Filing sidewalls

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautiqueSpa

Reaction score
So I have a bug bear with filing sidewalls too thin. Does anyone have any tips on how to create the look of nice slender nails without taking off too much acrylic down the sides which is where I keep getting carried away with.

Hey :)
If you find yourself filing the sidewalls a lot in order to slim down the nail, perhaps the issue lies with the sculpting and application. Depending on what shape you desire (ballerina, square, stiletto, almond...) the way you apply the form and angle it onto the nail will vary. With both acrylic and gel, you could also pinch the nail at appropriate times to further slim down the nail and enhance the C-curve. The c-curve itself will help you achieve a strong solid structure, so that the nail can be very thin and narrow without the risk of breakage.
I personally don't enjoy using tips, but if you use them, make sure you shape them before applying product. After applying the tips, cut and shape them as necessary, and then you wont have to file much at all after applying your product. With tips too, you can pinch with a pinching tool, and it should further slim the nail, but careful not to overdo it.

Thanks for the advice. I don’t ‘have’ to file the sidewalls as much as I do but I just seem to do it anyway. I think I have to accept a wide nail bed is a wide nail bed and will never look as slender as I’d like it to. Thankfully it’s only mine and my Mums that I’ve done it to. Everyone else has so far had nice slim nail beds. Self discipline lol

Thanks for the advice. I don’t ‘have’ to file the sidewalls as much as I do but I just seem to do it anyway. I think I have to accept a wide nail bed is a wide nail bed and will never look as slender as I’d like it to. Thankfully it’s only mine and my Mums that I’ve done it to. Everyone else has so far had nice slim nail beds. Self discipline lol
If your Mum has really wide nails, perhaps round and square are not the best shapes for her - if it's a slender look you are wanting to achieve. Try an oval, almond or coffin. Something that tapers at the end to reduce width :)

Yeah, she’s a bit of a stick in the mud and likes them round! I keep trying to give her coffins but she struggles with them. I’ll keep working on her. Thanks for the advice. XX

Latest posts

Back