Critique Feeling deflated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
Hello so I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this but there seems to be active members on here!
I’m 19 and doing an apprenticeship in level 2 beauty. I have a passion for beauty and I honestly try my hardest with every treatment. My manager charges full price for my services and the clients are always happy with the results, even left lovely reviews. I mainly do gel nails, pedicures, manicures, spray tans and eyebrow waxing and tinting, lash extensions and LVL. I love it! I have only recently started out in LVL and lash extensions so I’m no where near perfect! I’ve also done an acrylic course but I am wayyyy from perfect at those as I hardly do them!! I need more models. I have recently been doing facials. I don’t feel 100% comfortable doing them as I find I can never do them in 45 mins, it’s always less. I’m just not confident in doing all the different kinds and not really gone through it properly with my manager, only briefly and at college (different method at college) I had a complaint about a bespoke facial today, feeling pretty rubbish about it, it’s basic. Apparently it was rushed and not relaxing (it’s more of a clinical environment) and she complained about the noise from outside and said I rushed it. I feel crap because I don’t want negative feedback. I’ve had one bad review about my acrylics once ages ago too. Just feel like I’m not good enough and feeling sorry for myself! How do you deal with negative feedback and anyone got any tips for these treatments? It annoys me as I love my job!

I just want to comment on your facial timings and other problems with them. If you have learned at college the usual French massage type facial and then you "convert" to a product brand of facial, it will be very different. A bespoke facial would be impossible to create without the set routine being demonstrated to you and practised.

Perhaps with some brand training you can slow the facial right down ! Ask your boss for the brand training.
Following a brand protocol will give you timings for your whole routine as well from how long the cleanse, exfoliation, massage, masque and application of products afterwards.

Noise? If she was relaxed quite often the other sounds around the treatment room are not heard. I am on busy B road and my windows are open slightly for ventilation. I play music, do you? I also create an air of relaxation with fragrance and candles to help with setting the ambiance for a relaxing treatment.

It's good that you do air your thoughts because it proves that you want to do your best. Being negative occasionally is normal if you are a caring therapist, I am sure we have all been there at one time or another.

I don’t usually reply to comments on here, but felt like I had to. As you remind me of what I was like! I started off like you, not very confident and feeling down a lot. My best advice would be to practice at home. When I did my first facial, I used products at home (not the correct ones but I pretended they were) just to practice techniques and timings, on my mum and sisters. Talk through each step inside your head until you get the hang of it. I’ve been a therapist for nearly 4 years now and I still get nervous but I’m a lot more confident as time has gone on. Give yourself a break, you’ve not long started and you’ve come so far already! It takes time to “master” things, even I screw things up occasionally and that’s okay! We’re only human! Please don’t feel defeated, try to look at the positives you’ve achieved and focus on the good things! If you do make a mistake try not to do it next time! Unfortunately you are always going to get difficult clients no matter how hard you try! I’ve had my fair share of them and over time you get thick skinned to it all. Hang on in there and keep going! Over time you will get better and your confidence will grow! It doesn’t happen overnight it will take time, but I’m sure you’re doing a great job! Xx

Latest posts

Back