finishing techniques for airbrushing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steph

Reaction score
hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips for removing paint from the skin around the nail after airbrushing?
i usually top coat the nail then wipe over the skin with a baby wipe wrapped around my finger. (takes ages and a tedious job!) :(
i have heard of applying petroleum jelly onto the skin first but thought this may be a bit risky in case any went onto the nail. also probably difficult to get jelly neatly on the cuticle area so would end up getting the trusty baby wipes out anyway? :confused:
would appreciate any tips and advice. thanks steph x :D

Hi Steph,

What kind of airbrush paint are you using? Medea and Too Much Fun paints are a breeze to remove. I know Createx are more difficult which is why I changed brands.

Some people use those horseshoe shaped forms to protect the skin, that works but I find it a little time consuming.

With the paints I use (Medea/TMF) I apply the top coat, then just clean up around the cuticles with a bit of water on a Q-tip. This cleans most of it up until they can get home, then I tell them to just soak in a little warm water and gently rub around their cuticles with a little soap and flannel until the remainder comes away.

I've attached a pic of some nails I did the other night - the only cleaning up I have done is as described and there's barely any paint left to see.

The main thing is practice so you don't get paint everywhere, just where you want it to go, but this comes with time, and even then, there'll always be a slight overspray.

Good luck.
Jackie

Attachments

• P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 256
ooh jackie they are beautiful, really pretty,

Awww..... thanks! :o

JackieMc said:
Hi Steph,

What kind of airbrush paint are you using? Medea and Too Much Fun paints are a breeze to remove. I know Createx are more difficult which is why I changed brands.

Some people use those horseshoe shaped forms to protect the skin, that works but I find it a little time consuming.

With the paints I use (Medea/TMF) I apply the top coat, then just clean up around the cuticles with a bit of water on a Q-tip. This cleans most of it up until they can get home, then I tell them to just soak in a little warm water and gently rub around their cuticles with a little soap and flannel until the remainder comes away.

I've attached a pic of some nails I did the other night - the only cleaning up I have done is as described and there's barely any paint left to see.

The main thing is practice so you don't get paint everywhere, just where you want it to go, but this comes with time, and even then, there'll always be a slight overspray.

Good luck.
Jackie
Outstanding Jackie!!! Fab colour choices!

Steph said:
hi everyone, i was wondering if anyone had any good tips for removing paint from the skin around the nail after airbrushing?
i usually top coat the nail then wipe over the skin with a baby wipe wrapped around my finger. (takes ages and a tedious job!) :(
i have heard of applying petroleum jelly onto the skin first but thought this may be a bit risky in case any went onto the nail. also probably difficult to get jelly neatly on the cuticle area so would end up getting the trusty baby wipes out anyway? :confused:
would appreciate any tips and advice. thanks steph x :D
Hi Steph
I dont do airbrushing but a friend of mine does loads (Ali's Nails) and she always uses a corrector pen which is basically a pen with non-acetone nail polisher remover in. I use it for ordinary mistakes with polish and find it fantastic coz you can get right down the sides (even more so than with a cotton bud) coz the tip is pointed especially for the job. I get them in my local wholesaler and they are only £1.35 + VAT each.

I have to agree with Jackie. Wipe round with a cotton bud and then ask the client to wash their hands. Works really well but i do find met colours harder. Great nails jackie!

Hi Jackie,
Told you you were the queen of the airbrushing - very nice indeed.

Awww- thanks peeps! :o :o :o :o Must add that I only put the pic up to show how little paint is left once I've cleaned up, when using Medea paints (but I LOVE the compliments - :D ). When I used to use Createx (although I love some of the colours and still use them occassionally), the clean-up was horrendous and I sent clients home to soak for ages in warm water instructing them to peel the paint off when it became rubbery... :eek:

Actually, I think that corrector pen is a really good idea and hadn't thought of trying that. I'll be buying one at the first opportunity, as Carole says, it's nice and pointy and should get where those Q-tips can't reach. I've never used one before - does a lot of liquid come out or is it pretty controllable?

JackieMc said:
Awww- thanks peeps! :o :o :o :o Must add that I only put the pic up to show how little paint is left once I've cleaned up, when using Medea paints (but I LOVE the compliments - :D ). When I used to use Createx (although I love some of the colours and still use them occassionally), the clean-up was horrendous and I sent clients home to soak for ages in warm water instructing them to peel the paint off when it became rubbery... :eek:

Actually, I think that corrector pen is a really good idea and hadn't thought of trying that. I'll be buying one at the first opportunity, as Carole says, it's nice and pointy and should get where those Q-tips can't reach. I've never used one before - does a lot of liquid come out or is it pretty controllable?
Hi Jackie: no free flowing liquid comes out at all so its totally controllable. I love them. They do dry up quite quickly so just poor a little into the cap of your polish remover and dip it and it gives the same results!

Apparently, according to Geeg, the competition winners use Nailfresh on a brush and that works but i wouldnt know about that. I'd want to be able to press on a solid point to be able to get around and cant see how a brush could do that but i guess she knows what she's talking about.

JackieMc said:

Fab nails jackie -

in the interim why not apply some moisturiser/cutilce oil or vasacline around the nail plate (obviously not touching it) to make it easier to remove the overspray in the iterim, plus I used a orange stick wrapped in cotton wool and dip in acetone free polish remover before I got my remover pen...htp....

Hi guys

I get client to wash hands when top coat is dry, with the soap on the hands I quickly rub area with toothbrush, unused of course. This removes all the excess and the clients are amazed that the airbrush paint doesnt get removed from their nail - under the water. Just makes them feel like you know your stuff for some reason.

Just be careful not to get top coat on to skin as this will stop paint being removed, and you would need to use NV remover.

Take it easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back