure you are aware but acrylic liquid is totally toxic as is primer, little finger/tongues must not be allowed to ingest these products, just my thoughts and I'm sure you're fully aware x

Thanks for your input and concerns << I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic and no I told her I'm not burning down her house today so outside if she must!

And in separate room from my children, my OH was here, but both are a little poorly at the moment so only mummy cuddles work sometimes [emoji4]

But I think your totally right, just basic and what I've been taught so far, and maybe a simple stamping or basic colour

I think your nails are very good for a beginner.
And even now after 10 years I can easily take 3 hours while chatting to a friend while doing nails, especially with kids interrupting all the time.

This is why I do not do house calls bcoz it literally adds another half hour or more to your appointments!

And no doing nails won't make you a millionaire BUT it is a very rewarding job to have and I think happiness at work is more valuable then sitting behind a laptop for 8 hours hating your boss and your job!
Don't let your boyfriend fill you with negativity, be positive

Latest posts

Back