files for natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me an alternative file to use on a natural nail that I can saw with and not damage natural nail.
I currently use the Kanga board which is 240 grit but I find it doesn`t last very long at all and would like an alternative

I prefer using a more flexible file - I have found the Kangas too hard - there are lots of 240 files about - the one I like best is the NSI one with the square ends but I prefer files that are the same grit on both sides but hey ho you can't have everything LOL.

not sure what ones you mean Fiona, and are they thin boards or thicker files?
I like something thin to get up side of nail plate and I also need to know I can saw without damage

If you are using a 240 then you should not do damage with light sawing.

When you say up the side of the nail are you meaning when doing your prep or filing the shape of the nail - I use Koalas for removing shine but file the free edge with a 240 file which is thicker than the Kanga - more like the black grit with the spongy bit in the middle LOL.

We are all different in what we like - you need to try a few to find what works best for you.

Debs said:
Can anyone tell me an alternative file to use on a natural nail that I can saw with and not damage natural nail.
I currently use the Kanga board which is 240 grit but I find it doesn`t last very long at all and would like an alternative
Have you tried a glass file their brill

Hi Debs

I like the glass files for natural nails too.

x

Debs said:
Hey Debs

Have you had a try of Designer Nails' own abrasive "Black Velvet" (240/240) - I find these lasts for absolutely ages - I switched from Kanga to these for this very reason and use them on both natural nails and enhancements. For some reason, I just prefer the feel of these so much more.

Hi Holl'

Is the "Black Velvet" a new file out, I haven't heard of that one. Might invest in a few.

Hollyballoo said:
Hey Debs

Have you had a try of Designer Nails' own abrasive "Black Velvet" (240/240) - I find these lasts for absolutely ages - I switched from Kanga to these for this very reason and use them on both natural nails and enhancements. For some reason, I just prefer the feel of these so much more.

Julie Parkin said:
Hi Holl'

Is the "Black Velvet" a new file out, I haven't heard of that one. Might invest in a few.

Hi Julie

No, the Black Velvet has been about for ages - if you've got a copy of the Creative product catalogue, they are listed on page 23 under the Designer Nails' abrasives, though there is no image of them. If not, the order number is 60036 and is for a pack of 20.

Definitely give them a try!

HTHs.

I'm just a "customer" rather than a techie but I use a glass file too and they're fab. Leave the nail edge really smooth. And I think they can go in the dishwasher!!

best wishes

Steve

Hi there geeks,

Just to let you all know...as the lovely Mrs Geek has already reliably told...Designer Nails are soon to revamp their entire range of Abrasives. Sooooo, watch this space and get ready to be very excited! ;)

x

grantygeek said:
watch this space and get ready to be very excited! ;)

x

LOL..........Ohh i'm w.t at the thught of it....lmao:lol:

I like the glass files for natural nails too.

grantygeek said:
Hi there geeks,

Just to let you all know...as the lovely Mrs Geek has already reliably told...Designer Nails are soon to revamp their entire range of Abrasives. Sooooo, watch this space and get ready to be very excited! ;)

x

Yay!! :) Do we get any brochure type thingy with prices and pics??

This is such an old post thats come back to haunt, lol
I do use the DN black velvet but its interesting to see what else others use. Gonna have a look at the glass files now!

Does anyone know where you can get the Crystal files like the NSI ones but without the rhinestone designs on the handles? I'd love to put my own designs on and give some to friends for birthdays.

I have some for sale on GeekBay for £6 each including postage -they have handpainted floral designs on them. Unfortunately Ican't upload the pictures on it there seems to be a problem.

Discounts available for bulk purchases. PM me if you're interested.

Latest posts

Back