Filing advice needed to stop nipping clients skin

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uber

Reaction score
Whenever I file I end up nipping at least one finger on whoever I am doing.

Any tips on what I should be doing to avoid this please?

1) try filing the edge off your files - use an old file to take the sharp edge off new files

2) have a read of the filing technique tutorials on this site. Makes a huge difference to the way you both hold and the angles you use to file.....

Hth's

I wear gloves & pull back the side wall skin with my nail so if anything I am filing my glove.

I always take the sharp edges of my new files. I'd highly recommend the book 'Nail Class' by Gigi Rouse, it's full of loads of helpful advice. I wouldn't be without it :)

Thanks Ladies,

I have the book. Gonna go and have a look over it now. :)

I checked the book. I do already incorporate the filing technique so I am one step there.

I had already tried the technique described by Pooh8Bear but stopped cos I thought it was a bit amateurish especially looking at others who seemed they did not need to do this. But concidentally I am ordering gloves today so I think I will adopt that method again. It makes better sense then upsetting clients.

thanks again!

Have you tried filing the sharp edges of a new file. When i first started i forgot to do this once and immediately nipped a client, i've never forgotton since and have never nipped or cut a client since, try it i'm sure it will help

hi hun, i use sand turtles which i find great also nail tape which i put over the cuticle to protect it

Thanks I'm gonna try these ideas.

Is a sand turtle a buffer

I checked the book. I do already incorporate the filing technique so I am one step there.

I had already tried the technique described by Pooh8Bear but stopped cos I thought it was a bit amateurish especially looking at others who seemed they did not need to do this. But concidentally I am ordering gloves today so I think I will adopt that method again. It makes better sense then upsetting clients.

thanks again!

Uber, I'm not wearing the gloves just to stop myself accidental filing the skin, I wear them for hygiene & to reduce risk of allergy.
The fact that it's my glove that may get touched by the file rather than the skin is coincidental.
Sorry I didn't explain it very well the first time.:)

It's good you are getting yourself some gloves, (although they take a bit of getting used to) I think it is a lot more professional to wear them than not.
Not only do they show the client that you care about hygiene it also makes sure that you don't get any of the sanitiser or inhibition layer on your skin which could cause you to have an allergic reaction to the product over time.

Personally, I would ask my educator to hep me with this issue rather than voicing my problem online .
Nothing better than asking the person that is training you.
They can help you immediately whilst guiding you to achieve your outcome.
We can't see what you are doing, but your educator can.

Latest posts

Back