File Control!! Part 2 - Thinning and Blending Tips.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
File Control!! Part 2

Now that you've got a grip on the new filing technique (pun). I thought it might be a good idea to move on to the method of actually thinning and blending a tip so that the job is made as quick and easy as possible with no nail plate damage.

First of all, why do we blend and thin tips anyway? Clearly some just cut out the well of the tip, adhere it to the plate and apply product to it. So why do the work if it isn't needed?? Well the work is needed for several reasons.

1. Sometimes for the sake of beauty it is necessary to blend a tip.
2. Always it is necessary to thin out a tip for the sake of strength.
Those that do not do this will have clients with more breakages than those who do.
Those that do not do this will have free edges that look wide and bulky; also known as 'Egyptian Hats' (a phrase coined by Jan Nordstrom-Arnold many moons ago).

Those who use tips, (some all of the time, and some only when they feel sculpting is not an option) should be trying to get as close to a sculpted nail as possible. To do this, it is necessary to blend away the tip well area (for clarity) and to thin the rest of the tip (for strength).
The product is always stronger than a tip so thinning out the tip is important so that the most product can go on top of the tip and still have it look thin and beautiful. In other words, you are only using your tip as a foundation or a 'canvas' for the product to cling to.

The following is the method for thinning and blending a tip in the most efficient way possible using the grip taught in part 1. I use a 180 x 240 abrasive for this job.

Most technicians start to blend a tip at the well area!!! Here's a better idea!

It is more efficient to start thinning the tip at the free edge and then move back towards the well area which is blended LAST.
Why?
Because it is the safest way to ensure that absolutely no nail plate damage is caused and it is quicker. Anything safe that makes filing quicker is worth doing as filing is SO boring!

Think it through!

If you start to thin at the free edge, you are going to progressively thin the tip and eventually the well area as you move towards it!!
By the time you get there (to the well area) you will already have gone a long way toward getting the work done in that area, as the abrasive moves up and down while you work. The good thing is you will not have even touched the natural nail plate during the process and most of the work will be done.
Once you actually reach the well area, slow down, switch to the smooth side of the abrasive and Take great care during the last few moments (while you blend the last bit away) that your abrasive stays on the well area of the tip and does not touch the plate.

Using this technique is quick, efficient, and it only takes a little thought and a responsible attitude toward the health of your clients' natural nails to do a good safe job.

Last edited:
Thankyou soooooooo much for that Gigi,your a star,,,,,,,i start blending at the well area but hey not anymore,what a difference!!! x :)

thank you that really helped me with my blending - infact, all your tips are fantastic I can't thank you enough.

Hi dont really know wether im on the site correctly?

I find it sooo helpful as i am only just starting out i have done man/ped course plus make up & recently doing my nail enhancment course(gel) & ive just read the thread for thinnining & blending which i found very helpful im only on practising satge & about to do my exam on the 29th July (very nervous) hoping to go mobile by september would relly appreciate any help?

Nails 4 U

Thanks for this tip, I was taught to belnd by lifting the colour from the well area first with a cotton bud and a touch of acetone then file after down to the tip, is this ok, have I been told the wrong thing?

I would also like to know this, as I have been taught in the same way.

The use of tip blender/acetone is not an aceptable method of blending in a tip. It not only breaks down and ages the product, but is an overexposure risk to the client. Even using a tip blender involves some filing and often the damage done to the natural nail from fileing through the tip is horrendous.

Learn how to blend skillfully ... yes, the college has taught you an incorrect and an unsafe method of tip blending.

Only just read this thread as new to the site. I too was taught to blend with neat acetone at college. I've learnt more by being on this site in the last week or so than a year at college it seems....

Thanks a million xxx

Im new to this site too, n even tho I finished college 2 years ago i feel like i am getting more info from here than i did at college its great i not left the computer for 3 days not even to do my own nails which badly need done!

BABSann said:
:o
icon_rolleyes.gif
hi,am new to all this and I know sound 100%geek but my problem is that when I do full set using clear L&P over tips I always have a ghost shadow.Which is not goooood. I'm a beauty therapist in salon and although I am Diploma qualified in nails we dont really have many clients for extensions.I love doing nails and do practice as much as poss, giving freebies 2 my friends etc, but I probably only do one set a week in our salon.I would really appreciate advice.

hiya...if you need any help hun post a new thread in the main forum and everyone will help you where they can...they wont see it here, may get missed. HTH xx:biggrin:

BABSann said:
HTH have just found your message here and cant see how to post thread in main forum.Could you help me pleeeeze.

Hiya xx

Go to main forum for nails or chat for non nail topics...then at the top on the left hand side is a blue box thing that says NEW THREAD...click this and away you go....xxx

Ah! thanks for the tutorial! iT Makes perfect sense LU x

It's amazing just how many of us have been taught to use acetone to blend!
I've had nothing but trouble with tips breaking off.....now i know why.:rolleyes:

Thanks so much geeg, so so helpful.

Gigi - could you confirm that when filing the well area you should work from the tip back - towards the nail plate, and not the other way round?

If i'm doing this wrong then oh blimy charley! I always thin the tip then work backwards with the file in contact with the tip/well lifting off as I approach the nailplate - I'm sure this is how I was taught by creative!!!!!!

I'm a bit confused because I am currently doing a vctc certificate at college and the tutor demonstrated blending tips backwards - from nailplate onto well area - it doesnt seem right to me! The other students are all beginners by the way so they dont know any different.

Sorry to ask such a basic question but when you work on your own you sometimes question your skills and wonder if you've created your own bad habits.
Thanx for your help

The way I recommend is to work starting at the Free Edge and working towards the contact area (or well) of the tip.
As always there are many ways to do things but I find that working as described, there is much less chance of filing the nail plate and doing damage. Another plus to working this way is that by the time you have reached the well area of the tip, most of your work has been done in that area already because of the abrasive action catching that area as you work towards it. HTH

Excellent Geeg, but I have to admit that at college we were taught to thin down with acetone before blending, and not to blend in the way you described. Your way makes much more sense I really must try it. Joan

great advice will start to put this into practice .. love these tutorials thanks a million..

|fantastic, thanks, i will go away and practise..what would we all do without your tutorials:hug:

geeg,

do you do this with white tips or just clear. I was also taught to use acetone to blend in clear tips (which i now know is wrong) and to apply the product without blending for white tips.

xxxxxxxxx

Thanks that was a GREAT help! will defo be doing it that way from now on!!

Latest posts

Back