File Control!! Part 1 - Getting a Grip

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
File control !! Part 1 - Getting a Grip.

So many people on the Nail Geek site mention blending tips as though it is some horrible task that they will take many steps to avoid if possible. But there are times we all need to do it.

I got to thinking that this must only be the case because some are finding it hard to do and/or it is taking you so much time.

We've already said that blending in a tip without causing any nail damage is a skill and all can learn it. But if tip blending is taking you allot of time, there can only be one or two reasons:

1. You are using tips that are difficult to blend (some are very easy) or,
2. You are not filing efficiently so it is taking allot of time.

Buying good quality tips is the easy bit.

Using your file efficiently will take a change of grip, and perseverance until the new process feels comfortable ( it does feel weird for a few days until you have mastered it). Here is the tip that a teacher of mine (bless her) passed on to me many years ago and I in turn have passed it on to many others. Now I will share it with you.

Most nail technicians do not hold their abrasives correctly for the job they want to do. Most hold the abrasive with their thumb on the top and their fingers underneath and file that way for most jobs. We tend to change the grip for doing the sidewalls and shaping. But 90% of the jobs we do are done with the grip described above.

When I want to do a job and get it over with as quickly as possible (blending tips and removing product) with the minimum amount of effort and the maximum amount of efficiency, I hold it this way:

Grab hold of the abrasive as if you were shaking hands with it. Then extend only your index finger out and onto the abrasive. Then lifting your elbow and placing the abrasive onto the product (still holding it the same way) start to do your work with your finger over the area you are filing. This way the maximum pressure is under your finger where you want it to be and this in turn removes the product faster and gives you more control and reduces the chance of causing a burning sensation because there is no air trapped under the abrasive. Remember the girl guides ... air plus friction = fire (ouch!)

Holding the abrasive in the old way with thumb on the top, gives too light a pressure which takes too long, gives you less control so that it is easier to damage the natural nail, traps air between the abrasive and the product which in turn causes a heat sensation, and bends and kinks wrecks your abrasives.

5 good reasons for learning to hold your abrasive in a different way for those times when there is a 'job of work' to be done. Enjoy learning something 'new'.

Last edited:
thanks for that ! only to day i was thinking i am damaging my files ! i tend to hold the file like i am hitching a lift, with my thumb aplying the presher ! (and get told off for it !!!! lol) but i will give this a go to morrow !

It would never dawn on me to hold a file in a differant way to maximize your filing time. A great example of thinking outside of the box. I enjoy all of your tutorials. Thanks so much

This is a great tutorial, I've been taught to hold the file different, but when I practiced at home I naturally started to hold the file in the way described here! It makes sense and there's no damage to the natural nail plate, unlike the somewhat hit and miss obtained holding the file in the way I was taught.

I'm so glad I've found this site and have printed out some of the tutorials.

A big thanks!!

Thanks for this tutorial. I kept kinking my files and questioning what I was doing wrong!! thankyou for taking the time and sharing your experience with us :hug:

A brill tutorial, & if you like this one, I can really recommend Geegs 'Nailclass'!

Thankyou for this! Just what i need to learn. I waste too much time filing, and i never was a girl guide! As soon as i read 'air & friction', it clicked. Feel a bit stupid really, we all know that! Now i get it, duh.

great tutorial

Whoopee The most brilliant article ever!!!!!! I've got my Nail tech's exam 4th July and need to get my times down. I like to do me best an all that but It seems I take too long to blend me tips ooer, so I'ma gonna go an try this ASAP you're a life saver THANX

Hi Geeg,
Thanks for this tutorial, but I was hoping, if its not too much trouble, you could supply a picture of the correct file grip against a clients nail, just for good measure.
Cheers!

Hi! Thanks for the information. My thumb cramps so much when I file and it takes forever. I'm going to try this. :green:

Hi
Just started my acrylic course today with OPI and we focussed on blending tips. I found it difficult to find the right way to hold the abrasive. Your instructions were brilliant but I just find it difficult to visualise your technique of holding the abrasive - is there any chance of a photo/diagram?

many thanks

Is there any pictures available which shows this way of holding the file, It doesnt seem right for me when I have tried to do it.

Is there any pictures available which shows this way of holding the file, It doesnt seem right for me when I have tried to do it.

Oh good am not the only one I need a picture too please.

I've tried to hold my file this way too and I really don't think I'm doing it right. A picture would really help me too.
Posted via Mobile Device

As you know I am a student, and I have learnt alot from this site, espacially from you. I can get a full set of very nice thin and natural looking nails done in less than 2hrs and I have had 2 official nail classes in my course. Refills on the other hand can take me an obscenely amount of time and clients do not appreciate this of course. I am here on a Sunday morning trying to improve my methods and I come across this tutorial, and so many more!!!! So I just wanted to say Thank you, between you and Mely-Bely I am so much better than I should be!!!!:)

Latest posts

Back