Feeling disheartened about competitor's prices

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seraphine

Reaction score
I started in a salon yesterday - it's my first salon experience after 8 years of mobile/home salon work.

I had one client.... okay, it was the first day. I'll be doing a big marketing push in the next week so I'm hoping I can put some names in my book.

But last night I was updating my work facebook, and noticed someone in a local group looking for a nail tech. I put my details in, but also notice all the other posts of people suggesting their nail techs.

It appears that around here, a set of extensions runs about £15. My charge is £30.

How the heck can anyone afford to do them that cheaply? I'm so worried that this setup isn't going to work if this is what the local expectation is... no one will come to me because the next guy is half the price. I've seen it on Gumtree as well - prices from £8 to £15, with quotes like "why go to a salon and pay salon prices?"

I know that I do quality work with quality products. But I'm so worried that no one is going to care about that, that it's all about cheap and cheerful around here.

(feeling sick)

I started in a salon yesterday - it's my first salon experience after 8 years of mobile/home salon work.

I had one client.... okay, it was the first day. I'll be doing a big marketing push in the next week so I'm hoping I can put some names in my book.

But last night I was updating my work facebook, and noticed someone in a local group looking for a nail tech. I put my details in, but also notice all the other posts of people suggesting their nail techs.

It appears that around here, a set of extensions runs about £15. My charge is £30.

How the heck can anyone afford to do them that cheaply? I'm so worried that this setup isn't going to work if this is what the local expectation is... no one will come to me because the next guy is half the price. I've seen it on Gumtree as well - prices from £8 to £15, with quotes like "why go to a salon and pay salon prices?"

I know that I do quality work with quality products. But I'm so worried that no one is going to care about that, that it's all about cheap and cheerful around here.

(feeling sick)

Distinguish yourself

Ask yourself why your nails are worth twice the amount of local nails

Once you have that clear and confident in your head push the message out to customers

Cheap IS cheap. Your kind of customer is one who appreciates quality, qualifications, experience, attention to detail, luxury, professionalism... target the customer who will happily pay £30...

not everyone wants cheap... I like things well done and done with passion and flair and particularness... I'd rather pay more to get that than save a few pounds and compromise on quality

#distinguishyourself

There are lots of people who will choose quality over cheap and they're the type of clients you want. Whilst I'm not the most expensive I've certainly never been cheap and therefore I get clients who appreciate my work and my knowledge and I've also never, in 8 years, had a single client who tries it on trying to get freebies or causing trouble.

Did you do plenty of research of the local area before you started ? Will your existing clients be coming to you now you are salon based ? It will take a good few months even years to build a good clientele so try not to stress. Do not under value yourself by trying to compete on price, even though its hard. It frustrates me when you see techs doing fab work, using great products yet charging silly prices, do not be a busy fool. There are people out there who will value your work you just have to find them. x

People will care, for so cheap id expect they were still training or doing it as a side line without insurance & god knows what else.

Don't be put off, if we all looked we could find similar people in our own areas.

I personally wouldn't look on FB selling sites if I wanted to find a nail tech. I think people on those sites are looking for a bargain.

Yell.com / your website should come up when you google nails & your area. Yes it will take a while, but other than refer a friend its a great way to get people to notice you.

Don't put yourself down, offer a good service for a decent price. Offer a drink & a free hand massage at the end of the service for a lux experience.

You have rent, products, tax, insurance and your own wages to pay. I wouldn't give the cheap people another thought.

Good luck!
Xx

Definitely don't be put off. There are loads of businesses around me who are much, much cheaper but I stay really busy. Earn yourself the reputation of being brilliant at what you do - be the best possible.

Good luck 😀

Never look at other people's price list. Be brilliant at what you do and set your prices at what you're worth.

Not everyone can afford high end and that's fair enough but there are plenty of people out there looking for quality. x

Thank you everyone, for chiming in. I know I need to stay positive, but I'm second guessing myself a bit.

I arranged to rent a large room in a salon in January. The current location is a small hairdressers, and they didn't have a beautician/nail tech in house yet so I thought I might rent out their small room to feel out the area as I had a few days free per week that I didn't have commitments. It's not an area I know at all - I moved to this county a year ago - and it seems to be quite a depressed area. But as the rent was reasonable and the owner is fantastic, I was hoping I could make a good go of it, but after 2 days I'm having my doubts. Will people want to come and spend money if they have to be doubly-sure not to leave valuables in the car, and they have to watch out for dog mess on the street?

I had a home studio for years and did well, but then moved to this county and didn't have the space for one. I've been working mobile several days a week but wanted to stop travelling around so much - it's hard on my car, and my stress level as I feel like I'm constantly trying to be somewhere on time. Now that my youngest is in primary school full time, I wanted to find somewhere stationary to work.

Not sure what to do.

Is the hairdressers low end or middle? Are they busy? I'm assuming their clients have to do the same as your clients with regards to leaving their cars.

Two days isn't a lot. How have you promoted yourself? If the owner is fab, you're sort of half way there.

Have a chat with the owner and see if you can promote together. What can you do to encourage their clientele to use you etc.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Added to which we have a local girl offering gel fingers and toes for £10. I'm not really that interested. Don't be a busy fool. Offer the best in the business and don't enter into price wars. Some clients will want good products, good conversation and a bit of tlc, not just the cheapest there is.

Vic x

Is the hairdressers low end or middle? Are they busy? I'm assuming their clients have to do the same as your clients with regards to leaving their cars.

Two days isn't a lot. How have you promoted yourself? If the owner is fab, you're sort of half way there.

Have a chat with the owner and see if you can promote together. What can you do to encourage their clientele to use you etc.

Vic x

It's low end. Walk in's only. The two days I was there it wasn't busy at all, but I know the end of November can be pretty quiet because everyone waits til closer to Christmas.

The salon will go through a name change when it moves in January so I was waiting for that, but I know I'll have to promote before then. I saw the previous posts on here about successful leaflet campaigns, and I'm also on Facebook. I used to do fairly well with Yell.com - if I'm going to do this properly I'll take out another ad, but the owner isn't a fan of theirs so I'd be doing it on my own. She's happy to promote me with her own clients as well.

Good luck!

It's scary moving areas never mind a country!

I moved not too long ago and I have found that I am priced higher than other high street salons and I'm home based, part-time. But I still get the clients. I hope they come to me as I do good work and I have nice surroundings etc.

Where about are you in Scotland?

Good luck!

It's scary moving areas never mind a country!

I moved not too long ago and I have found that I am priced higher than other high street salons and I'm home based, part-time. But I still get the clients. I hope they come to me as I do good work and I have nice surroundings etc.

Where about are you in Scotland?

County... not country (although I came here from Canada 15 years ago, so my accent sets me apart anyway!)

I lived in Clackmannanshire, and now I'm in Fife. The salon is on the east coast, not far from Leven.

It's low end. Walk in's only. The two days I was there it wasn't busy at all, but I know the end of November can be pretty quiet because everyone waits til closer to Christmas.

The salon will go through a name change when it moves in January so I was waiting for that, but I know I'll have to promote before then. I saw the previous posts on here about successful leaflet campaigns, and I'm also on Facebook. I used to do fairly well with Yell.com - if I'm going to do this properly I'll take out another ad, but the owner isn't a fan of theirs so I'd be doing it on my own. She's happy to promote me with her own clients as well.

In my opinion just do a free advert on Yell.
Google is where you need to be to get the business.

In my opinion just do a free advert on Yell.
Google is where you need to be to get the business.

That makes sense, seeing as that's where I always look for everything.

Where would I contact to increase my Google profile? Is it like Yell, with a contract, or how does it work? (I realise there will be charges, but have no idea on this one)

That makes sense, seeing as that's where I always look for everything.

Where would I contact to increase my Google profile? Is it like Yell, with a contract, or how does it work? (I realise there will be charges, but have no idea on this one)

You need a website first of all and you need good SEO. We are currently working on quite a few clients websites. Thing is google isn't an overnight thing. It can take a couple months to get a good site built and then a couple more to hopefully come up in the rankings.

Get your work on facebook, instagram and twitter. Some of my clients have been using social networks as search engines. So dont forget to use hashtags that are relevant to your business

Im not a big fan of Facebook as people on here tend to be looking for a deal the same as Gumtree. Twitter is far better. What i will say is that there is a definite market for low end prices. Are your nails twice as good as hers??? Are they amazing and hers are naff??? If hers are good but yours are better, i think youll struggle at double the price IMHO.

Im not a big fan of Facebook as people on here tend to be looking for a deal the same as Gumtree. Twitter is far better. What i will say is that there is a definite market for low end prices. Are your nails twice as good as hers??? Are they amazing and hers are naff??? If hers are good but yours are better, i think youll struggle at double the price IMHO.

This is my dilemma. Whenever I take a nail art class or any other sort of professional education, we're always told to charge what we're worth. Increase prices each year, as every other industry does. I held back for years, not wanting to alienate my client base, but I've been in the industry almost 8 years. I don't think £30 is unrealistic for a good set of nails that last, but I've been accused by some that my prices are over the top (these are the ones looking for bargain £10 nails off gumtree).

Now I'm in a poorer area.... I'm really doubting I can make this work :(

I'm on Facebook already, and have a website but need to spend a day updating it. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram - I'll have to figure them out for promotion's sake!

This is my dilemma. Whenever I take a nail art class or any other sort of professional education, we're always told to charge what we're worth. Increase prices each year, as every other industry does. I held back for years, not wanting to alienate my client base, but I've been in the industry almost 8 years. I don't think £30 is unrealistic for a good set of nails that last, but I've been accused by some that my prices are over the top (these are the ones looking for bargain £10 nails off gumtree).

Now I'm in a poorer area.... I'm really doubting I can make this work :(

I'm on Facebook already, and have a website but need to spend a day updating it. I'm not on Twitter or Instagram - I'll have to figure them out for promotion's sake!

I'll hold my hands up and say I don't know loads about pricing for the industry so don't shoot the messenger!

But... For genuine shellac fingers by CND master and qualified etc around where I live in Essex and also most prices I've seen in London (obviously not seen everywhere don't get me wrong) It seems to top out at high 20's. Like £28. Locally in Essex more like £22-25. £30 may really be a stretch... just a thought.

Mrs Penguin gets hers done whenever she gets hold of my card and I don't even think she would pay £30 even with my money lmao.

Am I wrong in thinking shellac lasts about 2 weeks? That's £15 a week up keep for regulars. Quite a lot. £60 a month. Obviously this is if they're regular which they may not be.

Like I say I have no idea how much the stuff costs :)

Latest posts

Back