Finishing off Confusion, Filing? File Grip?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Im a beginner with about 50 full set acrylics under my belt, & have only recently found this amazing site, but the more I read Iv realised that I may not have been taught in the correct way. Could someone please please help!!! Finishing off - Iv been taught after applying product ,to file off with 100 grit abrasive, then white block, then buff nail to a shine, then last stage is to apply solaroil and massage in. Finished! Is that right????? Please can all you talented geeks tell me your finishing off routine. Ahh nearly forgot!! Just read File grip tutorial, I hold my file at one end with my thumb on top, but would like to retrain myself to hold it in the way the tutorial shows, handshake grip with index finger on top. Do you use this grip when filing all areas on the nail - both side walls, apex etc?? Someone please enlighten me!! Apologies for so many questions, but keep losing my threads, he he. Many Thanks, Sarah.

You use many different grips on the file to acheive many different things.

There are lots more tutorials on finishing etc or you can purchase the book which contains them all called 'nailclass' which is available from mundo just click on books.

thats the same way that i do mine and so far i have had no complaints from any of my clients they love the way i do there nails

Sorry I can't help with the file grip. I'm not sure how I do it.

After applying your product you should not use a file with a lower grit then 180. I usually just use a 240 grit to refine, then buff in solar oil with a 1200 grit. Remove oil and buff to high shine or apply polish.

I could never come to terms with the "hand shake extended index finger" but I have mutant hands (RSI - Carpel Tunnel Syndrome & Nerve damage!) I do similar but use my thumb to apply the pressure as the index would, I can also get a better arc or rocking motion while filing this way.... I guess in the end as long as ur getting the job done the right way and not cutting anyone to bits with ur file.. it doesn't really matter what your style is.

I would never start to refine with a 100 grit file, you'll be taking all day to get the scratches out of the surface of the enhancement, they're fine for shaping free edge and side walls though......try starting with a 180, refine your shape, switch to a 240, refine some more, switch to your buffers and away you go!

Thanks loads for the reply, I was panicing that I wasnt doing it correctly, but it feels more comfortable the other way, and you can keep your file moving more easily. Thanks, Sarah x

Thankyou Cathie, I really appreciate the advice, I wondered why I was finding it so hard to remove the scratches. x x x

I would never start to refine with a 100 grit file, you'll be taking all day to get the scratches out of the surface of the enhancement, they're fine for shaping free edge and side walls though......try starting with a 180, refine your shape, switch to a 240, refine some more, switch to your buffers and away you go!

Absolutely agree........and if your application has gone according to plan you only need the 180 grit to refine length of the free edge...but all surface work can be done with a 220 or 240 grit.

Latest posts

Back