Finding the right training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophi Carter

Reaction score
I apologise if this has been covered loads of times and people are getting bored of answering it!
I am looking for a good, solid nail technology course that covers natural nails as well as nail enhancements. I do not mind how long it takes, the important thing is that the teacher knows their stuff and I come out if it feeling that I can tackle pretty much any situation.
The problem is this, I cannot afford to take time off work so it has to be an evening or weekend course, preferably in central or south London. Bromley or Croydon are possibilities and I could probably stretch to Epsom area too. I live near Crystal Palace so anywhere accessible via Clapham Junction is good as I have limited car access.
I have seen some colleges advertising that its course teaches 'stick on nails' – I'm guessing that the lecturer here doesn't have too much knowledge of nail extensions! So this is why I was hoping someone out there might be able to recommend a good college so I don't get stuck with inadequate training!

Thanks xS

Hi Sophi,

It is very difficult to recommend one training course to cover everything you want.

Any training is only as good as the tutor's experience and the students ability to learn. In my experience college courses are very hit and miss - you could be lucky enough to get a very experienced nail technician at the height of his/her career or you could get a tutor who is say a beauty therapist (nothing wrong in that) who only does nails once in a blue moon but is following a crib sheet. I know who I would rather be taught by!

At the end of the day it depends who you think your market will be - my initial interest was in natural nail care only so I went to college and did a manicure and pedicure IHBC course, then went to Borehamwood and took the Jessica course.

If your main interest is in nail enhancements then I would advise a manufacturers course, but choose one of the major ones.

Check with your local colleges and ask about the experience and background of the tutor - you may be lucky.

You say that you cannot afford to take time off work to do training. I say if you go at it half heartedly and go with what is easy and causes you the least inconvenience at this stage then you will not necessarily succeed.

The training is what will make you a great tech - compromise now and you will be compromising all the way down the line.

You say that you cannot afford to take time off work to do training. I say if you go at it half heartedly and go with what is easy and causes you the least inconvenience at this stage then you will not necessarily succeed.

I think this is an unfair statement. I worked full time throughout my training, and now I work f/t in an office and evenings & weekends as a nail tek (on a mobile basis mid week, & in a salon at the weekend).

We cannot all afford to give up our full time employment in favour of this calling (even tho I would LOVE to do so - I don't think my mortgage lender would!!) nor can we all be in the fortunate position to have a husband/wife/partner/parents who can financially support us (at all)!!!!

Unfortunately some of us have ties and commitments wich have to be considered & met. This does not mean we are "half-hearted". I take great offence to this comment. It's not easy trying to balance it all you know!!!

I am currently building my clientele to allow me to do nail tek'ing on a f/t basis & still pay all my bills. This is the only way I can see to make this shift in career.

Returning to Sophi's point...I was in the same boat as you. I decided on a L&P course with creative as I felt this was the best option for me, in my area. It wasn't the cheapest course but it was the only one that started from basic maniucure thru to enhancements - it was also the longest. I then went on to do a gel conversion course, and am planning to go on a Fabric# conversion course too. All of which I have managed to tie in with full time (and part time) work, & keeping a home. I can let you know it can be tiring, but i feel it's been worth it.

You just have to look at whats available to you, in your area, and in line with your budget.

Hope this helps.

Fi

Thanks for the support Fi – you're right, I do need to continue working to afford the education and the mortgage!

I do appreciate what you're saying, however, Fiona but I think that as well as the financial issue, if I were to take a part time course I would be able to really consolidate my knowledge (and practice!) in between lessons so that by the end of it there is no likelihood of forgetting anything.

Also, although I realise that there are some really excellent suppliers courses out there, if I want to work in London it is likely I am going to need a government recognised certificate in order to be able to work. Catch 22 – suppliers have the best educators but colleges have the certificates you need – should I do both?

Hi Sophie,

I'm coming to the end of my course at The London College of Fashion, at Oxford Circus W1.

It was for about nine Saturday mornings and although it wasn't cheep (about £380) it covered manicure, pedicure, silk & fibreglass and acrylic. The course was very fast and we learnt a lot in a short space of time. The college has a website

http://www.lcf.linst.ac.uk/cms.cgi/site/courses/shortcourses/

I'm going on to do my Foundation at Creative in Hammersmith, but like me you may find this a starting point?

Good luck, whatever you do!

Kx :D

feebeast said:

I think this is an unfair statement. I worked full time throughout my training, and now I work f/t in an office and evenings & weekends as a nail tek (on a mobile basis mid week, & in a salon at the weekend).

We cannot all afford to give up our full time employment in favour of this calling (even tho I would LOVE to do so - I don't think my mortgage lender would!!) nor can we all be in the fortunate position to have a husband/wife/partner/parents who can financially support us (at all)!!!!

Unfortunately some of us have ties and commitments wich have to be considered & met. This does not mean we are "half-hearted". I take great offence to this comment. It's not easy trying to balance it all you know!!!

Fi

Sorry Fi,

but you have mis read or misunderstood what I wrote.

I did not mean or say to give up a full time job I only meant that it would be worth taking a few days holiday to do a better quality course rather than only going for the options available outwith working hours.

You seem to take offence quite easily which I feel is unnecessary and not very helpful to you.

Yes in an ideal world we could all have it handed to us but hey who lives in an ideal world.

By using the phrase "half hearted" I merely meant that anything done on an ad-hoc basis at little inconvenience to yourself is not going to give the same results as someone who puts their whole into it. By working full time and then also working doing nails in evenings etc is not in my book doing it half hearted.

I have read so many measages from people who have had poor training all I was doing was trying to help with Sophi's options.

Hi Sophi
I went to Croydon college & it was excellent. You can do all your NVQ training there for manicure & nail enhancements. The tutor there is extremely good & knows her stuff. They use NSI products (well they did when I was there).

Good luck with your choice.
Best wishes
Karen

Hi Sophie,
I can`t help you with a college in your area but I can say you`ll do better getting a college education to achieve the qualification you`re going to need and after that if you feel you need more then go and do a reputable course after that.
I started with 2bit courses, then went on to a college based one but I was one of the unlucky ones with the training I had until I found Creative.
I learnt more there and on this board than I had learnt after 3 years in this field.
BUT I HAVE TO SAY I STILL GOT NO RESULTS YET, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back