fibreglass/silk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdnails

Reaction score
Hi Every1

Just started using fibreglass & silk, but having probs with both.
Using the edge system i tried the fibreglass 1st but found u could just still c the mesh through. So i tried silk as i was told that it disappears more easily.
I put a set on a friend on Friday they looked great was really please with them, but got the dreaded txt that night saying shed lost 1. When i saw them the tip had come clean off & her thumb nail had a crack straight across the tip. I repaired both & she went happily on her way. Ive had another look at them 2nite & there seems 2 b a few hair line cracks in some of them.
Can any1 shed any light on why this is happening 4 me.
Any help will b greatly appreciated.
Thanks j x

Hi

What brand do you use?? They all vary tremendously!!

Some quick suggestions: don't have them too long, this system is not the strongest and is best on shorter nails; build up the strength with more coats of the resin; activate slowly as a fast activation can cause a brittle overlay (hairline cracks maybe?); try again with fibreglass and use the adhesive to 'wet' the fibre before using the resin.
Don't give up on the system.
Marian

jdnails said:
Hi Every1

Just started using fibreglass & silk, but having probs with both.
Using the edge system i tried the fibreglass 1st but found u could just still c the mesh through. So i tried silk as i was told that it disappears more easily.
I put a set on a friend on Friday they looked great was really please with them, but got the dreaded txt that night saying shed lost 1. When i saw them the tip had come clean off & her thumb nail had a crack straight across the tip. I repaired both & she went happily on her way. Ive had another look at them 2nite & there seems 2 b a few hair line cracks in some of them.
Can any1 shed any light on why this is happening 4 me.
Any help will b greatly appreciated.
Thanks j x
Hi ya J,
This might help a little..................
Try placing a stress strip on the stress area, then apply the full strip to the nail.
To find a clients stress area, press on the free edge of the nail,(before tip application) their stress area will show up white.............A tip Gigi gave us a while back and it works with all systems............"press for stress and success quote"
Apply your first resin coating slowly, so the mesh can absorb the resin...............
Don't activate on the first wetting
Do all ten fingers in sequence,then resin them all again and activate ones they have all been coated..........
Get the client to do the dead spider motion, you know, pams up and fingers curled towards the palm.
Spray activator ones in a sweeping motion across both hands, that should be enough to cure the resin................
Check on the finished length, shorten it if necessary, depending on clients lifestyle and activity level..............
Then finish the nails as usual...............
Also
Solar oil is brill for Fibreglass and Silk enhancements......keeps the resin more supple.....

There are some tutorials on the premium geek section for Fabric#, might be worth your while checking these out.
HTH

Thanks girls 4 ur advice,

Her nails were short as she carnt handle them long.
She has been known to be quite heavy handed in the passed, so i think i should have stressed striped them like youve suggested.
I also wondered, because its a brush on resin then activate at the end if i should have let each coat of resin dry slightly more before applying the next coat. Could this have caused the hairline cracks.
Thanks j x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back