Feeling unmotivated

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsbeautyx

Reaction score
I need advice and motivation! I am a fully qualified therapist working full time in a salon, and love my job! However I feel I need to move onto bigger and better things, but still within the industry. My ultimate dream is to work for myself, renting a room or at home. I currently do mobile work and have a small client base but nothing that I can live of, which makes me sad as that's all I want! I know it doesn't come easy, and building a client base can take a while but I just feel like this will never happen for me and that I'll always be working in a salon, for somebody! Can anybody give me any words of wisdom, did anyone just take the risk and quit their job to work for themselves?! All success stories welcome..

I need advice and motivation! I am a fully qualified therapist working full time in a salon, and love my job! However I feel I need to move onto bigger and better things, but still within the industry. My ultimate dream is to work for myself, renting a room or at home. I currently do mobile work and have a small client base but nothing that I can live of, which makes me sad as that's all I want! I know it doesn't come easy, and building a client base can take a while but I just feel like this will never happen for me and that I'll always be working in a salon, for somebody! Can anybody give me any words of wisdom, did anyone just take the risk and quit their job to work for themselves?! All success stories welcome..
I understand exactly how you feel i was in the same shoes as you a few years back, so after having my kids i took 4 years off, once all of them where in school full time i decided that the best option for me and my family was to work for myself so my work fits around my family, i took the plunge last year and rented my own treatment room which luckily for me looks like a small salon with it own shop front window and door plus its 2 mins walk to my house and kids school, i have now been there 6 months its not easy, and sometime cash is very tight but you will definitely feel motivated to make it a success plus its your own business and that's something to be proud off.

I understand exactly how you feel i was in the same shoes as you a few years back, so after having my kids i took 4 years off, once all of them where in school full time i decided that the best option for me and my family was to work for myself so my work fits around my family, i took the plunge last year and rented my own treatment room which luckily for me looks like a small salon with it own shop front window and door plus its 2 mins walk to my house and kids school, i have now been there 6 months its not easy, and sometime cash is very tight but you will definitely feel motivated to make it a success plus its your own business and that's something to be proud off.
That's all I want to do but I'm just worried about not being able to live and pay the bills if it wasn't to work out!

That's all I want to do but I'm just worried about not being able to live and pay the bills if it wasn't to work out!
one option you could look at is renting somewhere say 3 days a week and working in another salon part time at least that way you have some income coming in while you are building your business, and hopefully once your business is getting busier then you go on to full time.
I for one have to make a lot of cutbacks in my everyday spending but i know that there is no success without blood, sweat and tears and believe me i had a lot of tears but slowly i can see things getting more busy and building a client base for myself.

one option you could look at is renting somewhere say 3 days a week and working in another salon part time at least that way you have some income coming in while you are building your business, and hopefully once your business is getting busier then you go on to full time.
I for one have to make a lot of cutbacks in my everyday spending but i know that there is no success without blood, sweat and tears and believe me i had a lot of tears but slowly i can see things getting more busy and building a client base for myself.
Thankyou for your advice, I think I have made the decision to go part time at my full time job and just take the risk and work work work to build up my clientele! My boyfriend is being very supportive and telling me to just go for it which is lovely. What would you say are your busiest days for work? Baring in mind I am mobile.. I just need to work that out and hope my manager will let me drop days!

I did it a couple of years ago and although I've had a few mental slips and luckily a very supportive husband (who earns a good wage), I am pleased that I did it and I love my salon. I have had lots of frustrations with not being able to find a reliable hair stylist and having weeks where I made no money, but I can see it getting better as each year progresses. I have been looking at the post about "how long does it take to build a business" and I am more positive now about the way things are going… everyone seems to be in the same boat…year 1 you think its never going to happen, year 2 you gain loyal clients and start to break even, year 3 you might make some money and even take a week off, year 4 hopefully you are established and happy and making enough money to pay yourself a wage etc… its long and hard, but I wouldn't go back to how I was before now. Just take one step at a time and after cutting down your hours, spend time drumming up business and marketing yourself. Good Luck!

Just playing devil's advocate here - some salon owners may be slightly on edge about employing someone who is also trying to build their own business. They may fear that they will try and poach the salon clients to be their own x

Sorry haven't read the reply's but this is mine

Get motivated about business again! Remember how fun it can be and why you love doing what you do.
Read old threads on here
Search words like 'small business plan/Marketing/Strategies/Branding' on PINTREST! (its amazinggggggg)
Search on youtube for Marie Forlio, her videos are great! Trust me!
Jazz up your website, move stuff around, add new pictures etc

And of course always have a paper and a pen next to you! The ideas will not stop flowing :)

Thankyou for your advice, I think I have made the decision to go part time at my full time job and just take the risk and work work work to build up my clientele! My boyfriend is being very supportive and telling me to just go for it which is lovely. What would you say are your busiest days for work? Baring in mind I am mobile.. I just need to work that out and hope my manager will let me drop days!
My busy days varies but usually its thurs fri,sat i will say look in your area where you want to work are there a lot of stay at home mums older people are there a lot of offices near by that should give you an idea on what days you wanna work. for example my old salon was close to the city so we were usually very busy during weekdays lunch time and evenings but the weekends were very quite so we didn't open on them days.

Just playing devil's advocate here - some salon owners may be slightly on edge about employing someone who is also trying to build their own business. They may fear that they will try and poach the salon clients to be their own x
Yes that's very true as a business owner i would not like that, but i also know that a lot of therapist and stylist do mobile work on the side as long as you respect the salon you work in and work on your business on the side i wouldn't worry i also wouldn't tell my salon owner about it, as long as it does not affect their business.

Latest posts

Back