Feeling like giving up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLovesTanning

Tanning ❤️
Reaction score
I've been reading a few threads about months being really slow and what to do about it. I know September is going to be slow due to cost of school expenses. Although I was fully booked at the start of September because of the debs...

I do advertise on social media as well as Done deal and Gumtree, and honestly ALL of my business has been from Donedeal and Gumtree none from social media or flyers! I prefer Donedeal and Gumtree as you can see how many times your ad is being viewed...

I feel like with flyers people don't read them just see them on the floor and throw them in the bin...

I use excellent pictures on Done deal and Gumtree and clients have contacted me wanting to be the extact colour as the pictures even clients from around the country wanting to know what brand I use... So clearly the pictures are working... I use St.Tropez and in my county only 5 salons use it and I charge at least €10 cheaper if not more!! Being St.Tropez I taught advertising that alone would get people in a reputable brand for cheaper... But it doesn't seem to work...

What do you do? What gets people in brands or pictures?

Aww don't give up :( <3

I think we've all felt like this at some point when running our own business, especially during the quiet months. Is it just spray tans that you offer? As I could imagine that being really hard during winter. I get the majority of my clients from Facebook, and don't bother with flyers anymore as it was so much effort and money with such little return. I found If I paid for Facebook advertising instead I got a much better pay off.

Perhaps you could post the links to your social media so we could help?

I am a hairdresser as well but have found that people are very fussy with their hair and tend to stick to the one stylist for the rest of their life... I do makeup and spray tanning and am going to go to college next year to do skin care and offer that...I really love spray tanning and have found that the bad weather months are actually my best months for business... I know I can make a living from doing just spray tanning I just am trying to figure out how some others Have done it?

I am a hairdresser as well but have found that people are very fussy with their hair and tend to stick to the one stylist for the rest of their life... I do makeup and spray tanning and am going to go to college next year to do skin care and offer that...I really love spray tanning and have found that the bad weather months are actually my best months for business... I know I can make a living from doing just spray tanning I just am trying to figure out how some others Have done it?

Makeup is a really popular thing to get done at the moment, have you got an online portfolio and regularly post pictures of your work on social media? Also do you have a website?

Yes I put up pics everyday, like clockwork... I did but it wasn't working and it was an expense I just didn't need.

You say you're at least 10 Euro cheaper on a spray tan, why? Low prices put clients off and attract the wrong types of clients. 1 or 2 euro less is ok but that's it.

Because i started charging before i looked at the prices of other salon's... And my prices are in line with other expenses I pay.

I think it's a saturated market depending where you are i.e. Dublin. I could go an any buy and sell FB page and find at least 3 tanners local to me that's without the salons in my area.
St.Tropez is a fab tan but it's aimed at IMO to expense. Plus if you where to ask how many people have heard of it etc it'd be a lot fewer than say Crazy Angel or Bellamianta. It might be worth changing your brand? Or looking into it.
Our salon recently took in the custom cocktail tan and our clients and staff are loving it. HTH

Custom cocktails is so cheap. There is tanners in Dublin on every corner literally. What do you mean its aimed at expense? I can't think of any one who doesn't know of St.Tropez, even my 60 year old neighbour has used it?

Yeah even a 60 year old has but has a 16 year old? That's what I meant. The younger clients are the ones that spend money on tan regularly.
And with expense I mean it's promoted as a luxurious product compared to other Tans. I'm not 100% sure of price point of Custom but surely the quality of the tan and how clients like it is better for you. They don't need to know the price

Yeah that's true, I had the first 2 weeks in September fully booked with debs... But they were delighted to know I used St.Tropez... Probably because they can't afford to buy it in boots for like €44.99... I feel like it is a luxurious tanning brand but there is 1 or 2 comparable brands also... I think the brand is really important and can get clients in with obviously excellent pictures also! How much do you charge for a spray tan?

I prefer Moroccan tan, my clients absolutely love the colour and no one else in my area uses it. For some reason st tropez always irritated my skin and a lot of people say it wears off patchy and can go orange

That's funny, all my clients that have asked what tan I use before I spray them are delighted I use St.Tropez but I agree its not the bee knee's but They are happy cause it's "Luxurious".

Suppose every client base is different! The fact that st tropez sell products all over the high street and in boots put me off to be honest. Clients can't get a hold of MT themselves so this helps with my retail, as they have to buy products directly from myself and suppose it's then seen as an exclusively professional brand. But if st tropez works for you and your clients then keep at it with the marketing :)

I had a client yesterday who said that it's cheaper for her to get a spray tan from me with St.Tropez rather than buying it... LOL

I had a client yesterday who said that it's cheaper for her to get a spray tan from me with St.Tropez rather than buying it... LOL

Then perhaps like others have said your prices may be too low? You could put them up now that you know you're 10 euros cheaper than other salons maybe :)

Latest posts

Back