Finance company breaks confidentiality

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamiereid92

Reaction score
Hello,

I am looking for some help. I have been trying to purchase a hair salon and before any information I had to sign a confidentiality agreement.

I was in touch with a finance company and in the end decided I didn't like their offer so stopped contacting them. They were fully aware I was trying to borrow money to purchase a business and it was to be handled confidentially.

They have given me lots of calls which I have ignored, but then they sent a letter adressed to me, and my would be salon name, to the salons address! They knew that this was a confidential sale, they have my email address and home address, I don't understand why they did that.

I am going to call to complain, but I want to know what to say and what I am entitled to as this could have a negative effect on me getting this salon.

Thanks for reading and any help.

Hi Jamie, that's really naughty of them! Very inconsiderate...i am guessing from your post that you work in a salon that you don't own and want to buy a salon elsewhere? I would definitely contact them like you were going to and ask to speak to the most senior member of staff. If it was me i would simply say that you understood that this was a confidential service and that you feel that they have breached confidentiality by sending the letter to your place of work which has now made things awkward for you and caused a great deal of stress and tension(assuming it has - obviously don't lie). What you say next depends on what outcome you want. If you want them to not contact you again say that you wish to be removed from their database and not receive contact from them again. If you want a formal letter of apology ask for that too. Tell them you will be taking your business elsewhere or if you don't want them to know you are still looking you could say that you had changed your mind about the whole thing and that this has now affected your job(if it has) otherwise that is why you never responded to their contact.

You had every right to not answer calls etc but in this day in ages every sale counts and sales people are often taught not to give up, keep contacting until the customer gives you a flat out 'no go away'. It is wrong and why I never got on well in sales! Best thing to do is to be upfront in future and answer the call and just say hi thanks for calling but my situation has changed and i will not be looking to do business/use your services (or whatever is appropriate) and that you don't wish to be contacted anymore. That way it saves them keep chasing...its anoying and you shouldn't have to but people don't take the hint these days and you almost literally have to slap them round the face(figuratively speaking of course) before they will listen or stop. Anyway that's no good for you now but definitely something I have adopted and you could adopt for future.

I wish you all the best with getting a salon of your own I hope this helped in some way:)

Financial Institutions are bound by very strict rules regarding client confidentiality so I’d be looking at pursuing this legally.

Start by calling the ICO helpline for advice (or try their live chat).

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/live-chat/

yes exactly what AcidPerm said (she said it loads shorter and more to the point than i did lol!) and you could also try the financial ombudsman too and citizens advice:)

Latest posts

Back