Finding being a beauty apprentice hard

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
I’ve nearly done my level 2 beauty, I’ve done LVL courses, eyelash extension courses, spray tan courses and acrylic course separately that my manager has payed for. I’m so grateful for that as I’ve learnt new skills. I absolutely love my job but I’m finding it very hard, I’ve had a few complaints over the past year and a half working here and even though 3 isn’t a lot, it still gets me down as I shouldn’t have ANY at all. It knocks my confidence. I’m so busy recently and even though I like being busy, I struggle to stick to my timings without panicking/being stressed. I get all flustered when nothing runs smoothly, or people book in for something completely different or for example they don’t book in an acrylic removal before gel but I have only a slot for gel. I’m just finding it very hard and wondered if any other apprentices feel the same???

hi there ive been in a similar situation as an apprentice not in beauty but hairdressing but still a busy salon situation and working with general public . its fantastic that you really want to do well and are keen to please, but you wont please everyone there is always gonna be some one moans lol it takes a while to perfect your skills and im sure many people on this forum can relate to your situation but it will improve just make sure that your high standards dont slip because of pressure. Your timings will improve with experience and please dont be so hard on your self be confident smile take a deep breath your gonna be amazing 😊

I’m not an apprentice- but I’d love to recruit an apprentice like you! Wow Wee - only 3 complaints you’re a Super Star. I’d be skipping around the salon delighted with your progress if I was your Manager. Well Done!

When you are training, mistakes are how you learn and grow. It’s also how you learn to hold yourself to a high standard. A complaint is always a learning point for your Manager - something where THEY. haven’t supported you sufficiently. Remember you’re a team. I learn a lot from complaints - usually it’s a reminder to me, not to be too nice, not to overbook; to ask exactly what the client wants and to manage client expectations.

It’s how you make a client feel that they will remember and that’s what will keep them returning. Feeling anxious can ruin a client’s experience - it’s hard to enjoy something if your therapist looks stressed and miserable!.

You need emotional resilience in this job. Think of it like building muscle strength or developing a new skill. You will get stronger and better with consistent effort and mindful practise.

At this stage in your career, accept that you won’t be perfect and acknowledge that you are going to improve over time, Don’t overthink, take a deep breath and congratulate yourself on how much you’ve learnt already. Don’t forget your hourly pay reflects your skill level. If you’re not yet on a skilled pay rate then you can’t beat yourself up if you can’t deliver the same standard as someone earning £2-£3 an hour more than you.

Keep going, just the fact that you’re posting here shows yoi’ve got the makings of a great therapist!

Latest posts

Back