Female only services?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allthingsbeautyx

Reaction score
Hi all,

Without being sexist, how do I state that my salon is ladies only, mainly for massage treatments. I work from home and I just don’t feel comfortable performing massage there on a male who I don’t know. I don’t want to come across rude!

You simply state that your treatments are for ladies only. Because of the intimate nature of our work, it’s perfectly acceptable to state that your treatments are only for ladies. Exact wording is down to you, but make it clear - I often had men pushing the boundaries. Saying it’s sexist because I offer ladies intimate and not men’s and so on (we’re a mixed salon, just don’t do male intimate!)
I would have all your advertising, then in a corner “treatments are available to ladies only”.

Vic x

You can just simply say that you are a ladies only salon... have something like Sorry guys but I am a ladies only salon. As squidgernetball has said there is nothing sexist about it.

It's worth having contact numbers of other therapists you know so you can refer men on to them. That way you're not just saying a flat no xx

It's worth having contact numbers of other therapists you know so you can refer men on to them. That way you're not just saying a flat no xx

Good point..

Lots of home-based female massage therapists in my area state 'ladies only.' I see nothing wrong with it.

Hi all,

Without being sexist, how do I state that my salon is ladies only, mainly for massage treatments. I work from home and I just don’t feel comfortable performing massage there on a male who I don’t know. I don’t want to come across rude!

Obviously how you run your salon is entirely up to you and I, for one, would not wish you to do anything that would make you feel uncomfortable. I also entirely understand that inviting unknown men into your home, even with sensible precautions such as a panic button, might well be a risk you do not wish to take, and I would fully support that as well. I am afraid, however, that the uncomfortable truth is that the definition of sexism is prejudice and discrimination based on a person's gender.

Intimate waxing is quite a different matter but for massage, as I see it, you cannot discriminate on the basis of sex (which is unquestionably what you are doing) without being sexist.

I'm not so sure the Sexual Discrimination Act is enforceable in this case. There is just as much 'discrimination' for the therapist (in making them massage someone they are uncomfortable to touch) and the client (in being refused). I vaguely remember this being discussed before and that they cancel each other out so it cannot be enforced. There is also the perspective that who would want to be massaged by someone who is uncomfortable doing it, so most people (male or female) would prefer to know their potential therapist is comfortable with them.

Maybe try contacting the BABTEC or your insurance company for some clarification.

You absolutely can discriminate if you can justify it. You will not get into trouble and although you can be challenged, it's absolutely acceptable to say that as a lone woman working, you're not happy having men in your premises. I would absolutely not expect a member of my staff to treat men alone from the salon, and I specifically stated that when I worked alone, I didn't take male clients.

If you check the Sexual Discrimination website, you'll see that refusing to treat males is perfectly acceptable if it can be justified - I quote:
"There are several situations in which an organisation can lawfully provide single sex services. In all circumstances they must be able to justify it."

Vic x

I completely agree with Vic. I was not trying to suggest otherwise, never mentioned the Sexual Discrimination Act and think that having a female only salon is perfictly justifiable. My point was simply that if you are going to discriminate on the basis of sex then by definition that is sexist and there is no way to dress it up any other way.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice everyone. I have worked in many salons and spas and always have performed massage on male clients, it just doesn’t sit comfortably with me doing this in my home, especially now I work alone. I am sure whatever I state someone will say something!

Latest posts

Back