Filing L&P?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_girl

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I have been searching on here and cannot find the answer or I already know it??? Not sure which.

I am having trouble with my filing. I am doing NVQ Level 3 nails using NSI products. I have put a nail critique up and its the one that says 'my first real attempt at l&p' I use NSI. I did some nails which were my first set. I have been practicising. I just get the feeling that they look a bit wide? She had nice long nails and she didnt want to go too short so after I put the tips on, I filed them but I think I filed them too short and then I put the white on and I just thought they looked too thick. I have a problem with the white looking too wide and I think its either my filing technique or the tips but the tips looked fine when they had no product on. To get a squoval nail do you file straight down the side walls and then across the free edge and then file in a bit from the side walls? My filing is just getting me down. I have Nailclass and I love nails and do a lot of reading like all of you but I know it cant be perfect straight away but I wanna learn. My college isnt exactly the best and I learn more from books and youtube etc than I do in class, isnt that bad.

Thanks all :confused:

Do you have a pic? X

Oh and for what it's worth, when I'm doing squoval nails I first of all get the right length keeping them in the square shape and then when I'm happy with length I round off the corners. I also find its easy to mistakenly use tips that are too wide so when your product goes on they look really wide too so make sure you use correct size tips and correct typ of tips to suit nail shape. Xx

Yes they do look a bit wide at the tips, but it's easily fixed :hug:

the first thing that comes to mind , is the tips you are using may be slightly too big for the nail they should fit snugly from side wall to side wall but not overlap the side wall in any way.

Are you using the NSI tips , I have always found these to be very chunky so if you are using them make sure when you are blending them in that you are taking a good bit of the bulk down off them as well (this could be a big culprit)

When you are placing you white in zone one , make sure you are adjusting the angle of the brush as you get to the side walls. Your flattened flags should be parrelle in the centre and then you should be slowly turning the brush until it's almost perpendicular at the side walls.

finally when your finishing off the enhancement file up and down the side walls with you elbow tucked in at your side so that your file is completely straight if you have it any way angled it will leave a step at the side of the nail so make sure the file lies completely straight. This will get rid of any bulk of acrylic that has built up there , but it is also very important that you've thinned out your tip at the sides or else you'll just have tip at the sides and so you enhancement will tend to crack there.

Hope my explanations are clear :D xx

Thanks ellebelle and noreenoconnor. Noreen I do Isenberg NSI tips bit I may change to pro impressions as everyone says they are good. So the NSI tips I need to file the bulk of the whole tip like gigi eexplains in nail class and not just the well area. I will try this ony next few set's. I like the tucking the elbow in and I will try that. I take note of your advice. I'm doing gels with tips on Sunday, French manicure, NSI balance. X

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

Yes I also trained with NSI and the tips are very thick in my opinion , doesn't mean there not good , just means theres a bit of extra work with them. Start and the tip of the tip and take them down until there are very thin. Remember there is no strength in the tip , it is only a base to rest your acrylic on , so the thinner the tip the stronger the enhancement .

I had a niggling feeling that the tips may be your problem, thin them right out and i'm sure your nails won't be half as bulky , post a pic :D Looking forward to seeing them :D

Have you looked on the nail angel website? It's brilliant, they have video demos all using NSI products, hope this helps ;)

Thank you.

I will try thinning the tips out. I have never been shown that before only to file the well line where you can see it when the tips have gone on.

Beautilicious24 - yes I have, its a brilliant website I just needed some pointers on where I may be going wrong as I am doing all the correct steps. However I am only training and have a long way to go and I know even when you have been doing it years and years, you still find bits you want to improve on.

I will try this and see. I guess I just file the tips as I would as if I was filing away the line in the well area. Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back