Fingers and Toes!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie day

Reaction score
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me! I am doing my NVQ in manicure/pedicure at the moment and one of the questions on my paper is 'what grows quicker, finger nails or toe nails?' I haven't got a clue and cannot find the answer anywhere! Is it a trick question or does one actually grow quicker than the other??!!

Sorry, I must sound really stupid!

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Natalie

Hi Hun
Finger nails grow faster than toenails!!!! It should be somewhere in your NVQ work book.......hope that helps.

Thats great thanks very much!

I bet it probably is in the book somewhere but I have done so much today I don't think I am absorbing the information anymore! Should probably take a break.

Thanks again

x

May be a bit long winded of a reply for the actual question but here goes :lol:

"The rate of nail growth varies from digit to digit and individual to individual, with age, environmental temperature and other factors, even with the time of day. The speed of growth is directly related to the length of the digit: the longer the finger the faster the nail growth. This is probably due to the blood supply and activity of the area. Consequently, on the hand the nail of the middle finger is the fastest growing and that of the little finger is the slowest growing, growth ranging from 0.5mm to 1.2mm per week. It takes on average from 4 to 6 months for a fingernail to grow from the matrix to the free edge. The nails on the dominant hand grow more quickly than those on the other hand. A nail on an inflamed finger will grow more quickly than normal. These effects are linked to the increased blood supply.

Fingernails grow approximately 2 to 3 times more quickly than toenails. Nails grow faster in the summer than in the winter; and faster in younger people than older people."

Manicure, Pedicure and Advanced Nail Techniques, Elaine Almond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back