Fibreglass/silk

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdnails

Reaction score
Hi every1

Still having problems, i use the edge system which is a brush on resin, fabric + activator. After prep, tip + blending i apply 1 coat of resin, then apply the fabric, fibreglass or silk then 2/3 more coats of resin, then activate.
My problem is i can still faintly see the fabric after buffing & get slight pitting.
Made sure i dont touch the fabric with my fingers + i dont hold the activator to close. Dont know what else to try. Any advice would be greatly received.
Thanks j x :)

jdnails said:
Hi every1

Still having problems, i use the edge system which is a brush on resin, fabric + activator. After prep, tip + blending i apply 1 coat of resin, then apply the fabric, fibreglass or silk then 2/3 more coats of resin, then activate.
My problem is i can still faintly see the fabric after buffing & get slight pitting.
Made sure i dont touch the fabric with my fingers + i dont hold the activator to close. Dont know what else to try. Any advice would be greatly received.
Hi I have used Stars Fibreglass and now Fabric, sometimes you can see the fibreglass/silk but only ever so slightly and really underscrutiny..

However when I apply wrapped nails I apply 5 very thin layers of resin, which probably masks the wrap better than 2/3 coats - on the pitting I can only think that this happens because it has not cured yet... Ruth's of Nails One London will be better helping on this but maybe this is food for thought in the meantime... atb Louise

Come on Ruthie babe, fibreglass queen, we need your help! :)

I have used and trained with The Edge range for 5 years and this has not happened to me (yet!!!!!!). Sounds like you are doing things how Alida suggest. ???

jdnails said:
Hi every1

Hi babe, now I am not familiar with the edge system........
Is it spray or brush on activator ???

After you have tipped, blended and resined the nail, dont activate this........
Let the resin air cure, as this can prevent the fibreglass/Silk to absorb the resin before it starts to cure........hence the material showing through

When this coating of resin is dry apply your chosen material........
Resin this ones and let it air dry again..........

Then after all 10 fingers have been coated with the resin apply another layer of resin and activate this...........
If you are using spray activator, get the client to turn their hand palm up and fingers curled inwards..........Dead spider movement.........
A light spray in one sweeping move all fingers at the same time........The resin will be like a magnet and draw the activator towards it..............
If you are using brush on activator, apply resin and brush out with the activator one finger at the time.

Tidy up the edges and buff the nail lightly, this will stop your resin brush from picking up residual activator and will prevent brush clogging and making your brush on resin thick and gloopy. Making sure you dont go through to the material so a light hand is needed.......240 plus grit buffer/file

Resin again and activate with either method............then when the coating is nice and even finish the nail in the usual way..........

The idea is to coat the fibreglass/silk with thin and even coats, building up strenght and a smooth finish this way.......
3-4 thin coats are better then 2 thick ones..........

Pitting is usualy caused by......
To much activator on a thick layer of resin, the droplets will sink in the thicker resin layer and it will cure uneven.......hence giving a pitted look.....sometimes even little white spots too................

Also make sure that the spray activator dispenses a fine mist, and not huge droplets..................i have had lots of problems in the past with spray bottles, rather then spraying in light mist they sprayed like a water pistol.........
So check this too

HTH

I agree with everything Ruth says. The secret to invisible fibreglass is air dry the first resin layer that sits on top of the fibreglass. Apply another thin layer of resin on all nails and then activate. Tidy the edges and follow with another two thin layers of resin taking it over the free edge to form a seal (activate each layer) - minimal buffing required!!

I use spray activator and it is really important, as Ruth says, to have a fine mist and not a water pistol.

Cheers ruth, you are a diamond, must meet up with you, i think we could chat forever!

Thanks every1

I have noticed now & again i can c tiny white spots & occasionally the spray activator is more water pistol than fine mist.
I put brush on resin on all 10 fingers, then the fabric, then about 3 coats of resin, then spray activate, shape free edge, white block the surface & buff.
Dont think i air cured the resin 4 long enough b4 the final coats of resin.
I can only faintly c the fabric through but hopefully now with ur great advise
ill have cured that.
Really do appreciate all ur help & advice, cheers girls.
THANKS J X :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back