Feeling a little down!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hi all, feeling a little down about starting up my buisness! I started advertising my mobile beauty buisness last week and have heard nothing! Not a word! I have advertised on pretty much all the free sites, net mums, fridayad etc and added myself to google places, have a website set up, and buisness cards on the way!

I have tried to get family & friends involved but they don't seem interested! They just want things for free and if it's not then they don't want it! I was offering them my spray tans at £13.00 which I didn't think was too bad, but they just don't seem to understand the fact that my products cost alot of money! Especially my family! I have done 3 sets of shellac for them and 2 spray tans no cost and now they will not pay!

I have spent alot of money on my buisness and have honestly but my heard and sole into it! And really want to achieve in this!

Have any of you had the same kind of problems?

Is there anything else I could be doing?

Thankyou :)

I don't run my own business but hope to in the future.
But as I've discovered on here it Does take a while to get up and running (meaning client wise)
So try not to get disheartened.
Could you have a little pamper party? Like invite some friends over and tell them to bring a friend (preferably someone you dont know) and maybe offer discounted treatments?

Get out and network!

If you are out somewhere and you see somebody who seems to take a bit of pride in their appearance, complement them, mention that you work in the beauty industry, offer them a buiness card.

Do you have a daytime job? If so why not mention it to the people you work with, even the men as their wives, sisters etc may be interested.

It will take a bit of hard work, but you will get there in the end if its what you really want :)

I've got signage on the back of my car (ebay cost 13 quid) and I've had loads of business from that :) I've spent 200 odd quid on yellow pages and got bugger all from that :(
Have you tried FreeIndex - The FREE UK business directory ? It's quite a good site and FREE lol!

Regarding family not paying, just don't do it for them if they won't pay, at least you won't be wasting your products on them!! I do my familys hair for nothing but I'm well established so can afford to slip in the odd freebie but when you're starting off, you need all the cash you can get :)

Sorry sent before I'd finished lol.

Or maybe see if there are any local events such as charity nights etc. most of them the price of a table is your contribution to the charity. Near me they are roughly £5- £15. And do mini treatments.
Sorry if I've not helped much. But good luck, and hope things pick up. :) x
If you do a search on here there is a thread about advertising/ways to expand your business.

Last week?!
It takes 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name. I'm afraid it won't happen overnight.
Join networking groups, do leaflet drops, join every free directory site on the net, and be prepared to be skint for a year!

Last week?!
It takes 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name. I'm afraid it won't happen overnight.
Join networking groups, do leaflet drops, join every free directory site on the net, and be prepared to be skint for a year!

So true as always! I started my business last year offering tans and nail services. It's only now over the last say 3 months I have become busy and have regular clients. It's such hard work getting out there and building your reputation but once you have,you will never look back.

A week is not a long time at all. What type of advertising do you do? Do you have a fb page
, website etc. Facebook is great for showcasing your work etc.

Give it time. All good things come to those who wait and businesses don't just happen over night.

Thanx for your replies guys!
I'll defiently try the sign on the car! That's a great idea!!
And yeah, I have a day job, but without sounding rude the people in my office don't seem to be particually onto their aperancence! Worth a try though I suppose! :) and thankyou again! You have all made me feel a little better! :) just keep trying I suppose! X

No please don't think I expected to have customers!! I just mean, like 1 general inquiry etc! Even from friends and family! I don't in any way expect to have a 'buisness' straight away! I know it takes years and effort, i was just a little unheartend at the fact of no one even enquiring!

No please don't think I expected to have customers!! I just mean, like 1 general inquiry etc! Even from friends and family! I don't in any way expect to have a 'buisness' straight away! I know it takes years and effort, i was just a little unheartend at the fact of no one even enquiring!

Do you have a facebook page set up ? Ive found by posting pics on the buy & sell pages for my area on fb to to good for me for getting enquires/bookings . I am about to quit my mobile work though as Im moving into a rented room in a sunbed/tanning salon .
Im not saying fb will work for everyone , but it's helped me x

Do your own nails really well in an eye catching design or feature ring finger - I was moaning to my husband yesterday that it takes me twice as long to do anything these days because people want to chat about my nails and find out where I've had them done. Great for business, just have a chat, sell yourself and hand over a business card with your details offering a little bit of discount for first visit as well if you feel that way inclined.

Facebook has helped me so much!! I am now booked up nearly a month in advance. I do Lashes, Tanning, Nails etc.

I do Competition, prize being a spray tan etc. If they write a status recommending me and asking their friends to add me.

Works really well!!

Don't give up!!

X

Thankyou!! Some great ideas!! Will get onto facebook tonight!! Do you have friend profiles or buisness pages? Then going to do a search for more free ad sites!!
I wish I was a little better at selling my self, I seem to play things down alot if people ask because I don't want to come across as pushy with the buisness! Maybe I need to be!! Thankyou again! I love this site such an invaluable tool!! :)

Just be yourself!!! and sell sell sell!!!

I have a business page, always updating my status, sending inboxes and advertise on the for sale pages in your area.

Good Luck X

Last week?!

I disagree with this comment, it is far too general. I started making profit after 2 months whilst reinvesting in new services and products and have been busy from day dot. What is this based on?

To the OP it's a very competitive market, do your research, find niches and implement plans which will work for your area.

Thankyou!! Some great ideas!! Will get onto facebook tonight!! Do you have friend profiles or buisness pages? Then going to do a search for more free ad sites!!
I wish I was a little better at selling my self, I seem to play things down alot if people ask because I don't want to come across as pushy with the buisness! Maybe I need to be!! Thankyou again! I love this site such an invaluable tool!! :)

I have a business page kept completely separate to my personal profile page . Honestly a week is no time at all , it takes time to build something up x

In general friends and family are the worst ones, note I said in general. There are 15 girls in my class and 1 of them has a mum and a brother who pay her for facials, insist on paying the going rate and rave to everyone about how good she is. The other 14 have the friends and family who say, yes I want xxx what! I'm not paying you! Giving them your business card will just see it shoved to the back of a draw, they will knock your self confidence, belittle your achievements and will be hurt and shocked if you say that to them.
Lynn Barker has a great thread on here about marketing, so does sassy hassy. The information and the links are well worth the time it's going to take you to read through them.
Other places that you can drop your card of at are gyms, they always have notice boards where people advertise services, bridal gown shops. Prom dress shops. One I've found recently, local stables, the parents and horse owners have disposable cash and like their facials, Shellac nails etc. It's all about thinking where people go to spend and getting your card in there so they see it.
I always tell people, even the tax man doesn't expect you to make money in the first year, he expects you to make a loss, second year he expects you to break even and year three he expects you to make a small profit. So if you do better than that, good for you, if you don't, it doesn't make you a failure. Keep going and keep thinking:hug:

I disagree with this comment, it is far too general. I started making profit after 2 months whilst reinvesting in new services and products and have been busy from day dot. What is this based on?

To the OP it's a very competitive market, do your research, find niches and implement plans which will work for your area.

Me too!! After a few months I was getting really booked up and it hasn't slowed down. I get booked 2 to 3 weeks in advance and as I'm so busy, my regs book up in advance to make sure they get a slot. I have the odd quiet week but it's nice to have that bit of breathing space :D

Last week?!
so true. it does take time to build up a business. Start with friends take before and after pictures and put them on your facebook. ask friends to share your facebook page. The best form of advertisement is word of mouth. Get some special offers on and slowly build your business like this. Good luck

Thankyou for all your replies guys!
Buisness cards arrived today, so going to take some of the suggestions here and take them in! I think iv had a confidence knock with how my friends and families went on!

Stables are a great idea! I never would have thought of that!!

Iv read through the thread and there is also some great things on there!!

I think I need to find something that makes me stand out - there is so many salons/mobile/homebased near me! I need to find something that makes me different other than being cheep as chips!

Thankyou again! :)

Latest posts

Back