Fine hair and hair extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairyGeek

Reaction score
So I have samples of a few lengths and weights of nano rings and spoken to quite a few regular users who all say the same... They prefer 1g nano tips so they don't have to apply as many to get the same effect and also they're less noticeable because less are installed.

I still can't get my head around this. I have heard people saying you should use thinner strands of any extensions for finer hair to help it blend and reduce visibility of a large bond and not to out too much weight strain in a smaller amount of hair, but iv also heard people say they love 1g in fine hair because you can fit so much more hair in.

Is this bad practise or can you have fine strong hair that can support as much weight as thick hair?

I know salons that only use 1g strands for everyone because 0.5g take too long to fit.

I learnt at my training that if someone has fine hair, you should only use 0.8g extensions. I use those for my hair and it looks super natural! Here's a photo of me with my extensions in an my natural hair is only to my collarbone :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 166
I thought nano rings were designed for fine hair, yet most suppliers sell them in 1g strands.

Hi I was trained to only use 0.6-0.8g strands in fine hair only. I have ladies with fine hair, which I use the shrinkies method, which works well 😄

I vary depending on the natural hair my supplier does 0.9 which is fab and 1g double drawn for thicker hair

It's not just how they are attached, it's mainly to do with weight, I mainly use 0.8G flat bonds but even with my ladies with fine hair I snip a bit off and definitely cut them in half (longways) round the sides so there is no tension on the finer hairs, and so they don't show.
This is why I prefer the pre bonded method, I can alter the bonds easily.
I trained in Hair In Recovery with Racoon International and with people who have previously experienced hair loss, the longest they recommended was 12" hair so I now stock this in pre bonded but in 0.5G per strand.

This is where extensions can end up getting a bad name, For fine hair you just cant use the same thicker strands you would for thicker hair.
I have worked and trained in many hair loss clinics and consultancies and all have regular clients that just have naturally really fine hair, women with super fine hair will never be able to have a full volume mane of hair without putting pressure on their bio hair, The best solution is either fusion or pre-bonds, so you can custom the strands to the thickness the clients bio hair can handle... or use nano rings with a lighter wight.

Thanks for the replies, I might practise retipping to see if I can get them right. Then I could custom make them for clients.

Glad it wasn't just me worried about 1g nano rings being used on fine hair.

Tape extensions are best for fine hair, only downside is the time they say in for before need refitting x

Tape extensions are best for fine hair, only downside is the time they say in for before need refitting x

Thank you, do you use nano tips at all? And for what type of hair? Or just if clients request them?

Latest posts

Back