Finding jobs abroad and moving

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekling

Reaction score
Hello geeks!

I would really love to move to either Spain or Greece in the near future for a year or so, before I go I'd love to have a job lined up to save the worry once I'm over there.

I'm 19 just finished my level 3 beauty therapy at college and have a salon placement in a local salon. I'd love to move away and am not scared of moving...

I'd rather not go through a company and would rather literally move over to work.

I'm just wondering if any geeks on here have done the move?
If anyone knows the best way of finding a job? I've emailed spas etc with my CV attached and looked on seek and spa staff.com with not much luck.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hi,

Different approach to me but I thought would share what I have done. I moved to Cyprus for a season and worked in Ayia Napa when I was younger. I went through a company which worked out very well and got bar work and what not and enjoyed the summer... As well as blowing all my money as well lol. Good couple of grand.

It would be great to move straight out to somewhere and have work lined up but make sure you research the areas etc and that the job is fairly stable-ish to keep you there :) Always save some money for a rainy day too and jobs chop and change abroad.

I wish you good luck!

I moved to Cyprus too, Paphos. Stayed for 3 years, I worked in a bar and hotel as I wasn't in this industry then but had a amazing time. Go and enjoy it, was one of the best things I did x

I went to Cyprus too lol. But Ayia napa for 2 years and pathos for 1. Loved it. Hard work (wouldn't do it again) but so should be done by everyone!!! Fantastic memories! X

I have been living in Corfu for 12 years (but moving back to the UK in OCtober). I think it would be very difficult to get a job in a local salon even with your diploma especially in Greece (not so sure about Spain). I have the same qualification as you, plus lots of others qualifications and I could not open anything here as you must have a diploma/certification from a greek college/uni. I then set up a room at home and have been very busy thankfully. Going back to your particular situation, because you are not intending to build a business to stay forever! I would maybe contact some reputable villa companies (not holiday companies) and ask them if they would like to include beauty services as something offered to their guests. I know that there are quite a few girls do this in my village and they make a lot of money. They visit different villas and do various treatments and sometimes in the larger villas, they are there all day and they charge sometimes four or five times what I would charge. I do this every now and again, only when it is a special request - for example I massaged Janet Jackson last year!!!. Something to think about and it means you are getting the experience working abroad but doing the job you love. Good luck!!!!

Are there any rules/laws on qualifications when you work abroad. My daughter is hoping to work a ski season in the French Alps and is taking her wax pot and shellac - would she be able to do this self employed whilst she is there?

Many thanks
x

Hanks fr your replies guys! You've given me lots to think about, I ideally wanted to be in a spa whilst working but if needs must to be in a bar that wouldn't bother me! :) xx

I have been living in Corfu for 12 years (but moving back to the UK in OCtober). I think it would be very difficult to get a job in a local salon even with your diploma especially in Greece (not so sure about Spain). I have the same qualification as you, plus lots of others qualifications and I could not open anything here as you must have a diploma/certification from a greek college/uni. I then set up a room at home and have been very busy thankfully. Going back to your particular situation, because you are not intending to build a business to stay forever! I would maybe contact some reputable villa companies (not holiday companies) and ask them if they would like to include beauty services as something offered to their guests. I know that there are quite a few girls do this in my village and they make a lot of money. They visit different villas and do various treatments and sometimes in the larger villas, they are there all day and they charge sometimes four or five times what I would charge. I do this every now and again, only when it is a special request - for example I massaged Janet Jackson last year!!!. Something to think about and it means you are getting the experience working abroad but doing the job you love. Good luck!!!!

Wow, that sounds fab, what a great idea about doing the villas! I may start trying to contact some places! Great idea, I suppose I could always work in a bar or Restaurant to tide m over with money or something! Glad to see you business worked out there! That's fab! Xx

Latest posts

Back