Finish filing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ongen

Reaction score
How many of you finish file with a hand file vs e-file (or both)? Would be super thankful to know your pros and cons with chosen method ☺️ tia

I use a hand file!

Efile is quicker, certain bits allow you to get a very flush to the cuticle. If you’ve colour blocked or capped a design you can very quickly remove any excess product. Less strain on your joints. Less cost replacing hand files.
Hand file, if your application is spot on then this will suffice. It’s better to apply it correctly then less filing will be needed however that’s not always easy for beginners. Not everyone is confident or qualified in e filing.
I always hand filed to finish until recently when I bought new bits and love them for finishing. I still give a quick hand file but it’s very brief.

Efile is quicker, certain bits allow you to get a very flush to the cuticle. If you’ve colour blocked or capped a design you can very quickly remove any excess product. Less strain on your joints. Less cost replacing hand files.
Hand file, if your application is spot on then this will suffice. It’s better to apply it correctly then less filing will be needed however that’s not always easy for beginners. Not everyone is confident or qualified in e filing.
I always hand filed to finish until recently when I bought new bits and love them for finishing. I still give a quick hand file but it’s very brief.
Thank you! Do you have any opinions on bits? Feels most natural to use a sanding bit as it’s “the same” as a hand file ☺️

Thank you! Do you have any opinions on bits? Feels most natural to use a sanding bit as it’s “the same” as a hand file [emoji5]

I rarely use a sanding band. I have numerous different bits from different brands. My favourites are Attwood Industries.

I rarely use a sanding band. I have numerous different bits from different brands. My favourites are Attwood Industries.

You’ll get heat build up if you use a sanding hand on a high speed

Thanks! I’ll have a look at them ☺️ I’ve seen many of our fellow geeks recommending them as well.

Thank you, Anna! ☺️ May I ask, do you use hand file all the way through a service, or e-file and hand file?

I finish file using a hand file, but I don't do designs like ciderella so i rarely need to debulk a lot. :)
On myself when my application can be very sloppy, or when I'm experimenting, I sometimes use my e-file to remove excess product to then continue with my hand file routine.

I use an e-file to remove the product should I need to take it down to a thin layer.

I finish file using a hand file, but I don't do designs like ciderella so i rarely need to debulk a lot. :)
On myself when my application can be very sloppy, or when I'm experimenting, I sometimes use my e-file to remove excess product to then continue with my hand file routine.

I use an e-file to remove the product should I need to take it down to a thin layer.
Thank you Anna and @ciderella71 So helpful to see your ways of working ☺️ very grateful for you sharing your experience!

Depends what mood I'm in, I think. Sometimes I'll give a quick sweep over the the efile first, but I always do my last bits with a handfile.

Depends what mood I'm in, I think. Sometimes I'll give a quick sweep over the the efile first, but I always do my last bits with a handfile.
Thanks! ☺️ I think this is towards where I’ll be heading too ☺️

I do both efile for all prep and after application. I finish file by hand. I have started to use the q-buff series for buffing which really saves my hands and buffs them so much better than by hand.

I use a e-file for the debulking etc but always finish with a hand file x

I do both efile for all prep and after application. I finish file by hand. I have started to use the q-buff series for buffing which really saves my hands and buffs them so much better than by hand.
Thanks for your reply! Would you mind explaining what the q-buff series are..? Google gave me very strange results XD

bits-and-sanding-bands-q-buffers-medium-10-per-pack-1_medium.jpeg
bits-and-sanding-bands-q-buffers-shiny-10-per-pack-1_medium.jpg

Here are a couple photos they have varying grits to get to shining. These two shown are ones that I use. The first one being the one that I use the most. The other for shining. What I do is attach the buffer to a mandrel then go to town. From what I know it only works for 3/32 shank size.

Oooh looks fantastic! Will definitely look into. Thank you! ☺️

Hand file works best and easy to handle for me.

I agree hand filing works the best. But for me I have 8-10 clients a day and after the 5 or earlier my hands do get tired. So this is a solution that I have found that works for me that works and is a huge relief to overworking my hands.

Latest posts

Back