File Control!! Part 2

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Now that you've got a grip on the new filing technique (pun). I thought it might be a good idea to move on to the method of actually blending and thinning a tip so that the job is made as quick and easy as possible with no nail plate damage.

First of all, why do we blend and thin tips anyway. Clearly some just cut out the well of the tip, adhere it to the plate and apply product to it. So why do the work if it isn't needed?? Well the work is needed for several reasons.

1. Sometimes for the sake of beauty it is necessary to blend a tip.
2. Always it is necessary to thin out a tip for the sake of strength. Those that do not do this will have clients with more breakages than those who do.

Those who use tips, (some all of the time, and some only when they feel sculpting is not an option) should be trying to get as close to a sculpted nail as possible. To do this, it is necessary to blend away the tip well area (for clarity) and to thin the rest of the tip (for strength). The product is stronger than a tip so thinning is important so that the most product can go on top of the tip and still have it look thin and beautiful. In other words, you are only using your tip as a foundation or a 'canvas' for the product to cling to.

The following is the method for thinning and blending a tip in the most efficient way possible using the grip taught in part 1.

Most technicians start to blend a tip at the well area.

It is more efficient to start thinning the tip at the free edge and then move back towards the well area LAST.
Why?
Because it is the safest way to ensure that absolutely no nail plate damage is caused.

Think it through!

If you start to thin at the free edge, you are going to progressively thin the tip and eventually the well area as you move towards it!!
By the time you get there (to the well area) you will already have gone a long way toward getting the work done in that area as the abrasive moves up and down while you work. The good thing is you will not have even touched the natural nail plate and most of the work will be done.
Once you actually reach the well area, slow down, switch to the smooth side of the abrasive and Take great care during the last few moments, while you blend the last bit away, that your abrasive stays on the well area of the tip and does not touch the plate.

Using this technique is quick, efficient, and ensures the health of the natural nails of your clients.

Aaahh.......... thats another thing ive been doing, blending from the well to the free edge, I will try it the other way round and see how i get on. Its amazing how one little technique can make so much difference! thanks Gigi, this has really helped x

I would have never thought of blending the other way round, I will definitely give that a go.

Recently I have been sculpting my own nails because I hate putting tips on my right hand it seems to take so long to blend delicately as I have less control filing with my left hand, hopefully this technique will help me.

Thanks for the advice it is always appreciated.

Lisa
xxxxxx

Geeg, thank you so much for this and the last tutuorial, I have been practising the application of tips and blending on myself. The technique you have shared with us has taken my timing down and also I havent touched my nail plate once. Thank you again. Just keep em coming.....

Love David

Geeg

What grit file would you suggest to thin the tip out from free edge? I assume it would be 240 when near the natural nail.

Deb379

Deb379 said:
Geeg

What grit file would you suggest to thin the tip out from free edge? I assume it would be 240 when near the natural nail.

Deb379
I always use a 180x240 grit abrasive for doing the big jobs. I only use very few files and buffers.

Brilliant tutorial Geeg .... Thanks :)
I have never thinned a tip before .. so I shall start ... the correct way :)
Jo xx

yet again geeg. Thank you so much for taking the time out to help us all to make us into much better technicians!

It makes perfect sence to blend from the tip up-wards (why oh why have i never thought of it it seems obvious now!)

Just thinking of all the advice that you and others give on this site, I think that we should have annual awards, only silly things where people nominate geeks for different things and we can all vote. Then the winner's could have a list of their on-line 'Geekies' (get it like the emmies!!! Sad i know!) in their signature.

like, best over all advice
best tutorial (for the premiums)
most creative
best nail art
best newbie (like a acheiver award)

even some for just general things for fun, like, most talkative, worst speller (ME!!), funniest jokes etc!
(nothing to do with thread but it kinda popped in my head had to get out quick)

Wow, I suppose i could get the award for most poop spoken on line!

Brilliant tutorial !
I love reading your tutorials, keep them coming.

Latest posts

Back