Feeling like my job is being stolen!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlyema

Reaction score
A bit of a long one but here goes... I have been working in a nail salon for four months now. Originally I was employed as salon manager. This includes all the receptionist duties, stock control, day to day running of salon, rosters etc. But as the salon has got busier im finding myself doing nails more and more often. Dont get me wrong I love doing nails but its not the job I applied for. As a result of this I feel im not running the salon as efficiently as I could be. To add insult to injury the owner now has me training in his young daughter to run the reception desk while im busy doing nails. I feel like he is taking my job out from under my nose!! Seriously disheartened as I put my all into the salon (7 days a week non stop) only to end up doing nails while a 16 year old runs the place!! Should I suck it up and get on with things doing nails or look for another job?? Confused and annoyed!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ask for a meeting with the owner and put it to them that as the nail side of things have grown dramatically it would be beneficial to add a nail technician to the team so that you can put more focus back on your role as manager.

The 16 year old may have ambitions herself and you are solving a problem and being a cheap alternative for doing two jobs at the moment. The sooner you call a meeting the sooner things can be rectified.

I have a meeting every week. The owner is not a nail tech and doesnt know anything about it all he cares about is what money is coming in and to have as little as possible going out! Im considering leaving due to this lack of understanding. He doesnt want to hire anyone else as we are not always tearing busy its a bit random at the moment so he is saving money by telling me to do nails and bringing in the daughter instead. It doesnt state in my contract that im a nail tech in the salon my duties are all laid out clearly and this is not one of them!! Managing a salon is my dream job but slowly feels like its turning into a nightmare :(

Find another job. Life is way to short.....

Agreed with the above!

I would perhaps wait it out , it doesn't look good on your cv to chop and change too often. Secondly wouldn't a manger get paid more then the regular nail technicians? Thirdly if you can juggle both then you are really putting your skills to the test. I personally would feel very chipped off with a 16yr old taking my job as well, however I don't see a receptionist as or in same level as manager or technician skills wise.
Perhaps he has reasons to maybe keep his daughter in the industry to send she wants to go further or maybe she has other issues who know's.

You can also take the approach of our South Africans, u don't pay me to do x so I only do x. If he puts his daughter as receptionist fine let her answer phone etc if there is a bugger up let it be known sorry you full with clients can't manage the front within your working hours. I very much doubt a kid would sit there for very long.

Far as I am aware managers over sea and full in for therapists who are sick etc so just be more firm. Fight the issue not the person.
Good luck!

Beauty at your finger tips!

I say work with it! Train the daughter to be the best receptionist ever. I've managed restaurants for years and a great manager will deligate duties while always following up. Don't feel threatened, it is a sign of weakness. This frees you up to manage the stock, oversee other techs, do promotions to bring in more business, finding the best deals from your suppliers, provide more training and education for your techs. Do you have meetings on techniques and trending nail art? You have so much else you can do than answer phones!

I know it just sounds like im having a bit of a whine but I took the job specifically because thats what I love to do and thats what was in the job description! Now I feel like im being taken for a fool :(

There's nothing wrong with a bit of a whine, it helps us work things out. It's best to embrace this. You needed help, the owner gave you help. Work it to your advantage. You will more successful as a manager not having to do mundane tasks. You will be more powerful as a manager NOT doing everything yourself! Doing nails yourself occasionally will keep you in touch with your techs and you will be more aware of what they're doing. But, I understand if you are having to nails more than you like. Put on a brave face and don't let any one see this bothers you as it will make you appear insecure. Best if luck and let us know how it turns out for you. ((Hugs))

I know it just sounds like im having a bit of a whine but I took the job specifically because thats what I love to do and thats what was in the job description! Now I feel like im being taken for a fool :(

There's some really good advice on here but from your responses, it sounds like you're quite unhappy with how it's played out so far. Ultimately if you're unhappy with how things are changing, perhaps it's best for you to move on...only you can make that call. You haven't been there for very long though, so realistically it sounds like it's early days.
At the end of the day though, your job title hasnt been removed from you, you havent been demoted and unless she starts doing everything on your job description, I'd take it as a bit of a compliment youve been asked to help out with Nails. That could be a great opportunity for you to build good rapport with your techs and as a manager ensure their practices keep in line with what the Salon expects.
From your comments about the owner though, if his business practices dont ethically sit right with you, I'd keep my eyes open for other opportunities.

All the best in what you decide is right for you and your career :)

Im not happy to be honest! We were very busy monday for example as trialing a new girl and stocktaking and I had to take on a client in the afternoon as she was an "important" client ie. Someone the owner knows. So the daughter was sent in to cover the desk. Five minutes before closing I get a text from owner asking for all the monthly reports asap. Im still looking after "important" client so owner just says talk my daughter through them she'll do it. The girl doesnt have ambitions for the industry she wants to be a teacher!! I went back to college to study business to get this job or similar at huge personal cost. Not to train someone else to do it while I do nails. Leaving is looking better and better as have applied for some other positions and have had a few responses. But not sure if I can do it because the place will fall apart due to lack of staff. Thanks for all the great responses and advice it really helps!! :)

I can imagine it just be very disheartening for you. However I do not see a 16 year old receptionist can be classed as stealing your job and running the salon. So I really wouldn't worry about it. He's maybe just trying to help you out a little bit by getting in his daughter to work a few days and start earning her own way in life. Perfectly normal. And gives her experience.
But also.. There are plenty of people who run a business and are actively doing treatments and can manage it. I think it's actually quite good to see managers/owners etc getting involved during busy times to do some treatments. It takes the pressure off the therapists and ensures a better smooth running environment. I would be furious if I worked somewhere and the therapists were all heaving busy but my manager was just swanning around as graceful as a swan whilst everyone else was running about like headless chickens. I've actually worked somewhere where the manager was beauty trained but if it got too busy and anyone asked her to do a treatment... She would literally cry!!!! No joke. I think a manager has to be willing to do some beauty treatments every now and again.

Nicola! Xxx

Agreed with above... I have no problem doing nails when it gets very hectic I hate to turn a client away. What bothers me is he is depending on me now to do it all the time to avoid hiring more techs/giving current techs extra hours

Leave...and think positive about future job roles. I'm sure this one was a blip. You know that the dynamics in the salon are wrong and the owner won't do anything about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think you need to talk to the owner before making any decision. Explain how you feel and tell him it's making you consider leaving because you can't take having to do everything. He probably isn't having her there to take your job, he probably thinks he's helping you by giving you an extra hand and helping her by giving her something to do. That's now id see it from an owners point of view. However I can still see it from your point of view too. You were hired to be a manager not a nail tech.

Latest posts

Back