Feeling a little disheartened

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I hope so [emoji57][emoji57]

Its difficult when your other half sees you spending money, he can't see the profit. You have to think that to get good and imorove your speed takes time, if you really want it you will get there in the end. My hubby has the same attitude and it can be a downer. I am coming back after looking after my grandson for 13 years and I havn' dared to mention re-training costs yet, but its what I want to do so its tough!

Thanks Sara Jane for stamping info

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1457205059.238256.jpg

Well this was my latest set - I concentrated on my application - just clear acrylic with some gel polish on top with a bit of fancyness

It still took me 1hr 45 mins though, but I guess that's much better so my practice practice practice is paying off

Thanks again for all your advice so far, it is really helping, as always your opinions please [emoji4] xx

They look good are u changing your nails all the time?

No I'm not, every 2 weeks, just not uploading straight away for opinions, take me a day or 2 to get the courage to upload, although I'm getting more confident now! I think I've posted 2 sets of my own on here, the others were my first "clients" I've worked on x

No I'm not, every 2 weeks, just not uploading straight away for opinions, take me a day or 2 to get the courage to upload, although I'm getting more confident now! I think I've posted 2 sets of my own on here, the others were my first "clients" I've worked on x

They look good, u should feel proud. I was going to say I'm still dreading doing mine I've had the same set for 3 weeks now and they need doing

Ah thanks [emoji5]️

I can see a real difference now from my training and practising to practicing more and then getting pointers and advice on my first sets to what I can do now and do feel a lot more confident in my work x

I am working in a salon right now, but working on opening my own mobile business... Possibly based out of my home (we are in the process of selling our house so it depends where we move to) otherwise I would be travelling to clients houses or pre set up locations. I have been working on business plan, and in my business plan I have created a spreadsheet of cost of service breakdown. To ensure I am getting paid, included in each price of service my hourly wage of 20$ is included (based on time of service it varies).
This helps me show my boyfriend what it's costing and what I'm getting paid an hour and what i am making ad a profit margin. It is true though that they have a hard time seeing the profit side of things as we are just starting up

View attachment 194831

Well this was my latest set - I concentrated on my application - just clear acrylic with some gel polish on top with a bit of fancyness

It still took me 1hr 45 mins though, but I guess that's much better so my practice practice practice is paying off

Thanks again for all your advice so far, it is really helping, as always your opinions please [emoji4] xx

Hi Sara,

Sorry for intruding on your post , I am training at the moment & would love to pick your brains. I am on weeks 6 of a 25 week course at the moment. I am really struggling & pretty sure I'm getting worse. Could you please tell me what trading you did & how long it took you to get to a stage where you were happy with your nails?

The sets you have uploaded are really really impressive & I hope one day I will be that good.Did you feel like giving up? Every time I do a new set I feel really disheartened.

Zx

Heya, I only done a at home course with essential nails, I started the end of January and then finally
Submitted my work end of March, and tbh I absolutely love nails, I love doing my own and I love doing research and more research and watching videos, I also kept submitting work here for feedback and then working on that too, and each set I do I can tell I'm getting much better, just practice, practice and more practice, learn them initial skills your taught and don't divert from them, work on them

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463771638.796976.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463771664.910839.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463771689.877142.jpg

These are my most recent, but I can still pick
Holes in them! And things I think could be much better, but again I just need to keep practicing too x

Heya, I only done a at home course with essential nails, I started the end of January and then finally
Submitted my work end of March, and tbh I absolutely love nails, I love doing my own and I love doing research and more research and watching videos, I also kept submitting work here for feedback and then working on that too, and each set I do I can tell I'm getting much better, just practice, practice and more practice, learn them initial skills your taught and don't divert from them, work on them

View attachment 197410View attachment 197411View attachment 197412

These are my most recent, but I can still pick
Holes in them! And things I think could be much better, but again I just need to keep practicing too x
I think the day we stop picking holes in our work is the day we stop getting better! X there is always an improvement to be had xxx

I think the day we stop picking holes in our work is the day we stop getting better! X there is always an improvement to be had xxx

I totally agree! x

Hang on in there! Don't do what I did. I hated doing extensions and packed it all in. If I'd has a resource like Salon Geek back then and the peer support things may have been very different!

Now after taking a new career path, after being messed around by my employer I have decided the only way forward is to work for myself, but I am lucky I will still have this income while I build up my business and services, however i am starting from scratch all over again.

I don't know if it is an option for you. But I took a job in a salon and working alongside an experienced technician really helped.

Even if you did it part time while you build up your own business. It's doesn't pay well but at least it is some regular income.

Good luck and please don't give up.

Latest posts

Back