File control!! Part 4 - During the Rebalance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
File control!! Part 4 – During the Rebalance

The rebalance is the procedure most often carried out by nail technicians. Many new technicians are surprised at just how long this process takes.

The rebalance actually is a relatively quick process if there are no problems to correct, but enhancements are not indestructible and inevitably problems such as breakages and lifting can occur during the time between appointments. These things should not however be the norm, but rather the exception.

For instance, you should not have to thin the cuticle area during a rebalance other than to tidy up the area and check that all the edges are sealed, as it should already be so thin you cannot tell where it joins the new growth of the natural nail. You should not have to ‘thin out’ or remove half the product on the enhancement before reapplying … only in the areas you need to adjust.

A normal the rebalance should be about assessing the nails and then maintaining them with an eye to preventing future problems rather than correcting present ones.

This tutorial is to emphasise a different method of using your abrasive to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Many technicians do far more filing during the rebalance than is necessary. Remember, filing for long periods of time when there is no need is boring for everyone!! Let’s avoid it where we can. Lots of filing = lot of dust. It is good to work with an eye to reducing dust and not creating it. Lots of filing can = unnecessary trauma to the natural nail. Lets avoid it where we can.

Firstly start by using a good sharp new abrasive always for the rebalance - makes the job much faster and easier. I use a 180x240 grit abrasive.

How to tackle the dreaded problem of removing lifted material.

One thing you must look at first, is whether or not you are seeing more lift on your clients’ nails than you should be. It is common for amateurs to get lifting at the sides and the cuticle area because they go too near, or they touch the skin with the product in the first place. Sometimes the lift is due to product being applied to thickly (another part of the learning curve). Keep a small margin around the nail plate free of product when you apply. Work with less product and lifting will become a thing of the past, or at least a rarity.

Many technicians spend much energy and time ‘chasing the line’ of lifted material down the nail plate, filing and filing until half the product has been removed. There is no need.

Do you know why you are chasing the line down the nail??? Because you are filing ON TOP of the area that is already lifted instead of filing on the part of the enhancement that is still adhered firmly to the nail!! This creates unsightly and unsanitary ‘fill lines’ which remain visible on the completed nail.

When you file on top of the lifted product, which is ALREADY loose, you just shake loose everything below where you are filing and end up chasing the line until you reach an area where the product is thicker and so therefore will not shake loose so easily. What a waste of time and effort. What a chore!

If you concentrate instead, on filing just BELOW the lifted area (where the product is firmly attached), you won't loosen anything further and when you ‘break through’ to the natural nail, the lifted bit will just pop off and there will be NO fill lines and No nail damage either. Get it??

Take this little gem of information - use it - and your life as a nail technician will be changed forever.

MOST technicians when faced with a rebalance look at the nails and head straight for the problem area on each one - i.e. the lift if there is any. And yes, if that is what you do then removing the lifted material by filing thru the product immediately would be time consuming. BUT if you tackle the rebalance Zone by Zone - in the same way as you would apply the product or thin and blend a tip, then the whole job is quicker and more efficient.

Change your mind set … dare to think in a different way and, ’hey presto’ job’s easy.

Start at Zone 1 (the tip) first, shorten it, thin it and reshape it.

Then move on to zone2 (the stress area) thinning it slightly and checking carefully for any cracks, bare spots or weak spots. If all is well, move on to zone 3.

When you get to zone 3 (the cuticle area which is already the thinnest zone anyway, and where the lift will normally be if there is any) you will already have been thinning it as your abrasive has moved up and down, during the process of preparing zones 1 & 2, so the product will already be partially thinned when you start to work in this area.

Use the 180 side to do the bulk of the work, and switch to the 240 side as you get nearer to the natural nail and the last bit of lifted material will flake away. Carefully and gently blend any ledge of product seamlessly into the nail plate. Remember to keep the abrasive moving firmly and evenly so as not to cause any fires!!

After you have reapplied your new product, your rebalanced nails will look like a brand new set.

Last edited:
Excellent post as usual Geeg. I am off to rebalance my nails now :)

Thanks geeg, having just done my cnd rebalance day and feeling very unsuccessful this article is a godsend.

Thank you that really helps. I have these problems all the time. I feel like the rebalancing is more work than the initial full set. I will take this with me the next time I rebalance.

Thanks so much!

Very good I really understand this and are looking forward to having a go.

Thanks

Carolyn.

Gigi you're a star!
that all makes sooooo much sense to do in zones, hopefully now i will knock some time off and it should'nt take as long as it did to put the enhancements on in the first place!

I realize that doing back fills take practise, practice, practise! I am recently back into the industry after several years, the back fills were the bomb just before I left. Could you please give me some good hints and suggest some easier procedures, especially in making the smile line look beautiful again. I am also new with the drill and I do not feel totally comfortable as yet. I do use my emery board more than the drill, but would love to get my time down some. Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Trisha

Very helpful tips, as you said trying to file lifted area, what a fool, common sense, were did it go. thankyou.:lol:

thanku so much for this! i really struggled with rebalance, but after reading this it does make sense. and i am improving.

cheers geeg

This is sooo going to help me. I have one lady who has lifting at the sides on the odd nail & I fear removing it because of not doing it effectively and causing file line. She has stiff hands too so doesn't make my job easy. I think I have been chasing the line, so this information is definately staying with me. Thanks Geeg

Now i know where i have been going wrong and i usually see a line through the rebalance.
Have a rebalnce to do on Friday, i'm going to take this with me and follow it, and i hopefully i will end up with beautifull nails once more.

All is now clear! God why do we make things complicated when they can be so simple! Doh! Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
brilliant thanks

Excellent reading Gigi, that all makes sense, I will give this a go tomorrow! Certainly a different way of looking at it and hey if anything can save time then great.

received your book as an xmas pressie as i've just started out in a salon and although i did nails at college have yet to perfect them. It has been sooooo helpful. Fab advice.

rach xx

i was chasing the line on my client yesterday on every finger baring in mind she had done a bit of filing herself!!!
and it was driving me round the bend ino matter how hard i tried it was just getting worse and worse,i was so frustrated, but i was starting at the lifted area and working my way up now omg its all clicked in to place,you have an incredible way of describing things so people can actually visualise what you say,thankyou
i just hope a client has lifting soon so i can fix it with my new found knowledge...oooh no infact ill do my own now!

this tutorial has really helped me, i would love to know where to get your book from!!
thanx geeg

Thanks chick, I have read all your tutorial and they are valuble pieces of information thankyou. I hope i can get my infills sorted. feel more relieved.
from Trace x

Excellent tutorial...no more chasing the line now. Thanks Geeg. XX

I am quite newly qualified and after trying to work out where i am going wrong with my filing on infills and rebalance, reading your tuorial it all makes sense i was seriously thinking about giving up !!!! THANKYOU so much i have 2 sets to re balance nxt week i will let you know:lol:

Latest posts

Back