Finding a job is hard work!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
hello.. ive been looking for a job for about 6 months now and have had one interview..im finding it really hard as everywhere says they want at least 2 years experience, i qualified in my nvq level 2 but have additional treatments that i have done such as spray tanning, nail extensions and eyelash extensions, i wouldnt even mind just doing a day work voluntary just to gain salon experience do you recon i should mention this in my cv? does this sound desperate? i feel like my confidence is slipping.. any advice?:cry:

I would def ask some salons if you could work there one day a week for free to get some experience and it does look good on your CV and if you do good which Im sure you will they may even keep you on.

Keep applying aswel make sure your CV stands out :)

can the college you trained at not put you in touch with any salons looking for students/recently qualified students? i know when i was at college they often mentioned salons phoning up and asking if they could pass the word around that they were looking for staff etc. while you are looking for salon work don't just sit around waiting for a call back - get out there and offer your treatments so that you can get some of your investment back and so that you are still in touch with the beauty world. it'll be good practise and of course you wont forget treatment sequences or fall behind in the latest treatments and techniques.

there are other options apart from working for somebody else of course. you could rent a room, start your own home salon or go mobile.

i don't see how wanting to get experience is you being 'desperate' or could be seen as a bad thing? i'd think that was a positive surely? x

Are you including a detailed covering letter with every CV ? Don't forget you are selling yourself in this letter the prospective employer should be thinking wow this therapist sounds amazing !!

Better still hand your CV in person then use your charm on the staff you meet. Im sure any employer would be encouraged straight away if their existing staff like the therapist before they even start work.

I would say start afresh tomorrow and get yourself round to the salons in person with your c.v, I tend just to have a quick read and file away c.v's but if i meet somebody and chat for a few mins , you do get a feel feel what they are about if its a genuine intrest . explain to them you need the experience andn its voluntary!!! salons may be looking for extra staff over xmas and what a great way to get your foot in the door. Good luck and keep us posted.:)

I agree with handbagqueen. I tend to file cv's as well. It's much better to go round in person.
I get so many letters from people looking for a job, so yours would have to really stand out.
I don't think it sounds desperate to offer to work for free, quite the opposite. It sounds like you are keen and eager to please.
One of the letters that i got that really stood out, was a young lad who offered to work 30 hours a week for 4 weeks without pay!
Now if i could just have 13 of those a year :lol::lol:

Thankyou for all the advice its really helpful, I'm going to update my cv tomorrow and go on a job hunt on Friday :) hopefully I find something and get my foot in the door! X:hug:

best of luck and let us know how you get on :) I bet there are a fair few people reading this thread who can relate

I do think everyone has given you some great ideas. However, I own two salons and would not consider anyone with a level 2 unless they were willing to work towards their level 3 (please dont be offended) .

So, maybe you can write in your cv somewhere that you would be happy to do that (if, of course you were happy to ) as some of them might require that level 3 and are put off by your level 2.

Just a thought!.

hello.. ive been looking for a job for about 6 months now and have had one interview..im finding it really hard as everywhere says they want at least 2 years experience, i qualified in my nvq level 2 but have additional treatments that i have done such as spray tanning, nail extensions and eyelash extensions, i wouldnt even mind just doing a day work voluntary just to gain salon experience do you recon i should mention this in my cv? does this sound desperate? i feel like my confidence is slipping.. any advice?:cry:

You sound like just who I am looking for!...just a shame you are not in my area! :irked:

Thankyou for all the advice its really helpful, I'm going to update my cv tomorrow and go on a job hunt on Friday :) hopefully I find something and get my foot in the door! X:hug:

Best of luck hun, voluntary work always looks good as it shows interest beyond money.

Let us know how you get on! :)

Sophie

I know EXACTLY how you feel! I did my full Creative course and coudnt get work anywhere, salons only want people with experience, I also applied to get a beauty room or nail bar but was told i was too 'risky'.
So i just had to bite the bullet and have decided to go self employed as I couldnt really wait any longer, But good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Latest posts

Back