Feeling down and deflated. Mature student wanting to become a hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another option. Teach yourself how to do Upstyling/Bridal/Prom hair and practice lots of different looks to get really good at it. You’d need to get yourself a good quality long hair training head with a proper floor stand but you’d use that when training in a salon or in college anyway.

That could give you an edge when applying for salon positions. Most salons only have one or two people who are really good with dressing long hair so you could walk straight into a job as an assistant on Bridal / Prom days.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/accessallareas/
Subscribe to Patrick Cameron’s tutorial website for a month for a tenner to see if it works for you. Patrick is THE King of dressing long hair. His tutorials are fun to watch and he provides excellent instructions.

UPDATE!
So.. after hitting a wall trying to get an apprenticeship, and speaking to some downright shitty people (one salon owner phoned me just to tell me not to bother! And don’t bother going to college! No problem.. I’ll work in a call centre for the rest of my days on earth NOT)

I’m going to college! I’ve changed my hours at work :)

UPDATE!
So.. after hitting a wall trying to get an apprenticeship, and speaking to some downright shitty people (one salon owner phoned me just to tell me not to bother! And don’t bother going to college! No problem.. I’ll work in a call centre for the rest of my days on earth NOT)

Well done
... I did read yesterday that some colleges, I know Leicester is one are doing free hairdressing courses for mature students

I'm 30 and have just completed a Level 2 VRQ at my local college. 12 months, part time evening. Not all modules though, didn't do perming or promoting products but still gave me enough to start somewhere.

I'm off to do an intensive 15 week master barber course in London now :) can't wait.

Wishing you all the best in your course and new career.

I’m 41, I retrained at 38. Have a masters cert in project management. Trained part time level 2 at college. Halfway through that year I went and got my hair cut at a new salon, I liked the owner and straight out asked if I can volunteer. Did two 4 hour shifts one evening and a sat morning. In return she trained me though I did a lot of salon duties.
level 3 she took me on as an apprentice though I was earning £6,53 an hour but had my redundancy money tofall back on.
finished last October. I started building a clientele when I was volunteering, I am now running a semi full column. Employed.
it’s bloody hard work and not the best paid, likely you will need to swap financial gain for education and training. But a mature student is FOCUSED. I can manage the salon, clients and other staff easy because of my age and experience. I’m a bonus! Your plus points are different to other learners including the natural trust you are given by clients as they think you are more experienced or at least will be more mindful of not screwing up their hair!

Look me up I’m crafted by clare on insta. Pink and white logo. I’m newly qualified and do nails too xx

Really feels like I should just give up. Such a shame as it had taken so much for me to pursue it and actually make the decision to take the plunge. It was going to be a massive sacrifice that I was ready to make... guess I really just fucked up in my life lol serves me right
Never give up!!!!
I didn’t do my hairdressing training until my late 30’s, I now own my own salon.
The apprenticeship route is undoubtedly going to be tough to secure though. For me personally, I managed to find a local salon that offered a p/t option to do my training. It took a little longer, and I had to pay for the course, but I was able to go in and do extra days when I wanted, and it really worked.
Wishing you the best of luck xxxx

UPDATE!

Wow the sad thing is, I’m not surprised that someone has had the cheek to say that to you. The first salon I worked at, I was there 5 months in an apprenticeship. I literally left in tears. One of the owners was the most nasty piece of work I had ever met in my life. She even had the cheek to tell the girls that worked there that they needed to put more makeup on as they were ugly, and the two girls I heard her say it to were stunning. She told me no decent salon employs hair college leavers as they aren’t any good, but I later found out all her top stylists where employed by her from college. She was a disgusting person. I nearly gave up , but I didn’t let that stop me in the end. I went to College and I’m at the nicest salon. The girls are so lovely and we work like the best team, all of us help each other out we all click and we have such a laugh, and my boss now is so lovely, and I think she knows you get the best out of your staff when they are happy and respected. In return she gets the best out of us. I’m now in the process of planning for the future and eventually opening my own salon. I really hope it works out for you. Keep me updated I love a happy ending 😂

Wow the sad thing is, I’m not surprised that someone has had the cheek to say that to you. The first salon I worked at, I was there 5 months in an apprenticeship. I literally left in tears. One of the owners was the most nasty piece of work I had ever met in my life. She even had the cheek to tell the girls that worked there that they needed to put more makeup on as they were ugly, and the two girls I heard her say it to were stunning. She told me no decent salon employs hair college leavers as they aren’t any good, but I later found out all her top stylists where employed by her from college. She was a disgusting person. I nearly gave up , but I didn’t let that stop me in the end. I went to College and I’m at the nicest salon. The girls are so lovely and we work like the best team, all of us help each other out we all click and we have such a laugh, and my boss now is so lovely, and I think she knows you get the best out of your staff when they are happy and respected. In return she gets the best out of us. I’m now in the process of planning for the future and eventually opening my own salon. I really hope it works out for you. Keep me updated I love a happy ending 😂

I know! I couldn’t believe it. I’ve just had another salon owner say to me “but what are you ACTUALLY going to be doing at college though? That’s not going to make you a hairdresser” ..like really? I’m getting a certificate. I appreciate you need some time in a salon to pick up a lot of what it takes but I wish people would stop poo pooing going to college. I could sit around and wait for an apprenticeship forever, but I know I have little to no chance, so I’m making this happen on my own.
I really appreciate you sharing your experience with me! I hope to find a salon very much like the one you have found! I hope to have my own salon one day too!

I will keep sharing updates! Thank you so much! 😘

Look me up I’m crafted by clare on insta. Pink and white logo. I’m newly qualified and do nails too xx
Found you and followed! X

Oh and one thing I wanted to ask you guys..

I went and bought all of my kit from the wholesalers on Friday. I had a list from the college and paid for it myself. I’ve just realised the scissors (standard and thinners) are right handed. I’m left handed. Do I need to ask if I can swap them? Do you think I’ll even be able to swap them?

I’m surprised they didn’t ask you before selling them to you, to be honest.
Definitely go back and ask to swap them, assuming they’re still sealed.

I’m surprised they didn’t ask you before selling them to you, to be honest.
Definitely go back and ask to swap them, assuming they’re still sealed.

they never did! I just noticed when going through my things and then remembered how hard of a time I have when using scissors and that’s what made me think. I’m going to take them back and ask to swap tomorrow.

I’m a beautician not a hairdresser but when I was 14 (in the 90s) I was told to get a job by my mum, the only job you could get back then at 14 was as a Saturday girl at a hairdressers. I worked in two salons and I was treated like dirt, actually worse than dirt! One girl moaned I was taking too long washing clients hair, I have thick hair and know there’s nothing worse than not rinsing all product out and only realising once it’s been blown, so she said for every minute I ran over the allotted time they would take £1 off my wages (I used to get £15 for 9-5) at the end of the day she asked if I wanted to know how much I was getting and then laughed in my face with the other stylist while the boss just smirked...she was winding me up but found it funny to humiliate me! The other salon wasn’t much fun either. Ever since then I’ve had bad anxiety going into salons and avoid it like the plague. Turns out I’ve met some lovely hairdressers and my best friend is a hairdresser who I met through her being my client so not saying all salons are like this but it’s a shame I’ve got a real phobia because of some rude horrible hairdressers back then!

I’m a beautician not a hairdresser but when I was 14 (in the 90s) I was told to get a job by my mum, the only job you could get back then at 14 was as a Saturday girl at a hairdressers. I worked in two salons and I was treated like dirt, actually worse than dirt! One girl moaned I was taking too long washing clients hair, I have thick hair and know there’s nothing worse than not rinsing all product out and only realising once it’s been blown, so she said for every minute I ran over the allotted time they would take £1 off my wages (I used to get £15 for 9-5) at the end of the day she asked if I wanted to know how much I was getting and then laughed in my face with the other stylist while the boss just smirked...she was winding me up but found it funny to humiliate me! The other salon wasn’t much fun either. Ever since then I’ve had bad anxiety going into salons and avoid it like the plague. Turns out I’ve met some lovely hairdressers and my best friend is a hairdresser who I met through her being my client so not saying all salons are like this but it’s a shame I’ve got a real phobia because of some rude horrible hairdressers back then!

omg no way! That’s horrid.. sadly you get people like that in every business. Some bosses are just awful and love making certain individuals their scapegoat to chip away at and humiliate! But I have met some absolutely lovely hairdressers too x

I ended going to college at 22 coz no one wanted a trainee and pay the higher rate for my age.. i had a great time met some great people and learned a lot but you cant stand at the back or be quiet.. you need to find out as much as poss and bring in as many different clients as you can so they teach you all different hair Cuts n types.. the oldest lady in our group was 44 at the time and she went onto be an amazing mobile hairdresser with a huge clientele ..
my friend went as trainee at salon at 16 with day release and after 2 yrs at the salon she had to do a further 2yrs at college as she hadnt been trained to a proper standard
Goodluck with your course

I started training last September and have just qualified in level 2 and going to do the barbering level 2 in a few weeks. I went to college and loved it and am also getting some work experience in a salon now.

I am 30 and have 4 children the reason I started last year is my oldest Son was severely disabled and passed away and I thought what am I going to do with myself now. I started 4 months after he passed and honestly it has helped me so much to do something I enjoy.

Don’t give up and do consider going to college. 🙂

I'm very nervous to work in a salon! I hear so many stories of ego-ridden rude salon owners. I need to get the experience but I envisage walking out of a few to find the right one for me.

Keep the faith @Scuzzlet1995 - let's open our own 30+ happy salon 😂

scuzzlet don’t give up! I was in the exact same boat as you! I decided last year to finally train as a hairdresser at the age of 26 after wanting to do it in school but lacked confidence massively back then and then had children so went and got an office job to pay the bills etc (boring stuff). I trained with a training salon in the West Midlands, and paid privately (it wasn’t too expensive either as they did an instalment plan and you only pay for as long as it takes you to pass) It was one day a week hands on training in a real functioning salon (at the beginning whilst passing your theory it’s alternate weeks practical/theory) I practiced all the time out of the salon on training heads and family etc, watched endless amounts of YouTube tutorials too to look at different techniques, brought all the text books... basically I invested a lot of time effort and money into it (course fees and kitting myself out with everything I need to be able to go mobile).... then lockdown happened which put things on hold but I went back to finish my last few assessments off as soon as salons could open again and I have now passed everything off and have an NVQ 2 in hairdressing! Super over the moon at 27 with 3 kids I’ve finally managed to become the qualified hairdresser I wanted to be over a decade ago. Never give up, there’s always a way! If you want any details on anything drop me a message :)

Latest posts

Back