Feeling terrible

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daffyxoxo

Sue
Reaction score
Hi, I use a complete hybrid gel polish system, base, top, lamp, remover, everything and must say that the gel polish usually removes very nicely without the need for any harsh scraping. But today I had a complete nightmare I had to soak for ages keep checking and was left with the really hard sticky residue on the nail plate which would not budge. Eventually I had to scrape and file some of that off and leave some on because I was so worried about damaging the nail. I have written to the company to try and find out what I did wrong but my confidence has been hugely knocked by this I feel terrible. Her nails are her pride and joy. Has anyone had anything like this happened to them? The customer is being really nice about it but I don’t want to charge her Even though she’s trying to insist on paying. Does anyone have any words of wisdom to help me through this. Thank you very much

P.s. I am going into work this Morning to remove the last of the Gel polish and apply new polish. Can anyone tell me is it better to leave a small amount of the colour on the nail plate rather than trying to scrape it all off. The customers nails are quite ridged and the Polish seems to have really settled in between the ridges. I can’t really understand why because i used a rubber base coat and I would’ve thought that would’ve protected the nail plate.

Is this a client you have done before or a new one that has come to you for removal?

I wonder if she had a thin layer of something on her nails before you applied gel polish and didn't realise. I think the cheap discount salon stuff can be like like. I know the mma acrylic goes sticky and gungy so maybe she had some of that on her nails. Otherwise I have no idea what might have happened.

Is this a client you have done before or a new one that has come to you for removal?
Not new, no, I was removing my own work. Usually it comes off quite easily, I’m now wondering whether using heat pads did something to the rubber base coat, though I have used these several times without a problem

I wonder if she had a thin layer of something on her nails before you applied gel polish and didn't realise. I think the cheap discount salon stuff can be like like. I know the mma acrylic goes sticky and gungy so maybe she had some of that on her nails. Otherwise I have no idea what might have happened.
Thank you, it was my own work I was removing but thank you for your comments x

I dont know but if it’s not happened before i’d bet she has done something to them..even if it was just regular top coat on top that would make it quite gunky.

As long as it came off is all that matters.

All clients usually understand that there can be some damage to nail even when perfectly healthy removals aren’t always perfect and sometimes it can be cringey when they want just a removal and no redo or even polish. So i’d probably have recommended a cuticle oil and put some on and then unless there was blood or extreme thinning of nail plate not given it another thought. Then IBX is also useful but using a white sander file to gently buff and then applying the gel fast bonder on its own can usually disguise most nail raggedness.

But unless she has specifically said ‘i am in pain/wtf have you done’ then you need to relax and let it go.

Enjoy your weekend xx

Had it been on for ages? I definitely find that when it’s been on beyond 2-3 weeks (some will stretch it to 4-5!!) it takes much longer to remove. If I know it’s been on ages I give it a real good scratch with a coarse buffer to get rid of a bit more product and sometimes pop my heat lamp on (infra red) as it speeds things up a little
Beyond that I can’t think why it might be. What a pain! x

On the odd occasion it has happened to a couple of my clients, and yes, it is rather a worry when it is the first time.
Clients with a perfectly good, smooth nail plate will always have a 100% removal and nothing left behind , but clients with ridges and thinner nail plates are the few that may develop issues.

I have left a tiny bit on and not been happy, but they have been ok about it.

There is an opportunity to look into IBX and offer it to clients as a repair treatment. It is very good, and I now have clients that just have that as their regular manicure. So it's a winning formula to keep your clients happy.

Also IBX performed before the gel polish application allows a better removal when the time comes.

Stop worrying , we do enough of that anyway.
x

If her nails are ridged and the rubber base has settled into these ridges then it will be quite thick so will take longer soaking.

I wouldn’t recommend scraping but perhaps gently roll the product off with an old file and then give it time to soak out of those ridges.
I wouldn’t worry about it, and try to apply base as thin as possible. And charge for your service.

Thank you for all your helpful comments I was totally freaked out but have now calmed down and finished the customers nails with a design she was very happy with. I really do appreciate the support and education I get from this site xx

Latest posts

Back