Feeling a little down!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheap as chips will never work. You'll work your arse off for very little money, and if you do base yourself on price the only way is down.

I found that doing school fetes and having a table to promote what u do helped me alot to get started and doing a really good offer on net mums for a set time got lots of clients in,once they can see what u can do they will want to stay x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Cheap as chips will never work. You'll work your arse off for very little money, and if you do base yourself on price the only way is down.
Thats edsactly what I mean, everyone in my area is so cheap, the cannot be making any money at all! They are working and cant even be covering cost per treatment very well!

I need something other than the cheap side! I need something else that makes clients pay that little extra!

I found that doing school fetes and having a table to promote what u do helped me alot to get started and doing a really good offer on net mums for a set time got lots of clients in,once they can see what u can do they will want to stay x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek
Thanx for that! I have a net mums set up, but dont have anything as of yet.. iv got a 20% discount on at the moment!

Geekling, im gona give you some tough love because i think you need it.

1st thing, when i opened my buisness in the recession, i knew i was naive but i also knew that a had a wealth of experience and had worked in salons + been brought up with the beauty industry around me.

However i didnt expect a rush at the door after a week or two months. it gradually builds up, in my head to my banking manager to set up my buinsness plan and setting out the forcast of what i would earn what not what i expected. My bf at the time was telling me so what it'll take three years for you really.....not that id like to admit it but he was right.

Im extermely lucky i have been brought up in a priviliedged background to have support, help and ideas.

Its not always about the competition or how you're cheap as chips, its mainly how you are in your skill, personality and ability to ,make a client at ease to entrust you with thier body, mind and secrets!! So reassess what your aiming to do by being mobile or opening a salon and have goals on how you wnat to achieve them. Dont be deflated by my word but do push yourself to act as a business mind on. hths xoxo

Hi, thanx for that!
And honestly, I really am not expecting clients, I know it takes a long time to build up a client base!
I think my biggest problem is that I 'need' that 1st client to come through the door, get a spray tan or what even and tell their friends! Its just trying to find that 1st client im having the problem with.

My prices aren't cheep, there is much cheaper around my area! Shellac £8 for example, mine is £20 - i don't want to be cheep and not in business long!

Thankyou again!

£20 for Shellac?
Really?!
I charge £30 and £12 for removal. I have no free slots until July...

Yeah, when i looked at my area, it was between £8-25 so I went with the middle!
I charge £10 for removal and £25 for removal and reapplication!
Do you think this is too cheap?

I disagree with this comment, it is far too general. I started making profit after 2 months whilst reinvesting in new services and products and have been busy from day dot. What is this based on?

To the OP it's a very competitive market, do your research, find niches and implement plans which will work for your area.

You must have timed it just right then as most people I speak to all struggle at first.

Yeah, when i looked at my area, it was between £8-25 so I went with the middle!
I charge £10 for removal and £25 for removal and reapplication!
Do you think this is too cheap?
Yes.
There is Lidl, and there is Waitrose, and then there is Fortnum and Mason.
Which one are you?
;)

hiya hun

don't lose faith. i started my mobile business and for a lont time i heard nothing like you friends and family wanted things for free and the only time i would offer it is if i wanted to to advertise if i knew they worked somewhere where their hands were always on show etc. it was on my terms. buteven then some of them (unless i got something in return) i charged materials cost.

try all the promotional offers every one has said but a good website (personally recommend salon alchemy Ruth is a ledgend!!) and a facebook page helped ( have a look at mine if it helps)

and if you need to bounce ideas or just feel like youre getting no where just pm me!

i know it brings you down when you dont get anything or even worse you get an enquiry and it gets your hopes up but then it doesnt become a job. just hang in there. i felt like giving up sometimes an sticking to my day job but ive got regulars now and new ones calling too.

it will happen i promise xxxx

Yes.
There is Lidl, and there is Waitrose, and then there is Fortnum and Mason.
Which one are you?
;)
Haha! I just didnt want to be too expensive with being mobile and people in my area being so cheap!

hiya hun

don't lose faith. i started my mobile business and for a lont time i heard nothing like you friends and family wanted things for free and the only time i would offer it is if i wanted to to advertise if i knew they worked somewhere where their hands were always on show etc. it was on my terms. buteven then some of them (unless i got something in return) i charged materials cost.

try all the promotional offers every one has said but a good website (personally recommend salon alchemy Ruth is a ledgend!!) and a facebook page helped ( have a look at mine if it helps)

and if you need to bounce ideas or just feel like youre getting no where just pm me!

i know it brings you down when you dont get anything or even worse you get an enquiry and it gets your hopes up but then it doesnt become a job. just hang in there. i felt like giving up sometimes an sticking to my day job but ive got regulars now and new ones calling too.

it will happen i promise xxxx
Thankyou lovely! :)
And I have a website set up, it was a free one but it doesnt look too bad!
And aww thankyou that's a lovely offer! :)

Ill stick at it, going to do my nails tomorrow, and hope someone notices them! Haha!
Iv got loads of offers on my website, loyalty cards, recommend a friend etc!

It drives me mad, family wanting things for free! I dont want a wage from them, but just enough to cover products! I dont think they understand how much things cost!!

Thankyou again!

Last week?!
It takes 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name. I'm afraid it won't happen overnight.
Join networking groups, do leaflet drops, join every free directory site on the net, and be prepared to be skint for a year!

I fully agree with Lynne- she's a great business woman, therapist and advisor.

Be focused and give yourself time x

Gosh, thank you!

Don't feel down, I started my own business 2years this November & I've bee through it all the slow times, not having any clients in some weeks and the weeks where I wanted to pack it all in :-(

But now?? I'm doing better than I have ever done getting ready to open my beauty room within a very successful tanning salon ;-)

My mum always tells me all good things come to those who wait ( & work hard)

Chin up you WILL get there if you try hard enough ;-)

Sorry I've really scanned through all the replies on here so I may be repeating....one thing that def catches people's eyes are photos. Before you get your name out there I know people need to see proof that you're good. So everytime you do you nails take a photo and upload to your Facebook page and Website, this is far more likely to catch people's attention than just written Facebook updates x

Wow! Well done! I think it has just been a confidence kick! :)

Thankyou! :)

Ahhh ill defiently try that!! :) I have a few pictures already! Ill pop them on! & from now on going to take pictures of every set i do! :) xx

Hi all,
I've just set up my own business and it's slowly beginning to pay off! Networking is a brilliant way to go, there are so many ladies & Gents who just don't have the time to go to a salon etc in a working hours, so I work out of normal hours which suits me fine, and I'm a mother too! So don't despair it can work.... :) x

Latest posts

Back