File nails after gel polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packerfan

Reaction score
DI'd anyone every hear of that

You shouldn't do it, takes the capped edge off and makes them chip and peel x

You can file the nals after L&P but not after a gel or gel polish because the free edge needs to remain capped.

You shouldn't do it, takes the capped edge off and makes them chip and peel x
I know this but do you ever have people come in and tell you that another nail tech does this and I told this client I WILL NOT FILE THE FREE EDGE WHEN DONE

I know this but do you ever have people come in and tell you that another nail tech does this and I told this client I WILL NOT FILE THE FREE EDGE WHEN DONE

What was the reasoning behind the extra filing? Did your client tell you?
And the other geeks were just explaining the reason why it shouldn't be done as your OP is very short and blunt. Don't get angry please

This is a direct quote from Geeg and I have done the same ever since Shellac etc. came out:

"I file my Shellacked nails every 3 days or so to maintain the length.

We all know the sealed edge wears off the sharp edge of the natural nail and it doesn't matter at all.

Filing the free edge with a soft grit file, maintains the length and keeps Shellac looking as if it were freshly applied for weeks."

You can file nails after gel polish services. A very coarse file might cause an issue but a 240 file is fine.

The capped free edge wears away in a few days anyway. Capping is aesthetic & also stops shrinkage. It has no impact on longevity.

http://www.salongeek.com/threads/messers-pickers.149029/

Post #6 from the above thread covers it.

Edited to say @attitude beat me to it:)

What was the reasoning behind the extra filing? Did your client tell you?
And the other geeks were just explaining the reason why it shouldn't be done as your OP is very short and blunt. Don't get angry please
Cocoa lure I am not angry I was explaining what I told my client that I am not filing free edge when i am finished I took a shellac course and I do it the way I was trained

Filing them absolutely does make them susceptible to lofting and peeling, how could it not!? Mine lift within a say if a nail tech files them at the end. Leaves an open edge for water, dirt etc to get in to and doesn't keep the gel bonded to nail as well of there's movement. Of you're a lucky person with lovely thick strong nails the no issue, but when you have extremely weak floppy nails that fold and bend whenever have impact with anything then this ensures a lesser lifespan. I would think it was common sense. The same way they lift and peel at the edges if taken too close to the skin. The bonded bit doesn't stop the dredge lifting.

Latest posts

Back