Finish filing advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minkeybox

Reaction score
Harrow!

I did my CND L&P conversion course last week and have done about 11 sets on Jeff (the practice hand) since.I'm actually quite happy with how they are coming along, but am a bit unsure about finish filing. I've left my notebook in the shop so wanted some opinions/advice.

Whats your routine for finish filing? I've been -
Using the 120 side of the outblack to clear any obvious bumps
The going over with the 240 side of a Koala to smooth
then having a half ar***d attempt at buffing with the 3 sides of a girlfriend buffer!

I still seem to have a bit of an unrefined finish? Theres no obvious bumps but I feel I can see scratches. I'm mainly using Warm Pink Perfect Colour powder, does this not buff to a high shine? I cant work out if im not buffing long enough or if its not designed to be buffed (we didn't use this on the conversion- just did a forever french with a very sheer pink which buffed up lovely but i dont like the consistency of the powder)

I don't seem to be able to attach some pics for a bit of critique, but Ive somehow created a media album-

http://www.salongeek.com/media/users/minkeybox.84932/

feel free to tell me if i can improve anywhere. I'm hoping to get to a standard that requires minimal filing but its early days yet lol!

Coooo-eeee @CocoAllure you are one of my 'go to' acrylic girlies ;D

xx

Omg I just randomly clicked on this thread and you've tried calling out to me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm here I'm here

I've read your list of files used but one is missing the 80 grit?? I always start off with that one it's very important does most of the refining

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1460477409.423760.jpg

This is the warm pink, I've buffed and got it this shiney with the glossing file
I don't like the girlfriend buffer. It's ok but it doesn't get it shiney much

Harrow!! Thanks poppet :)

Oohhhh, I haven't got an 80 grit on my list, did you mean 180?? (just double checking as tis all new to me)

That would make sense as the trainer said we will need Hot Shots & that one is a 180, so that's prob where I am going wrong, I'm skipping the first step!

Do you know if the opaque colour plus powders buff to a high shine? I don't know if I'm giving up too soon or if I'm buffing something not designed to be buffed..... when I used to have my nails done my tech used to finish with Brisa Gel Top Coat over the opaque powder, so I'm none the wiser xx

Ahh, I see you have answered about the glossing- I'm a bit behind lol.

Ooh, maybe I should try the glossing buffer next time, I have all this written down conveniently in a book I have left at the shop haha!

Thanks hun! xx

You need to refine the shape with the 180, nothing lower on freshly applied L&P. So keep going until there's absolutely no lumps or bumps left at all. Use the Koala to remove any file marks leftover (because that's all there should be now). When using your girlfriend buffer you have to buff vigorously! Work fast and methodically with it. You'll find it will show up any unevenness (is that a word? o_O) in which case you go back to the 180 and start again.

Omg I just randomly clicked on this thread and you've tried calling out to me [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I'm here I'm here

I've read your list of files used but one is missing the 180 grit?? I always start off with that one it's very important does most of the refining

Yea sorry guys I meant the 180

The scratches you can get rid of with the boomerang. You need to get the boomerang and go really fast over the nail that really takes out all of the scratches

I go slightly different:-

180 to smooth out bumps and lumps
240 koala to smooth surface
1200side of koala + solar oil to reduce scratches
Client wash off oil
wipe with scrub fresh
Buff with 2 way buffer

Thanks ladies! Its one of those light bulb moments, where now you come to mention it.... lol

I'm totally skipping a 180! The trainer told us we would use them & I bought a pack from S2, but totes forgot about it!

I shall have a go at buffing again tonight & will try Trinitys way, though I must admit I get arm ache & my attention wavers.... Hence the half ar**d attempts previously :( The powders do buff to lovely colour, but i think I'll sway clients towards Shellac or Vinylux pmsl

Thanks again ladies xx

Thanks ladies! Its one of those light bulb moments, where now you come to mention it.... lol

I'm totally skipping a 180! The trainer told us we would use them & I bought a pack from S2, but totes forgot about it!

I shall have a go at buffing again tonight & will try Trinitys way, though I must admit I get arm ache & my attention wavers.... Hence the half ar**d attempts previously :( The powders do buff to lovely colour, but i think I'll sway clients towards Shellac or Vinylux pmsl

Thanks again ladies xx

It's all the different wonderful files! I get lost in it all at times. My fav has to be the boomerang and the glossing file- I don't know why I prefer the file to the block

We got a sample pack in training! Its awesome! I want to use the green side to matt shellac, but havent tried it on anyone but Jeff yet :(

My original acrylic training was college based- generic white blocks, grey blocks and files so sharp I cut more than one client trying to file round the cuticle area :( It was part of the reason I gave up. It was such hard work! These lil beauties are the creme de la creme of the file world & im totes in love!!

Have a 10 pack of Koalas, hotshots & outblacks. Im fast become a file addict xx

[Whispers] I don't use Girlfriend Buffers.....they're lovely but way too expensive.....I have sourced some cheap two way b
glossing blocks that work just as well. Don't tell CocoAllure it will break her heart that I'm betraying my CND roots :eek:;)

files so sharp I cut more than one client trying to file round the cuticle area :( It was part of the reason I gave up. It was such hard work!

Abrasives ladies, we CND techs are taught to call them abrasives, files are what papers are kept in ;):p

Minkeybox - use an old abrasive to run down the edges of any new abrasive to remove the sharp edges and prevent cutting anyone, you can do it to the blocks too :D

Trinity is my nail fairy. When I see her name pop up I hear church chimes somewhat hail 'allelujah' allelujah allelujah (u get my drift ) full of knowledge and wisdom then fee. She's up there too but trinity with that smile. She breaks my heart when she mentions another brand but I soon forget and forgive and she does it again but it's ok she's still my fairy ☄[emoji92][emoji92][emoji92]☄ yes I know I need to get a life.

I'm not so sure on the girlfriend buffer. What is it meant to do without sounding really thick? I use it but can't see any difference so I skip using it all together. Is it meant to be used with solar oil. Because I know you can't use solar oil on the glossing one it burns it away.??

Ahhhh, Abrasives! I am a nail world Eliza Doolittle, learning the terminology all proper like! :)

The trainer did say the glossing buffer dosnt last too long. Ive not had much of a go with mine yet so hes still in pretty good shape.

I can see why ppl are so loyal to CND though (apart from Trinitys little glossing block blip *wink) my original training was shocking! Put me off doing them as it was such hard work. This time round its rather enjoyable! Xx

Trinity is my nail fairy. When I see her name pop up I hear church chimes somewhat hail 'allelujah' allelujah allelujah (u get my drift ) full of knowledge and wisdom then fee. She's up there too but trinity with that smile. She breaks my heart when she mentions another brand but I soon forget and forgive and she does it again but it's ok she's still my fairy ☄[emoji92][emoji92][emoji92]☄ yes I know I need to get a life.

I'm not so sure on the girlfriend buffer. What is it meant to do without sounding really thick? I use it but can't see any difference so I skip using it all together. Is it meant to be used with solar oil. Because I know you can't use solar oil on the glossing one it burns it away.??

Fee, me? That's incredibly kind of you Coco, if so.

If it helps ease the pain I was exclusively CND for 3 years, but certain classes and products aren't offered that I needed in my life lol. My salon windows still display my CND posters with pride x

Seriously you crack me up :p

Girlfriend buffer is a big fat glossing buffer, no Solar Oil it will trash it. The shine they produce is amazing but clients don't see different levels of shine like we do. So a pack of 5 Girlfriends used to be about a tenner+VAT, my little cheapie are less than 50p each and do about 85% of the shine - that works for me :D

I agree, I had a light bulb moment reading one of Trinity's posts. Changed my work straight away.
Fee, you always have great detailed advice and are never rude or condescending and Pure is the same.

Latest posts

Back