Feeling down about hairdressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

francesXXX

Reaction score
Does anyone get totally fed up with your particular field of Hairdressing from time to time? I’m full time mobile, have been for 8 years now and it’s going well business wise, it’s just I can’t really see myself doing it for the rest of my career. All the lugging equipment round and sitting in traffic, washing hair over baths etc. There’s only so much one can take! But I am torn because I also like the freedom I have, and am not sure I’d want to work in a salon again being restricted with opening hours and not being able to keep up my daily gym routine that is very important to me. Can anyone relate to this or got any advice? I just don’t feel like I ‘love’ the job anymore. I also get so lonely during the week, my husband suggested I set up a home salon but I think this would make it worse!

Would staying self employed and renting a chair help solve your dilemma?
You set your own days and times so if you wanted to go to the gym first thing and start a bit later, there’s nothing to stop you doing that.

Hi there, I totally relate to how you feel. I’m a mobile hairdresser and for 11 years too. Michelle Hunt add me on Facebook my picture is
IMG_6697.JPG

It would be nice to have a chat and know someone is on the same boat. What’s your name? Thanks x

If it makes you feel any better .... try mobile hairdressing here in Queensland Australia during our Summer [emoji33]
You can have 40+ degrees with 90% humidity carry your equipment into a house with no airconditioning and drip sweat from ear hole to a#* hole for 3 hours.
Then start blow drying sort of like doing hair in a sauna
Hope that makes you feel slightly better about things

I’ve been doing mobile Hairdressing for the last 8 years full time and it’s beginning to wear me down. Physically and mentally! I’m getting a really bad back from lugging heavy bags around and from washing people’s hair over their baths, and I am getting sick of the driving about and generally wasting time sitting in people’s houses waiting for them to be ready for me, or for their colour to develop etc. I worked out today that of the 8 hours I was out of the house, only five were actually spent doing hair. I can’t do people’s hair at my house as it isn’t nice enough to be honest, I live in a poky little flat with two dogs so it just wouldn’t work. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you/will you solve it? I love Hairdressing but just can’t see myself doing mobile forever! Oh and I can’t rent a chair because I’ve worked out the finances, and I wouldn’t earn enough to cover my mortgage (I earn more from mobile).

You sound a bit overwhelmed OP.
Something clearly has to change to improve your quality of life so what will you change?
There might not be a perfect solution straight away so what are you willing to compromise on?
Rent a chair and increase your prices?
Look for paid employment in a salon?
Go back to college and retrain in something else entirely? (Can be done part-time and even from home)

Have you ever done a 5yr/10 yr plan so that you are working towards a specific goal?

Latest posts

Back