Feeling down-taken for granted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkeedee

Reaction score
Much as I love my job and the majority of my clients are fab just lately i'm feeling really fed up with being taken for granted. Worse part is i suspect its all my own fault. I have a home salon and welcome everyone warmly, making them feel at ease and comfortable. Unfortunately this is starting to back fire on me big style. I am now being treated as a friend and not as a therapist.
Just lately i have been asked for lifts home, done nail repairs and not been paid (when i told them how much it was they just laughed and said they hadnt brought any money with them), had clients turning up for nails and insisting on having toes as well even though I havent got time to do both, the list is endless and I'm so fed up.
Big question is ..... what on earth do I do to stop all this without losing clients???

I would say you don't need clients like those kind! Be yourself and seek the clients that respect you for being a professional and that don't take advantage.

I think many of us have been there. It is natural especially when starting out to make ourselves as obliging as possible. However you do have to keep boundaries and stick to them. You can still be warm but keep professional. Clients are not friends - they are customers. If someone wants to add on another service and you cannot do it - just say you will book them in at a later date more convenient. If you do a nail repair, say it is £x before you start. I also tend to think that clients visiting a home salon tend to think it is just a hobby and you have all day to sort them out. You are the only one that can do this - being nice does not mean being walked over. Make sure that your terms and conditions back up your policies.

I had a lady who asked for her facial to be extended yesterday but I had someone strait after so I politely said I will do the longer one next time for you and her reply was 'but I never have time' - some people are just demanding but I like to be able to let them know that I am actually really busy and back to back a lot of the time and that they can't just pick and choose on whim!

Much as I love my job and the majority of my clients are fab just lately i'm feeling really fed up with being taken for granted. Worse part is i suspect its all my own fault. I have a home salon and welcome everyone warmly, making them feel at ease and comfortable. Unfortunately this is starting to back fire on me big style. I am now being treated as a friend and not as a therapist.
Just lately i have been asked for lifts home, done nail repairs and not been paid (when i told them how much it was they just laughed and said they hadnt brought any money with them), had clients turning up for nails and insisting on having toes as well even though I havent got time to do both, the list is endless and I'm so fed up.
Big question is ..... what on earth do I do to stop all this without losing clients???

You need to treat this as a business and change your attitude towards it. For example, somebody laughing at you when you told them how much... I would have said "Honestly Mary - that IS the cost of the repair. None of us can live on fresh air now can we?" let's say she then says she's forgotten her wallet... "That's inconvenient for me as I have just provided you with a service. When can I expect payment?"...

If you loose this type of client - that's not a bad thing (as they're not paying anyway lol) if they are taking advantage but you mustn't let them. You don't have to stop being YOU and providing a lovely atmosphere, but you DO need to be upfront on costs and don't apologise for it. Get it out of the way at the beginning - BEFORE you start. "So today I have you booked in for a Shellac treatment on your fingers... is that correct?" Ok great - that cost will be £25 - just letting you know up front!! That's not rude and their is NO MISTAKING your intentions. It also gives 'Mary' the opp to say "Oh I wanted toes doing too" and you can then say "Oh it's such a shame you didn't call me as I have "Linda" right in after you - if you want to come back I have an appointment free at 'such and such' time....

You are providing a service!! I am quite sure 'Mary' doesn't forget her wallet when she shops in Sainsbury's or gets petrol!!! HTH's x

You're too nice and they will only get away with whatever you let them!

It's hard the first time to say something, but MrsGeek has given you some perfect starting lines, once you say no once it will come more easily.

A lift home? "no sorry, I've got another client in 10 minutes and I need to prep and sanitise my working area ready. Would you like me to call you cab?"

You need to treat this as a business and change your attitude towards it. For example, somebody laughing at you when you told them how much... I would have said "Honestly Mary - that IS the cost of the repair. None of us can live on fresh air now can we?" let's say she then says she's forgotten her wallet... "That's inconvenient for me as I have just provided you with a service. When can I expect payment?"...

If you loose this type of client - that's not a bad thing (as they're not paying anyway lol) if they are taking advantage but you mustn't let them. You don't have to stop being YOU and providing a lovely atmosphere, but you DO need to be upfront on costs and don't apologise for it. Get it out of the way at the beginning - BEFORE you start. "So today I have you booked in for a Shellac treatment on your fingers... is that correct?" Ok great - that cost will be £25 - just letting you know up front!! That's not rude and their is NO MISTAKING your intentions. It also gives 'Mary' the opp to say "Oh I wanted toes doing too" and you can then say "Oh it's such a shame you didn't call me as I have "Linda" right in after you - if you want to come back I have an appointment free at 'such and such' time....

You are providing a service!! I am quite sure 'Mary' doesn't forget her wallet when she shops in Sainsbury's or gets petrol!!! HTH's x

This^. You just have, HAVE to be more firm. You can't allow people to take advantage or steal service from you. If they aren't paying you aren't working.

It's one thing to be friendly and to have a relationship with your customers, but you ARE NOT their friend. They are paying you for your services. You have treat it like a professional relationship at some capacity for them to take you seriously.

Thanks everyone :) I really need to toughen up! I just find it so hard to say what I want to say. I start off with all intentions of being strong and then end up agreeing to things i'm not happy with.
As i am writing this ive just had a text saying that someone will drop in early if they finish work early!! Their app is 6pm!! So here goes .... my reply is "sorry i won't be able to fit you in any earlier as i have a client in before you. Look forward to seeing you at 6pm" The thing is i havent got a client in before them but i'm sick of people telling me what they will do rather than asking me first.
I feel like such a grumpy moo :( and I hate feeling like this because I love my job.

Great advice thank you :) x

Thanks everyone :) I really need to toughen up! I just find it so hard to say what I want to say. I start off with all intentions of being strong and then end up agreeing to things i'm not happy with.
As i am writing this ive just had a text saying that someone will drop in early if they finish work early!! Their app is 6pm!! So here goes .... my reply is "sorry i won't be able to fit you in any earlier as i have a client in before you. Look forward to seeing you at 6pm" The thing is i havent got a client in before them but i'm sick of people telling me what they will do rather than asking me first.
I feel like such a grumpy moo :( and I hate feeling like this because I love my job.

Nice work, and I guarantee they turn up at 6 with no problems at all. If they do say something then your reply is 'it's always worth sending me a quick text to see if I can get you in earlier, no point in us both waiting around if I'm free, but obviously if I've got someone booked in already I can't do it [big grin]' and busy yourself getting to work signalling end of conversation, and on to the fun stuff :D

Nice work, and I guarantee they turn up at 6 with no problems at all. If they do say something then your reply is 'it's always worth sending me a quick text to see if I can get you in earlier, no point in us both waiting around if I'm free, but obviously if I've got someone booked in already I can't do it [big grin]' and busy yourself getting to work signalling end of conversation, and on to the fun stuff :D
Thank you, yes you're absolutely right, ive got to take charge and 'retrain' my clients :) x

Thank you, yes you're absolutely right, ive got to take charge and 'retrain' my clients :) x

There you go doll - the fighting spirit will out!!! Let us know how you get on!! :hug:

Some fab advice there Trinity and Mrs geek :D

See, you're toughening up already. It really is about mindset. If a client thinks you're always available then you'll be the first person they mess around if they need to change something. Once they know that they can't change their appointment at the drop of a hat they start to respect your time.

It took me a while to learn but I got there in the end! We run proper, fully fledged businesses that just happen to be from our home address!

I'm a real people-pleaser by nature (I think a lot of therapists are) and I used to find this sort of thing really hard. But it gets easier the more you do it, then it becomes second nature.

I'm a real people-pleaser by nature (I think a lot of therapists are) and I used to find this sort of thing really hard. But it gets easier the more you do it, then it becomes second nature.
Thats what ive tried to do, please people and make them feel special but i see now that some people take that as a sign to push the barriers and take advantage. Am going to watch 'THE Apprentice' tonight and practise some Alan Sugar techniques lol x

Id say, if someone comes for a repair and 'forgets' their purse "ok I will add the £xx on to your next appointment just this once"

Latest posts

Back