Feeling so useless

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get some really good practice with that tool as since you have mentioned competing I guess you will want to learn acrylic at some point. That tool is fab for me cos it's really important to remove all cuticle when your doing acrylic so they don't lift. Just keep practicing and don't doubt yourself so much! X

Keep your head up. Everything is gonna be ok.
I have been nail tech for a year and I still got some points where I sort of feel discouraged, yet it was far worse at beginning.

Practice makes perfect - if you haven't got a lot of clients and training so far, I would suggest you just post on your social media, that you have some nail art ideas you want to try out and ask does anyone want to be your "guinea pig". And do some manis/pedis for free or for symbolic cost - as you are allowed to paint etc. what ever on their nails - there is your chance to practice cuticle work or whatever else you like, and you don't have to tell anyone what exactly you want to improve without feeling ashamed.

As far as it goes for cuticle work - you might be over-doing it.
I usually put cuticle remover - let it do it's work. When it's time to push back, if you see that cuticle remover has dried out, put a drop of water there and then push back the cuticle, so you won't scratch the nail surface. I usually need 1-2 minutes max to do this on all 10 nails. Several light pushes with pusher usually does the job for me. Then just wipe the area with paper towel and nip any loose ends and hangnails with nippers.
(As peviously suggested - you should stick to one cuticle pusher, or atleast the same type of cuticle pusher. My personal preference would be 1st and 4th. However, find what suits you the best.)
You don't really have to worry much if there is micro amounts of cuticle left on nail if you do gels or gel polish, because you are going to buff the nail anyway, so that will get rid of any remaining micro cuticle on nail.

;)

And for the runny top coat part.. I had experienced the same issues. So I just switched to top coat that's more viscous - that solved my problem.
As well, I find that if top coat is more viscous you might need only one layer on rock-star toes as it applies more thicker.

Get some really good practice with that tool as since you have mentioned competing I guess you will want to learn acrylic at some point. That tool is fab for me cos it's really important to remove all cuticle when your doing acrylic so they don't lift. Just keep practicing and don't doubt yourself so much! X
Thanks Mrs B. I'd love to enhance in the future but still undecided. I was hoping to compete with manicures and gel polish when I'm ready. These days there's so many categories and plenty for non enhancement techs. I'm going to practise on hubs tomorrow and get some tool time in. Thanks, I can be my own worst enemy! X

Keep your head up. Everything is gonna be ok.
I have been nail tech for a year and I still got some points where I sort of feel discouraged, yet it was far worse at beginning.

Practice makes perfect - if you haven't got a lot of clients and training so far, I would suggest you just post on your social media, that you have some nail art ideas you want to try out and ask does anyone want to be your "guinea pig". And do some manis/pedis for free or for symbolic cost - as you are allowed to paint etc. what ever on their nails - there is your chance to practice cuticle work or whatever else you like, and you don't have to tell anyone what exactly you want to improve without feeling ashamed.

As far as it goes for cuticle work - you might be over-doing it.
I usually put cuticle remover - let it do it's work. When it's time to push back, if you see that cuticle remover has dried out, put a drop of water there and then push back the cuticle, so you won't scratch the nail surface. I usually need 1-2 minutes max to do this on all 10 nails. Several light pushes with pusher usually does the job for me. Then just wipe the area with paper towel and nip any loose ends and hangnails with nippers.
(As peviously suggested - you should stick to one cuticle pusher, or atleast the same type of cuticle pusher. My personal preference would be 1st and 4th. However, find what suits you the best.)
You don't really have to worry much if there is micro amounts of cuticle left on nail if you do gels or gel polish, because you are going to buff the nail anyway, so that will get rid of any remaining micro cuticle on nail.

;)

Thanks, I think I am probably being too hard on myself, I'm just such a stickler for being thorough and making sure all that cuticle is gone. I don't buff the nail plate, most people say not to and you certainly shouldn't have to. Also pushing back the eponychium is not going to remove cuticle from side walls or any that's stuck in the center of the nail. When I use the detailer I get a ton of cuticle off- stuff that would otherwise be left. Like many of us, I watched Holly's infamous video and realised just using the pushie doesn't remove cuticle thoroughly enough, which is why I'm such a stickler for it. I just want to be able to do it to perfection- every scrap gone, no damage and to do it in a time effective manor. Thanks for the tip about adding a drop of water, I suppose I could just dip my tool into some. It's really annoying when the cuticle remover evaporates, I'd never experienced that until I switched to Ink! Ideally I'd like to be doing all my prep dry but I can only do that once most the work has already been done in a previous appointment- by me or someone else.

Good idea about trying to get some models in. I have tried but not many of my friends are near me so it's tricky. Also very hard to turn freebie clients into paying ones. I think I'm going to try and practise more on my husband. Even if it's just cuticle work one nail each night! I can try my different tools and see which I prefer. The problem is I trained and practised on people who had well maintained nails and didn't need a lot of cuticle work. When you get a client who's cuticles have never been touched it's a whole different story!

What top coat did you switch to? Do you not use the one that's part of your system? Although I'd prefer a more viscous top coat, as these super runny ones drive me nuts, I wouldn't want to risk service breakdown. I've been on salon geek for so long that the "use the complete system" mantra is basically ingrained into my DNA now lol. I just need to keep the nails flat I think and realise if I'm doing myself and pointing my toes to the sky it's going to run unless I flash cure or find a way to keep them flat.

Xx

Please dont be disheartened. .. experience takes time.... i am still learning... Salon Geek is amazing for finding out info and the ladies here are very knowledgeable and helpful..... i have a client.... lovely girl..... but she will not wear gloves when mucking out her horses.... so when she came in for her first acrylic infills. .. i was horrified. .. there was slight lifting towards the cuticle area... which i discovered. .. is quite normal.... but dirt had managed to get right under... aaarrrgggg filing filing filing.... was my only hope.... i thought it was my fault that they slightly lifted..... my point is before you go beating yourself up.... just check here first. ... if its a thin runny product.... you'll have to wipe your brush on the bottle opening..... ibd just gel topcoat is thicker.... and can be used with other gel polish systems....

Doing your own feet is hard. I get someone else to do mine.

It's ok to ask the client to relax their toe because it's pointing up.

Don't feel bad over stuff that can be easily resolved.

Latest posts

Back