Fiction or truth about Collagen

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDs

Curly Hair Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I hesitate to ask this question but didn't find an answer in the search engines.

I read that our bodies do not reproduce collagen, so as we get older and start losing collagen, that we must get it by vits or external creams, lotions and potions.

Truth or myth?

Is it even possible to regain collagen to reduce wrinkles?

OH! and to save posting another question;
What actually causes dark circles under the eyes and is it possible to get rid of them completely?

Where did you read this information, not one of those highly informative glossy mags, was it?:lol:

The body reproduces collagen just fine on its own, but this process slows gradually with age, hence why skin (especially female skin) tends too lose that 'plumped out' look as we hit our mid-late twenties.

UVA/UVB damage contributes greatly to the breakdown of collagen, so if you want to protect your existing collagen resources, be sensible with your sun exposure.

Vitamin C has been shown to boost collagen production significantly, so plenty of enriched fruit & veg is handy. In fact, although Vitamin C is the main nutrient linked with collagen, an all-round balanced and healthy diet is your best bet.

Topical creams whose manufacturers claim deliver collagen into the skin are talking baloney pseudo-science. A lot of skincare companies do, I am ashamed to say. Our skin is there to protect us, so possesses a very low permeability....in other words - it's pretty picky about what it lets through. Collagen molecules dont get through. They are too big.

In answer to your second qustion: persistent dark circles that don't subside even after you up your water intake/get a good night's sleep/start using or switch eye creams can be due to iron deficiency. Do remember, though, that the skin around the eye is thinner and delicate, and is always prone to a slight blue-ish hue. Try a combination of peach colour corrector and a sparingly applied reflective concealer (like Touch Eclat) to banish them (but not for good, just 'til you take your makeup off).

hth

Where did you read this information, not one of those highly informative glossy mags, was it?:lol:

The body reproduces collagen just fine on its own, but this process slows gradually with age, hence why skin (especially female skin) tends too lose that 'plumped out' look as we hit our mid-late twenties.

UVA/UVB damage contributes greatly to the breakdown of collagen, so if you want to protect your existing collagen resources, be sensible with your sun exposure.

Vitamin C has been shown to boost collagen production significantly, so plenty of enriched fruit & veg is handy. In fact, although Vitamin C is the main nutrient linked with collagen, an all-round balanced and healthy diet is your best bet.

Topical creams whose manufacturers claim deliver collagen into the skin are talking baloney pseudo-science. A lot of skincare companies do, I am ashamed to say. Our skin is there to protect us, so possesses a very low permeability....in other words - it's pretty picky about what it lets through. Collagen molecules dont get through. They are too big.

In answer to your second qustion: persistent dark circles that don't subside even after you up your water intake/get a good night's sleep/start using or switch eye creams can be due to iron deficiency. Do remember, though, that the skin around the eye is thinner and delicate, and is always prone to a slight blue-ish hue. Try a combination of peach colour corrector and a sparingly applied reflective concealer (like Touch Eclat) to banish them (but not for good, just 'til you take your makeup off).

hth

Fantastic advice as always Amy:hug:

Well put, Amy

thank you Amy. You gave me the answers I was looking for and more.

I read that info in my Natural Magazine. They state that once you start to lose collagen that your body does not reproduce it and that is why you must take vits and use lotions to replace it.

So the wrinkles under my eyes are not going to go away anytime soon are they....:cry:

Latest posts

Back