Finally .. I have found what I am looking for!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited

Goldie Hawn Geek
Reaction score
HI All

Just thought I would let you all know that I have, after some time, found my ideal starter salon.

I am based in Tunbridge Wells and have put in an offer on a small unit in the Pantiles Arcade - a listed building in the historic part of Tunbridge Wells. It is very small but I think an excellent size to start off with. It is 192 square feet but is in building which has been converted into an arcade of lovely little shops. The rent is manageable and service charge is included in the rental. The only other main outgoings would be rates and utilities, insurance etc.

Now here comes the initial dilemma .. how to decorate it .. I am looking forward to that side of things but I want to get it right .. I am sure I will make mistakes but hopefully not too many!

If any of you who already have salons have any good general tips for a new salon what would they be? There are so many NTs on this site therefore I think there must be some very good tips to take into consideration. I suppose the main one is staffing - there will be space for possibly 3 NTs but maybe only 2 to start with.

I will post more about my new venture as it progresses but any comments would be extremely welcome!

Thank you all so much.

Nickie@Nailmania-Limited said:
HI All

Just thought I would let you all know that I have, after some time, found my ideal starter salon.

I am based in Tunbridge Wells and have put in an offer on a small unit in the Pantiles Arcade - a listed building in the historic part of Tunbridge Wells. It is very small but I think an excellent size to start off with. It is 192 square feet but is in building which has been converted into an arcade of lovely little shops. The rent is manageable and service charge is included in the rental. The only other main outgoings would be rates and utilities, insurance etc.

Now here comes the initial dilemma .. how to decorate it .. I am looking forward to that side of things but I want to get it right .. I am sure I will make mistakes but hopefully not too many!

If any of you who already have salons have any good general tips for a new salon what would they be? There are so many NTs on this site therefore I think there must be some very good tips to take into consideration. I suppose the main one is staffing - there will be space for possibly 3 NTs but maybe only 2 to start with.

I will post more about my new venture as it progresses but any comments would be extremely welcome!

Thank you all so much.
I have such fond memories of one August at the Pantiles - the week when they dress up in costumes! Oh, happy days! :)

I'm glad you have found a suitable place for your salon. As for decoration i wouldgo for something fresh and clean looking with a simple theme. Perhaps a lilac just for a thought.

I don't own a salon but its an idea that maybe some day i will. I hope you do exactly what you feel is best. I'm sure it will look great whatever you do, good luck with the decor.

I think you have to first think of the niche of the market you want to cater to. You can go for the young crowd or the 30 something crowd or take all comers.

If you are marketing to a niche then go for what you know willl be attractive to that niche.

If marketing to a general crowd I would keep the decor modern with soothing colours and a relaxing 'feel'.

Make sure to include in your budget the most important thing .... extraction ventillation in your desks. So many people think decor first and safety later. Go for the absolute best if you can. You will NOT regret it. Clean atmosphere ... less cleaning ... nicer environment.

It was so nice meeting up with you last week here in Spain... the best of luck with the new venture and hope to see you again soon. xx

So pleased for you, this is the start of something new and very exiting.......
Maybe browse around other shops and then decide what you do like and what you dont like,it's a starting point.
If it is really small keep it light, uncluttered and fresh....mirrors and lighting in clever places can increase the size visualy..........but extraction and desk filfters are a number one priority............. the rest is make up.
Again good luck and so happy for you xxxxxx

congrats!

although u want it to b quite clean lines etc, i wud say add sum quirky period type feature's, after all its a listed building, and T.wells is v. old, so it would fit in, such as maybe a mirror or pic frame, that looks relativly ornate in louis VIII style, like a few neo-georgan touches, but mixing it with modern bits, it could look quite funky, yet traditional. (although please do understand this -don't call the fashion police - i do mean cool quirky not pub like, so don't worry not suggesting rad's with a wood effect!!!)

or ( excuse my spelling) a chaise-lounge, near a window, where clients (or people with ure clients) can sit and read a mag whilst waiting.

ne way good luck honey with ure nu fenture. can't wait till i have more experience and can have a salon!

Hi Nickie. Well done, you. Sounds great. Sorry I didn't get to the Kent County Show to see you, my car's poorly. There's a salon that looks quite nice along Camden Road, all wooden floors & pinky/peach walls. Maybe you could do something similar with colour washed walls & old style lights? The suggestions above all sound great too. Keep me posted on how it all goes & if you need any help with anything at all, just give me a shout x

If the building is listed it will have restrictions on it and you may have to get permission to decorate it. You certainly wouldn't be able to make any alterations with permission first. so check out first
Deb379

Hi Deb

The building is listed as you say but the restrictions are only those which the landlord dictates ie, signage etc. You can basically do what you want in the interior of each unit.

My thoughts on this are "shabby chic" because it would fit really well with the look of the whole building.

My husband it making digital oil paintings in big gold picture frames of some of the nail posters which I have collected from various sources. I have also got some indonesian dancers hands for ornaments. But as the salon is so tiny it has to be done very carefully so as not to look too cluttered!!!

Thanks for your ideas though. Very much appreciated.

That's good new for you, hope all goes well, it's not easy finding the right place. Every time I've looked there's always some bug bear.

Never mind, something will turn up.

All the best
Deb379

hiya nickie!
GREAT NEWS!!
i'm soooo pleased for you.
i know you have great taste, & with your hubbie's artistic eye, you'll do fine!
will u now b too busy to come & see me for some more education??!?
would b good to c u again.
r u going to excell?
liza xx

hey, what about, dark wood floors, quite neutral walls, like a cream (so it can take colour from accessories), with chocolate brown upholstery, and the big ornate frames u mentioned.

with simple colours but the bo-hemium frames etc, it could look really classy! if u have natural coloured walls it won't look to over powering, and then u could change the pics in frames with seasons and fashion.

oh! Im just so jelious of u!

Hi

thanks to all of you who have been so positive ... The ideas will certain be put to good use and the search of a good nail station with desktop extractor is now on. So any one with any recommendations, please let me know. I have to stick to a budget but extraction is important, so they may well be the biggest part of the budget. Any help would be great.

Many thanks for all being so helpful.

Toodle pip

Latest posts

Back