Feeling like a failure and need to man up!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fairydust

Reaction score
I made the mistake off becoming to friendly with a client I felt story for. she is a single mum who struggles with bi polar. I accepted it wen she missed appointments because she was having a down day, frequently let her pay late wen she cried poverty. And to be honest went beyond the call off duty, gave her hundreds off pounds worth of baby stuff wen she became pregnant. Anyway she just stopped coming and I noticed she was avoiding making eye contact with me if I saw her in the school playground. Today was the final straw when.she totally Blanked me, I decided to send her a Txt and ask if I had upset or offended her and could have cried when she sent one back saying no I hadn't upset her but she has decided to go somewhere else as she prefers there gel! And she really likes me and has been dreading telling me! Omg I felt like such an idiot. Nobody likes to be told there not good enough and to be honest it won't be a great loss and she forever messed me about but even so nobody has ever said anything like that to me before and I could have cried! I know you can't please everyone and people are fickle but even so its a horrible feeling! Moral off the story it dosent pay to be kind. From now on friends are friends and clients are clients!

Your only human, poor you, *hugs* xxxx

If she's that poor why was she having her nails done, rather than put the money towards baby stuff!

But we have all been there helped someone out, only to be stabbed in the back...it's because we are nice people.

As for clients becoming friends..you do have to be careful. Having said that I have a client who we became friends and have been for years.. but business is business and friends is friends...she still pays what everyone else does..no discount!

Where in her statement did she say you were not good enough? ... according to you, she said she preferred another type of gel!

The woman is not tied to you no matter how kind you have been, and you clearly have been generous ... were you being generous only to keep her as a client or because it was a kind thing to do and you are a kind person? If you are a kind person by nature then I would carry on being so and not let this little incident stop you.

My little boy had just turned one when she had her baby and she had split up with her partner so I passed on everything to try and save her some money and help her out. As for the not being good enough, that's how I took it as a set off natural nail French overlays can't differ to much, i use good products and I know for sure her nails never chipped of lifted as I did them for yrs! Oh well you win some you lose some. To be honest just typing it made me feel better, and she was a pain from a professional point of view. However I must admit it didn't make me feel to great! My husband told me to man up and move on!

I think it sounds like a blessing in disguise :)

You're still a nice person, she's still the way she is but now you're not being messed about xx

I think it sounds like a blessing in disguise :)

You're still a nice person, she's still the way she is but now you're not being messed about xx

Couldn't agree more.

I once heard a saying 'There are no friends in business.' It's true in 99.99% per cent of cases.:biggrin:

You don't have to stop being a nice person and unfortunately you had to learn a lesson the hard way. She will need you before you need her...that's when you need to man up and just be polite and tell her you're fully booked as she will be back...maybe not next week or even in 6 months time...but at some stage she will try and get back round you. Be strong and move on :hug: xx

Bless you! She should have just been honest with you. But all you have to do now is move on from it! You sound like a lovely person & maybe she took advantage of your kind nature! Chin up babe xx

Aww thank u all! Let's see if her new nail tech will leave work and go to the chemist in the pissing down rain, collect her 'bipolar' medication and hand deliver it to her house. I was so worried that she wasn't coping with her baby because she was to low to collect her tablets. I'm obviously a soft touch! Oh well from now on business is business, being nice dosent pay bills! X

awww I can sympathise with you, I would have felt hurt too! You are obviously a nice person, unfortunately some people in life are takers and I wouldnt take it personally hun x

^ Good for you! ^

I agree with Rebecca xx

You don't have to stop being a nice person and unfortunately you had to learn a lesson the hard way. She will need you before you need her...that's when you need to man up and just be polite and tell her you're fully booked as she will be back...maybe not next week or even in 6 months time...but at some stage she will try and get back round you. Be strong and move on :hug: xx

oh thats awful for her to do that after everything you've done to help her. Dont let it worry you, focus on your other clients, and most importantly dont let it put you off being a nice person!!

I am sorry to hear this, but....

Being extra kind to a client doesn't qualify in them being stuck to your side and being your best friend. Yes, a client is a client...although I think alot of my clients, I have to bare in mind that they are paying customers, and can walk to else where at anytime!

I would never take any conditions, and allow any client to be special enough to allow them to pay later. I appreciate my clients, but at the end of the day, you are providing a service to this person.
You need to think of your work, more then their problems.

Sorry, I know this sounds harsh, and I do believe that Clients are important. But you need to realise, you need to do your job aswell!

awww don't let it bother you,you seem a really kind person,i can be like that too.
you went out of your way for this lady and it has taught you a lesson that sometimes people can be fickle.
I feel in our job we become Therapists in more ways than one,clients confide in us but you need to be sympathetic but also try not to become personally effected by other peoples problems if that makes sense.:hug:

I have to say I agree with your husband. You can't let incidents like this worry you.

In my other business I often deal with people whose attitude is less than ideal, but remember this, it say's a lot more about them that it does you.

Continue being the nice person that you are, there are lots of lovely people out there that will reciprocate it.

Life is too short to worry about what I frequently call niff naff, p**s and trivia.

Rise above it. xx

Fairy dust you explained it all with the bipolar. Stay the nice person you are, and remember that there is no rational with irrational people. 😉

My CND ambassador said to me, don't take things personal, she said you will to begin with but you have to learn not too. I am slowly learning not to!

Latest posts

Back