File control!! Part 3 - Perfect Finishing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
File control!! Part 3 - Perfect Finishing

Have you ever noticed on some of the advertisements in the nail magazines that the nails look (shall we say) far from perfect examples of a beautifully finished nail enhancement?
How can you tell?
Usually the light shining in the photo on the nails looks all wobbly or patchy which shows up all the flaws on the surface. Or the outline of the nail (what I call the form) is not pleasing to the eye. Or the shape (the view from the side) has apexes all over the place!

On the other hand, we all remember those images in the advertisements of beautiful sleek gorgeous shiny nail enhancements done by (shall we say) technicians who really know what they are doing.
How can you tell?
The light shining on the nail surface in the image is consistent in width and straight as an arrow and there are no flaws on the surface to mar its beauty. The form is perfect (beautiful straight side walls) and the shape is a natural and gentle curve with the apex in the right place.

If you are not happy that you are getting a perfect finish to your nail enhancements, then use this valuable tool (what we call the line of light) to help you achieve the ultimate flawless result you want.

But first, before you use the 'line of light' to guide you, you need to finish off the enhancement nearly all the way before you look, and your finishing will be easier still if you stick to the rule of trying to make the perfect nail with your brush and not rely on your file to do it for you; better for the life of the enhancement, better for the natural nail, and better for you because as we have said before ... filing is boring!! Both for you and your clients.

For the purpose of this tutorial, we are going to assume that you have not made the perfect nail with your brush. The reason being that I want to go through all the steps of perfect finishing and what each step achieves for you so that you will know why you are doing it.

So we are looking at the unfinished nail enhancement. And we are going to make a soft square shape.

The first thing I correct is the Form (the outline). Using a medium soft abrasive (I use a 240 grit), make sure that your sidewalls are absolutely straight (no bulges at the waist and no free edges that look wide and unattractive). :eek:
File gently up and down each side of the nail, keeping the abrasive trapped gently by your thumb on one side or by your index finger on the other, to make sure the abrasive does not deviate from the straight line at all. It is a common fault for right-handed people to pull the abrasive across to the right when doing the left side of the nail (the opposite for lefties); this tends to round off one side of the enhancement whilst the other stays nice and straight. Very annoying and difficult to correct once you have done it without making he nail shorter which could annoy a client who wants them long. :evil:

Next shape your free edge into a gentle curve and from underneath just angle the abrasive to remove any harsh corners.

My next move is to lay the abrasive flat onto zone 3 of the nail and gently blend any excess product right away into the nail so that it is impossible to see where the enhancement actually joins the natural nail. This job done, you will have no need to go to zone 3 or the sidewalls again ... which is a good thing because now you can concentrate on the business of making that shape perfect and there will be no need to go near any soft tissue because the fiddly bits are done.

Now, The 3 paths to success!
Looking at the whole enhancement held with my fingers, I mentally divide the nail into 3 vertical paths. One down the middle and one down each side.
The perfect shape is achieved by looking at the side view of the nail first and seeing where, if any, corrections need to be made with my abrasive to make the side view perfect.
Don't worry about the side paths yet, just concentrate on the curvature of the nail. Then using the same medium soft abrasive, and working in an east to west direction, start at the north end of the nail and work south putting more pressure on the abrasive where you want to remove any undesirable lumps or bumps. Keep going up and down until when you look from the side, and see that the curvature is how you want it to be. Once it is, then you can concentrate on the sides.

Next move is to go to each side in turn and working from the side to the middle, in one direction, bring the sides up to your middle path and the curve you have created there. You must work with your abrasive in a nice curvey motion as if you were filing the surface of an egg. This will give your enhancement a really natural C curve.

Now for the line of light!
Apply some solar oil and rub into the surface of the enhancement. Now check under your light and see what the line of light is telling you, as you slowly rotate the finger to see the light play over the surface.

You should be looking for a even width all the way along the light line.
If it widens ... you have a flat spot.
If it narrows ... you have a facet.
If it wiggles ... you have a dip or a high spot.
Make any necessary adjustments with your abrasive and check again.
Finally finish off to a high gloss shine. Your soft buffers will not change the surface other than to make it gleam and reflect your fine workmanship.

Last edited:
Great thread and very informative, although I was just wondering geeg. Have you ever done any steps by steps?
I dont re-call ever seeing anything.
I have found your advice useful and understand and accept your points. I was just dont recall ever seeing your work

All the Creative step by steps for the magazines used to be done by me ... I am supposed to be retired now!! Look at my gallery and you will see the fabric# step by step, the MTW step by step and the Ruby red slipper step by step and the latest Creative add campain for the Solar products that I just did in London.

Brilliant thread which has been invaluable to me, along with all the other tutorials. I print the tutorias off and keep them on file for reference purposes. Thanks Gigi!

Hi Geeg do you have a link where i could have a look at nails you have done for the above tutorial? Its soo much better for me to look at pics aswell as your advice so i can get a peffect idea of what it should look like. Its kinda like reading a recipe in a cook book with no pictures!!

your help would be appreciated
thanks

Look in my gallery here on the site and you can see many images of nails I have done for step by steps and adverts for the mags.

Very informative, I copy this to my hard drive and use as a reference. I always have problem with filing. Im good in my smile line, sculpturing but filing is hard for me. I hate filing esp. if I cant do it properly. I know if I've done something wrong but sometimes I just let it go. Thanks Gigi

Are you THE Gigi Rouse?? Oh my word, Im a newie to this board and I visited Creative in Leeds once and met you. Ive also written into a nails magazine and has a personal reply so I am happy to have found you again!! You certainly know your stuff and Ive gotta ask, I qualified at College doing Fibreglass nails but now I wish to do acrylics. The tutor at college told us we could "teach ourselves" acrylics which I thought was a bit naughty but there you go... The infills part fills me with dread and if I wanted to do a short course on acrylics or buy a book what would you suggest? P.s. I notice it says you are posting from abroad-have you moved now? Id love to learn all aspects of nails and work abroad-any tips?
Regards,
Toni x:biggrin:

yet another great tutorial....i'd really like to see some pics to go with these....it would help to visualize the nail..

Thanks Geeg that was excellent! In a few days of joining this site ive learnt so much!
I always struggle to get a perfect finish but this has helped a great deal!!

Just brilliant, I always look forward to reading your tutorials. Do you by any chance do a dvd so I could watch and learn,because i'm a bit ribbish at the moment:o

Thank you I've seen the line of light!!!!!

Geeg,
I don;t add solar oil to my nails at the stage you suggest as I "finish off" my nail and then add a thin clear coat of IBD gel, cure for 3 mins and then add the solar oil... Also I use the same file start to finish?.. i am guessing i should have a few more?..
Also I am one of those people who "cut" the corner off one side... I have oftern wondered why that is... I thought it was my clients not sitting straight... some of them love a chat to the person next to them and turn their bodies to the side and I am forever asking them to sit straight... hmmmm will watch this from now on..,
I have been on here learning all day... love this site. thanks again
Mel

Hi...i was wondering if anyone knows of a link to left handed efiling:eek:

Hi there i found your information great i have just completed my CND liquid and powder training i am so happy doing this, i am getting real pleasure out of making people happy it is great. I been reading the handbook and watching dvd also the ambassadors have been great and your post just helped, i have and i have been continually trying to make sure i get the mix ratio and three zones all correct i am sure with alot of work and a continual look at the notes i have i will get there thanks for this it is great you are passing on your knowledge thank you :) x

Latest posts

Back