Festive working hours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautyxperts

Reaction score
So this year Ive decided to cut back on Xmas week working hours at my salon, mainly as I'm working alone for the first 3 days with my p/t team member in on Xmas eve. The last several years I've over worked myself and then been ill over Xmas & new year! I don't want to let regular clients down by not been able to fit them all in so I've added the extra Monday in but will be finishing earlier (5pm) and not offering late night appointments this week, so far it's working out but I have a feeling I cave and add extra hours in.
Has anyone else felt the same or been in a similar position? X

We stopped working Christmas eve about 2 years ago after 4 no shows on Christmas eve the year before. I love Christmas with a passion and we will be working til at least 8 on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then traditionally I go out on Christmas eve at about 7.30 in the morning, have a full English and do all my Christmas shopping although I'm aiming to do a load online this year x

We stopped working Christmas eve about 2 years ago after 4 no shows on Christmas eve the year before. I love Christmas with a passion and we will be working til at least 8 on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then traditionally I go out on Christmas eve at about 7.30 in the morning, have a full English and do all my Christmas shopping although I'm aiming to do a load online this year x
I normally do similar Christmas Eve! can't beat a full English and bit of shopping then I'm normally in the pub from midday with friends ;)

I've added an extra Wednesday to my working week the 2 weeks before Xmas it's going to be a long hard slog from now until Xmas but it'll be worth it financially, every year I have a breakdown at some point around Xmas because I'm physically & emotionally exhausted, this year I plan to have my family's Xmas pressies sorted by the first week of December so I've not got that to worry about too! I really struggled to shop last year, I'm having the whole week off after Xmas tho :) I'm looking forward to spending the whole week in my jamas watching Xmas movies with my little ones :) I'm already booked up to 3pm on Xmas eve :( so I won't be having a yummy breakfast :(

After reading a fab post on here a few years ago I have cut right back with Xmas appointments over the past couple of years.

This year I am working Monday-Friday on the 14-18th then the Monday 21st... I will be doing long 12 hour days in the first week but then I'm done, no more nails!! I am already fully booked and have been really organised and strict with myself.

...but, it's time to spend it with my son and my family, to avoid temptation I have booked a family day out on the 22nd, my hair and other pampering on the 23rd and the 24th (after 1 hour of spray tanning) we're going on a winter walk close by and seeing Santa....

I absolutely can't wait! :D

There's no point earning a wage if you don't get the pleasure of enjoying it and for me Christmas is the best time of year to be making lovely memories... Ho ho ho!!

This sounds fantastic! I may try this next year [emoji4]

I'm fully booked 22nd, 23rd & 24th now - although I decided to finish at 2pm Xmas eve which is a first! I too have younger children (10 & 14) and love Xmas myself as it is a family time of year. I don't feel too bad now - just jealous of your full English breakie!
The other thing is my salon will be closed after 31st until 12th Jan for a refit so I'm stressing about this too! [emoji33] x

I'm a sucker just booked to finish Xmas eve 3pm now lol [emoji85] [emoji319]

This is my first Xmas eve off too! Can't wait! I have a 1 year old so I don't want to miss anything. If people can't get in then they will know to be more organised next year. Plus it's not a bad thing been fully booked eh :) x

I only do evening and weekends cause I work full time too, I've took Saturday the 19th off because I want everything done that day then working from 10am all day Sunday the 20th then so far 510-730 Monday 21st, 22nd 520-8 and 23rd 520-8
I don't want to take any more night appointments as I start my day job at 8am and would rather do any more on the Sunday! Then off till the 30th and straight off the plane from Amsterdam in to do tans till late then off till the 5th!! Xx

I'm finishing at 2pm Xmas Eve, I have done every year since opening the salon. I did have a client ring up and ask to book herself and mother in for around 6pm, I said it was a half day and she replied "Xmas Eve is a Thursday, that's your late night opening!". I am then back in on 29th with a 2pm finish on New Years Eve.

I tend to have a holiday in January so which when it's manic in December it's really nice to have something to look forward to.

I take a 50% deposit on all bkgs made for december and i no longer work xmas eve/new years eve, this year i am being strict and sticking to my guns with this, along side this i am running a fabulous online campaign ti make up for those hours im not physically there [emoji4] #worktolive

My first Christmas, and I'm starting as I mean to go on. So I'm working 21st and 22nd both days until 7pm, then off, back on 30th for one day only, then off again until the start of the next working week.

All of my waxing clients are fine with this and are all booked in, and 30th is just spray tanning all day.

I've had one lady who messaged me in October to ask if she could book in for a wax on 30th December. She's never ever been to me before and doesn't plan on coming to me at all before then, but was most put out when I explained that all I was doing was spray tanning that day (I work from one room so have to put my bed away, set the tan tent up, etc).

This is particularly true at Christmas especially for those with families :)

Attachments

• 1447417530860.jpg
    1447417530860.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 56
Very true @Emily S. I'm having time off for a few days in the weeks before Christmas but knowing that Christmas will be busy I'm gearing up for long days then x

Completely agree Christmas is really important, it's lovely to spend time with family and just make work work around you!!

This is my third christmas now and I'm being for more strict this year. I've realised I've missed a lot of family time during the festive season and during the rest of the year because I'm bending over backward for some. I'm booking in one client the morning of Christmas Eve at 8, she is a regular and being as she was a little late to confirm her bookings this year I've mad an exception for her. I have a 4 year old and now that my business is almost established I am going to start using the benefits of being self employed. I ham then working the 30th to do tans and the morning of New Year's Eve for nails/lashes etc. every other year I have worked until 5 Xmas Eve, then have worked Boxing Day and all other days until New Year's Day. The only year I didn't do this was when I got married and I took two days off, my wedding day and the day after. It was extremely stressful and I started getting demands that I work Christmas Eve evening and believe it or not CHRISTMAS DAY!
This year I am finally looking forward to Christmas and after working every day and evening Monday to Friday through December until 10pm I think I deserve the break lol. X

I'm glad most feel the same about Xmas - I'm not going to feel bad now when I tell clients my opening hours - you've all given me something to think about next year. X

Hey guys can I bump this and ask how it went not working Xmas Eve? I opened my salon in Feb, but was renting a chair last year and I too had lots of no shows last year so I'm contemplating it......

Also I was hoping to take the week off in-between Xmas and new year as I wasn't busy last year. We have 2 weddings on New year's too which would work well.
However I have a self employed nail tech working with me, I dictate salon open hours which was made clear when she came on board... so can I say we close that week ?

X

Hey guys can I bump this and ask how it went not working Xmas Eve? I opened my salon in Feb, but was renting a chair last year and I too had lots of no shows last year so I'm contemplating it......

Also I was hoping to take the week off in-between Xmas and new year as I wasn't busy last year. We have 2 weddings on New year's too which would work well.
However I have a self employed nail tech working with me, I dictate salon open hours which was made clear when she came on board... so can I say we close that week ?

X
If she is self employed, she can work whenever she pleases. If she agreed to closing you could not charge her for that week.

Latest posts

Back