Feeling fed up of the beauty industry.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
Hi guys, not sure if this is the right forum for this. I’ve been doing beauty on an off since 2018. Some weeks I love it, some weeks I hate it and feel really low and fed up. Depends what mood I’m in, and what type of clients I have. Is this normal? Or am I loosing my love for beauty?
I’m really creative and love doing treatments but I can’t help but feel this way… I have also received a couple of 4 star reviews recently when I usually get 5 star and even though it sounds silly, because it’s still good I guess, it gets to me.

I massively fluctuate with my enthusiasm and drive, all sorts of reasons, overtired is my usual trigger. If I have a holiday I usually come back reinvigorated and excited, but before I go and I'm over worked i hate it.

Currently I'm disenchanted, it all seems pointless when I'm fighting to stay open but losing clients fast.

In the past a training course would usually pull me out of a slump but there's no spare money for training at the moment

Hi Paige
I’ve been in Beauty for over 10 years and like Trinity my enthusiasm fluctuates. Right now I’m feeling optimistic (which is a bit irrational because times are tough, but I guess I like a challenge!). I do suffer from burn out and often feel very low and trapped when I’m actually doing very well.

I do benefit massively from courses and interaction with other therapists. I’ve no plans to attend courses this year (unless they are free) so I guess my motivation will start to flag at some point.

Self knowledge is key and that comes with experience. I’ve also invested in meditation and mindfulness training and that’s really helped me. I feel much stronger emotionally and if I start to feel anxious I know how to boost myself.

As you’ve been in beauty now for 5 years you may be ready for a new challenge. Learning something new might invigorate you and it doesn’t have to be beauty - take up a hobby like growing houseplants or something.

Hi Paige
I’ve been in Beauty for over 10 years and like Trinity my enthusiasm fluctuates. Right now I’m feeling optimistic (which is a bit irrational because times are tough, but I guess I like a challenge!). I do suffer from burn out and often feel very low and trapped when I’m actually doing very well.

I do benefit massively from courses and interaction with other therapists. I’ve no plans to attend courses this year (unless they are free) so I guess my motivation will start to flag at some point.

Self knowledge is key and that comes with experience. I’ve also invested in meditation and mindfulness training and that’s really helped me. I feel much stronger emotionally and if I start to feel anxious I know how to boost myself.

As you’ve been in beauty now for 5 years you may be ready for a new challenge. Learning something new might invigorate you and it doesn’t have to be beauty - take up a hobby like growing houseplants or something.
Thank you for this I’ll take a look into these. I suffer with mild depression and anxiety anyway. The thing is where I work too, there’s only me my manager depends on. No one else works for her. I was so stressed the other day because I had to go to a doctors appointment… she made me feel really bad because the cost of everything and loosing out on money off clients….
I just hope this week is better for me.

This is totally normal Paige, I’ve been in the industry for 18 years now and I must admit I’ve gone through my whole career humble but knowing I was good at what I did and was confident I would keep my clients happy and didn’t suffer with envy from other girls I’ve worked with….until recently!

I’ve been trying to build up my instagram account as I’m self employed and work from home, and this seems to be the way forward (although I draw a line at tiktok) and that’s really getting me down as I’ve only got 200 followers, only two are actual clients. I also see all the other therapists’ amazing work and it’s sent me into a panic that I’m not as good!

I had a side business making natural soap/shampoo bars (something I started in lockdown) and I found instagram as my only platform to advertise and got burnt out with all the reels and interaction you have to do…I’m 37 and quite shy so hated putting myself out there doing lives etc.

Anyway, my point is after 18 years I’m feeling the worst I’ve ever felt and I’m looking into new training to give myself a kick up the butt but I know it will get better and we all have times like these 💓

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right forum for this. I’ve been doing beauty on an off since 2018. Some weeks I love it, some weeks I hate it and feel really low and fed up. Depends what mood I’m in, and what type of clients I have. Is this normal? Or am I loosing my love for beauty?
I’m really creative and love doing treatments but I can’t help but feel this way… I have also received a couple of 4 star reviews recently when I usually get 5 star and even though it sounds silly, because it’s still good I guess, it gets to me.
I can’t tell you how reassuring it is to read this Paige! I too started Beauty in 2018, and have started to feel really unsure this year if beauty is the right path for me, and have felt so anxious and pretty depressed. I just wanted to let you know you aren’t alone with how you feel, i feel like this is such a hard time for this industry. if you ever need another therapist to chat to you I’m here for you x

Sometimes I feel the same... But! I try to develop my business and always look for new opportunities. Moving on is the key to success, just don't stop. By the way ladies, any InnoSupps reviews? I want to add some interesting items to the sale so look for real reviews first.

Last edited:
I feel this sometimes too. I suggest doing something industry related that you love to get some inspiration back. Go and visit another spa and have your fave treatment done by someone else, you might learn something from them (i.e. you love or hate the way they do something). Learn something new. Choose your favourite treatment and think about how you can make it better or a better experience for your client. Revamp your space, change a picture on the wall, cushion or towel colour, something that feels a little different and special. Change the services you offer? Take off the ones that don't make you happy. Are you overworked? Do you need a break? Less hours? Food for thought.

This is totally normal Paige, I’ve been in the industry for 18 years now and I must admit I’ve gone through my whole career humble but knowing I was good at what I did and was confident I would keep my clients happy and didn’t suffer with envy from other girls I’ve worked with….until recently!

I’ve been trying to build up my instagram account as I’m self employed and work from home, and this seems to be the way forward (although I draw a line at tiktok) and that’s really getting me down as I’ve only got 200 followers, only two are actual clients. I also see all the other therapists’ amazing work and it’s sent me into a panic that I’m not as good!

I had a side business making natural soap/shampoo bars (something I started in lockdown) and I found instagram as my only platform to advertise and got burnt out with all the reels and interaction you have to do…I’m 37 and quite shy so hated putting myself out there doing lives etc.

Anyway, my point is after 18 years I’m feeling the worst I’ve ever felt and I’m looking into new training to give myself a kick up the butt but I know it will get better and we all have times like these 💓

That sounds really tough, Paige. It's easy to get overwhelmed with all the content that's out there and compare ourselves to others, but it's important to remember that everyone has their own journey and that's okay. It's admirable that you're looking into new training and trying to push yourself out of your comfort zone in order to feel better. I'm sure you'll get through this and come out on the other side feeling more confident and empowered. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back